Does it count?

BCDeerWild

Does it count if you disable a coyote and your dogs finish it off, I hope so. Finally had a coyote go through that I seen and could get a shot off at. It was going along a fenceline that runs between two fields in front of the house that I have ranged. The fence is 700 yards at the north end and 645 where it meets the next fence. I set my scope for 660 and headed out the door for my bench on the front porch. By the time I lined up on him he had moved away from the fence so I held 1 min up and fired. Not enough, as I watched him run up the field I could see a front leg flapping. The second shot was a complete guess and miss. Then I got really lucky and he stopped close too my 800 yard gong. Reset my sights and eyeballed how far he was from the gong, just a bit past. Held 1/2 min high and boom. Down and thrashing, then nothing. Whent into the house to put my rifle away and the wife hollerd he's moveing, back out just too watch him go still, again. Waited a couple of minutes before going back in this time. Got every thing put away and went to start the skidoo while the wife got our son ready to go. Grabbed the 22 and rangefinder and we headed out to go drag it out of the field. Got up near it and he tried to run off on 2 legs. Shot him with the 22 and he quit trying to run, by this time the dogs had caught up and headed over to check this out. The coyote was alive anough to snap at the dogs when they started to chew on him so they would let go, circle around then try again. Took them awhile but since this was thier first? With any luck they will get better with practice.
So, since I didn't kill it does it still count. I hope it does since it's my longest shot yet, from where it whent down to the house was 836 yards. My rangefinder won't pickup coyotes past about 350 but it will range the house out to a 1000 no problem.

660 and 800 counts in my book but what do I know?
good shooting, and you must have the mrs trained well to bundle the pup and go on the search. I'll give ya the hit!
JS

A dead yote is a dead yote and that's what counts.

Yup, I'd count both of those shots as hit, as they hit! and ya got the yote to prove it.

Need more details.

What kind of dogs?

What cartridge/rifle etc.

Is your place for sale? I have to walk 80 yards to my bench /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

And, does your wife have any sisters? I'm looking for a daughter-in-law of that caliber. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The dogs are purebred pitbulls, the rifle is a Rem 700 chambered in 300 weatherby using 178 Amax and 82.6 gr RL22. The place isn't for sale and the wife only has brothers. My mother-in-law is single though; and it looks like your far enough away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.