Anyone shoot Hornady Interlocks

I've shot several hundred Hornady 154gr Interlock bullets out of my .280Rem. They've never failed to do the job. I have several boxes of 139gr BTSP, but I haven't tried them yet, and don't really have a need to. I've killed game out to about 350 yards with my 280Rem using the 154gr Interlocks, (deer, coyotes, fox, groundhogs,crows). I've shot the steel hangers at the range out to 450yards (max available). When I run out of my current supply of 154gr's I'll be trying the 139gr boattails.

Bottom line is, they are cheap because they don't have a multi-million dollar advertising budget for the interlock line, but they work, plain and simple. Are there better options for out past 500yards? Probably, but for me, where I hunt, and the rifle I use, I'll never need anything different.

Regards,
Ross

Ok so if you had a dial scope you'd be comfortable shooting these interlocks further out there (says maybe 550/600 yards)?Accuracy wise and expansion wise?

I would shoot targets further , but not hunt with . between shooting off the reticle , and getting low in velocity , it looks like bad things could happen. for longer range hunting I have a 338 lapua shooting 300 gr Bergers at 2930 FPS .that has a better scope ,and weighs more .
I shoot the 139's in my 7mm-08 Tikka . I have them shooting at 2800FPS . at 400 yards I'm down to 2050 FPS and 1300 energy . this is where I draw the line , the bullet should work . at 550 yards I have 1800 FPS and 1000 energy , this is the minimum , I don't want to go there . this past season I hunted deer in Kansas , for the first time . I didn't know what to expect . I decided to use my 7mm rem mag , and load a 154 interlock bullet . I worked up a load at 3100 FPS . at 550 yards it has 2000 FPS and about 1300 energy . this is where I drew the line on this combo .
for longer range hunting you need to be able to put the bullet where it needs to go , and have enough velocity to make the bullet expand .

here is an article on bullet expansion . sorry 2 of them are upside down . I hope you can read them .
expansion 1.jpg
expansion 2.jpg
expansion 3.jpg

The plain Jane SP 139 is about all my Sako 7mmRM will group under 1moa. And I spent 6mos working up loads for it. I've only shot it out to 425 on deer. Shot black buck antelope at 267yds ran 20yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.