9.3x62 Does anyone shoot it?

Hoss50

My caliber tendencies sometimes play towards the more eclectic side, and 9.3x62 has me intrigued. Does anyone shoot it? How does it shoot, what do I need to know?

I wanted to get a CZ550FS in it but CZ discontinued them a few years ago.

Now I am looking at the Sauer 100 which shows at a reasonable price if they come back into stock.

My caliber tendencies sometimes play towards the more eclectic side, and 9.3x62 has me intrigued. Does anyone shoot it? How does it shoot, what do I need to know?

I wanted to get a CZ550FS in it but CZ discontinued them a few years ago.

Now I am looking at the Sauer 100 which shows at a reasonable price if they come back into stock.

I don't hear a lot of talk about it here…..but it's a very popular cartridge on another site that I frequent! Go figure! 🙂 memtb

Last edited:
Think 375 H&H light. It is a great all round cartridge. I also like the 7x64 and its bigger brother the 9.3x64. The 9.3x57 is even more popular and very easy to ream out to 62. The 9.3z62 is a hard hitting round with relatively light recoil given the terminal performance it delivers. The 286 grain Orxy bullet is a great choice.

A wide variety of guns are available in Canada in 9.3x57, 9.3x62 and 9.3x64 often called the Brenekee version and the 9.3x74 in double and combination guns.

Last edited:
This is the definitive resource regarding the 9.3x62 Brenneke rifle cartridge:

https://93x62journal.co.za/

The hardcover can be a little pricey but I like to refer back to it.

You can think of the 9.3x62 as a 'light .375' or the usual references are made to the .35 Whelen for comparison. I find that the x62 fits that category nicely. It is generically a fine medium power cartridge capable of hunting everything here in the US as well as Europe and most game in Africa. It was at one time the most popular and common cartridge in Africa.

I prefer to use the 9.3x64 and the 9.3x57 cartridges for first choices with the x64 getting picked for larger, heavier game and the x57 in Mannlicher–Schönauer dress called upon for deer and medium game. There is also a fine example made by Husqvarna in the M98 or the M96 version.

There is a decent selection of bullets available here for reloading from 200 grain up to the 320 grain Woodleigh. The 250 grain Ballistic Tip is probably the most popular due to availability and the 285/286 grain being somewhat traditional in the heavier bullets. Partition, Norma Alaskan and the Woodleigh usually carry the load. The short barreled, full stock M-S, shooting the 320 grain Woodleigh is a real thumper for shorter range large bear and moose. Mine is good out to about 400 yards when the energy imparted sets the limit.

Any version of the 9.3 cartridges can provide a ton of fun when reloading!

:)

ADDED:

I just saw this and think it's a good addition to any thinking regarding lighter bullets for hunting and practice:

From Lapua:

1695043429978.png

Last edited:
Chub Eastman loaned me his 9.3x64 Brenneke to test out. It's a pretty neat round, the 9.3x62 would be alittle lighter ballistics wise. But my understanding is you can make the cases out of 30-06 brass. That would be a big plus.

Sako, Mauser, Mannlicher, CZ, Blaser and quite a few others chamber these new. There are also a ton of used rifles like Husquvarna, 98 Mausers, Zastava, including Left hand, etc available for less than 500 U.S. if you are looking for quality rifles very inexpensively.

Last edited:
I have shot and used a 9.3x62 some and really enjoy it. It is easy to load for and is easy to shoot, and it really packs a wallop. Mine is in a Sauer 200. They are Fabulous rifles that shoots about every load that I tried pretty well. Recoil is not bad, even in the 286 gr loads. My current load is with the 250 gr Nosler Accubond at about 2600 ft/sec.

Sako, Mauser, Mannlicher, CZ, Blaser and quite a few others chamber these new. There are also a ton of used rifles like Husquvarna, 98 Mausers etc available for less than 500 U.S. if you are looking for quality rifles very inexpensively.

Is that website legit? I can't find a single 9.3x62 on gun broker under $2000, and they have a dozen. But they are in Canada and it seems a little sketchy to send money up their to try and get 1 here in the US.

Is that website legit? I can't find a single 9.3x62 on gun broker under $2000, and they have a dozen. But they are in Canada and it seems a little sketchy to send money up their to try and get 1 here in the US.
It is legit, I have bought from them a couple of times.
Items are as described. As far as buying direct, you will need the services of an exporter to ship it to the states. Try Borderview, they do it all the time. Have used them quite a few times, good service, fair prices. Cheaper to bring in a few at a time.

It is legit, I have bought from them a couple of times.
Items are as described. As far as buying direct, you will need the services of an exporter to ship it to the states. Try Borderview, they do it all the time. Have used them quite a few times, good service, fair prices. Cheaper to bring in a few at a time.

What is the estimated import fee roughly? By the time I bought a gun and import it, I can probably retrofit my savage with a new barrel and stock to be a 9.3x62.