9.3x62 Does anyone shoot it?

Yea.. that's a no go on the 550FS. I know they started commanding a premium, but then came down, and now appear to be going up some again. Specifically, the 9.3x62 and the 6.5x55. They will become more realistic again.

IMO - the 550FS is NOT worth that money. If you could get into one for $1,000 - $1,250 I would say you are doing very well and they are worth that money.

There are three versions of the stocks (1) slim grip, standard checkering, vented pad, (2) grip got a little more beef to it (but not significant), standard checkering, vented or full but pad depending on production period, and (3) the stock version you see on GB. The stock had some heft and 'thickness' added to it (e.g. the grip has added wood at the bottom, the butt stock has bull added to it), full pad, and checkering has some swirls (sorry for my lack of technical naming here).

I prefer the slim grip (earlier versions) and did not find option (3) very comfortable. Again, my opinion. For whatever it's worth!

If you want to BS further about the FSs, shoot me a PM. I'd happily talk to ya about them.

Zastava makes a full Mauser action with high gloss bluing, in RH and LH. RH you can get a standard stock or a full stock version. Despite a lot of talk I have owned about 6, still have one in LH 7x57. For $800 Canadian they are a GREAT rifle.

1695920018335.png

Last edited:
Zastava makes a full Mauser action with high gloss bluing, in RH and LH. RH you can get a standard stock or a full stock version. Despite a lot of talk I have owned about 6, still have one is LH 7x57. For $800 Canadian they are a GREAT rifle.

View attachment 497417
7x57 is one of my other favorite calibers. Beautiful rifle.

My caliber tendencies sometimes play towards the more eclectic side, and 9.3x62 has me intrigued. Does anyone shoot it? How does it shoot, what do I need to know?

I wanted to get a CZ550FS in it but CZ discontinued them a few years ago.

Now I am looking at the Sauer 100 which shows at a reasonable price if they come back into stock.
I have shot a 9.3 for about 18 years from a cz 550. My rifle has a long freebore and I can seat bullets way out. It takes quite a bit more powder to reach factory velocity than my reloading manuals indicate. I bought Nosler custom ammo for it when I first shot it and the box listed the 286 partition at 2430 fps. I chrongraphed this ammo and was only getting 2213. My current load uses ramshot powder and gets 2410 with a 285 gr Hawk round tip. I have killed deer elk and bear with this rifle with good results. I replaced the scope with a receiver sight and NECG barrel band front years ago, and had the stock slimmed down 'til it looks like the newer model 70 featherweight. At 6lbs 13 oz with 5 down it does jump a bit when firing, but is a joy to carry.

My caliber tendencies sometimes play towards the more eclectic side, and 9.3x62 has me intrigued. Does anyone shoot it? How does it shoot, what do I need to know?

Now I am looking at the Sauer 100 which shows at a reasonable price if they come back into stock.
I have a Husqvarna 9.3 x 62 with Hornady factory 286gr doing 2,400 fps it's a beautiful rifle open sights no scope. Personally I think they could stop anything and recoil isn't too bad.

I have a Husqvarna 9.3 x 62 with Hornady factory 286gr doing 2,400 fps it's a beautiful rifle open sights no scope. Personally I think they could stop anything and recoil isn't too bad.
I have shot a 9.3 for about 18 years from a cz 550. My rifle has a long freebore and I can seat bullets way out. It takes quite a bit more powder to reach factory velocity than my reloading manuals indicate. I bought Nosler custom ammo for it when I first shot it and the box listed the 286 partition at 2430 fps. I chrongraphed this ammo and was only getting 2213. My current load uses ramshot powder and gets 2410 with a 285 gr Hawk round tip. I have killed deer elk and bear with this rifle with good results. I replaced the scope with a receiver sight and NECG barrel band front years ago, and had the stock slimmed down 'til it looks like the newer model 70 featherweight. At 6lbs 13 oz with 5 down it does jump a bit when firing, but is a joy to carry.
They like faster powders

Zastava makes a full Mauser action with high gloss bluing, in RH and LH. RH you can get a standard stock or a full stock version. Despite a lot of talk I have owned about 6, still have one in LH 7x57. For $800 Canadian they are a GREAT rifle.

View attachment 497417
These are great rifles. Mine is in 9.3x62. It shoots better than I can hold it, and is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

i built one on a savage 111 center feed blind mag. using a Shaw prefit 25 inch and a Boyds stock. i started with 286gr Hornady's and brass with cci 250s trying imr 3031 imr 4350 H-335 and ar plus. ended up getting weird pressure signs at starting loads switched to cci 200s and the pressure went away. decided to use 270 gr speers and ppu brass after some load development ended up at 50 grains imr 3031 it kept 3 rounds touching at 50 yards

i built one on a savage 111 center feed blind mag. using a Shaw prefit 25 inch and a Boyds stock. i started with 286gr Hornady's and brass with cci 250s trying imr 3031 imr 4350 H-335 and ar plus. ended up getting weird pressure signs at starting loads switched to cci 200s and the pressure went away. decided to use 270 gr speers and ppu brass after some load development ended up at 50 grains imr 3031 it kept 3 rounds touching at 50 yards
I will be doing this off a 110 action with blind mag. Looking at a B&C stock and a 20" Shaw barrel so I keep it short for a suppressor.

I recently picked up a pre-war JP Sauer & Sohn 98 Sporting rifle. It was chambered in 8x57 and was a "J" bore. The bore was pretty rough but the rest of the rifle was beautiful. I pulled the barrel and sent it to JES Reboring in Oregon and had him rebore and rifle the barrel to 9.3. He couldn't chamber due to the barrel configuration. It is beautifully machined with integral rib and is an octagon that transitions to round just past the forend. I had to make some special holding fixtures to get it in the lathe but finally got the chamber cut to 9.3x62. Just got dies and loading components but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.
The rifle has the bolt stop mounted Lyman receiver sight on it plus one standing and one folded rear sight. Hopefully I can find a load that shoots to that sight. I have a ton of IMR 4350. Does anyone have a favorite load for a 286 grainer?

I rebarreled a Swedish Mauser to 9.3x62 and I love it. Recoil is not what you would think (heavy barrel, even if it is spiral fluted, the big hole makes it where it balances nicely). Buy the real brass (lapua, norma, ppu) do not fire form 06 brass. Be sure to get dies that are for the dedicated, for real brass, and not for bubba redone brass. I use a Redding deluxe die set. Got a expander mandrel I use. Have not tested to see if that makes for more accurate cartridges yet. I also have Lee, RCBS, dies. These measured smaller than Redding. Real 9.3x62 is fatter than 06. Lots of on line reload data. The feeding for the blunt 286 grain bullets is not right and I need to mess with that, but Spitzer pointed rounds feed fine. Would shoot out to 200 yards with the lighter Spitzers. Moose, elk, caribou, nilgai, and bears beware.

I dipped my toes in. I can still stay out of the pool, but I bought a box of hornady 286gr bullets the other day. They are some big slabs of lead.

I also found that Shaw and Preferred make prefit Savage barrels in 9.3x62. Who would you have build a barrel, Shaw or Preferred. Shaw is a little cheaper, but I want a good barrel.
I live in western PA by shaw and have several barrels by them including the 9.3X62 one. The barrel is more accurate than I can shoot. If you are david tubb then maybe look around. I'm not so the shaw is just fine for me.