Isolated MagnetoSpeed Sensor Mount

alcesgigas

Pretty simple, but does all that I asked for--easy on and off, repeatable location and consistent results. Most difficult was the bending to get it right. It's made from a cheap "unimount" scope ringset, a 1/4" x 1 1/4" aluminum strap, two 1/4x20 SS cap screws, silicone sealer, and spray painted with textured paint. The unit fastens to the same Pickatinny Rail that the Atlas Bipod and Magpul Swivel Cup are mounted by using a half-inch wrench (pictured).

Attachments

• Isolated MagnetoSpeed Sensor1.jpg
    Isolated MagnetoSpeed Sensor1.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Isolated MagnetoSpeed Sensor2.jpg
    Isolated MagnetoSpeed Sensor2.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Isolated MagnetoSpeed Sensor4.jpg
    Isolated MagnetoSpeed Sensor4.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Isolated MagnetoSpeed Sensor3.jpg
    Isolated MagnetoSpeed Sensor3.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 103
That's the kind of innovation I enjoy seeing.

Kudos on your thinking out of the box!

Great workmanship also.

Great invention to ease the mind regarding POI impact.

You're onto something with that gizmo.

I notice that you are pushing the limits of Magneto's detector placement recommendations. That is a good thing!

I'm in a similar boat as my large 5 port Allen PainKiller brake, 30" barrel and McMillan A-5 prevents your set up. My sensor position is the same as yours and I notice it has no negative effects on MagnetoSpeed operation.

However, the sensor on mine has that metal shield against muzzle blast. They came out with shield for a reason, though I only suspect the reason. With your metal bending skills you may wish to consider another innovation.

I'm pushing anywhere from 140 grains of Retumbo to 150 grains of 50 BMG and that shield thingie isn't even stained yet. :roll eyes:

Again, good work!

I'm liking it because a guy can do load development without the worry of something playing with the harmonics of the barrel.

Now how can we use something like this off of a sling stud with a 26" barrel. :rolleyes:

Jason

Agreed! Y'all might be onto something big! I know I'd buy one of those QD setups for my MSv2, if I could quickly install and remove it from the front swivel stud from one rifle to the next. That would be awesome to make it no longer affect the barrel harmonics, where you could chrono at the same time you're group-testing loads during development.

Wow. That's great. As said before, if I had one of those, I could do load development at the same time as watching groups. Keep up the good work!!

Wow. That's great. As said before, if I had one of those, I could do load development at the same time as watching groups. Keep up the good work!!

Hmmmm,

I have my V3 mounted as I work up loads for groups with out a problem.....I think.:)

I have a fairly massive barrel with about 13 oz of brake and groups are very consistent with pre sensor use.

However, I haven't shot it without the sensor, yet, to see if POI shifts.

One of these days I'll try it on a pencil thin barrel just to see....

My poi changes, but I don't think my groups suffer providing the bayo is strapped good and tight so that it doesn't move at all......Rich

Ran another 17 rounds through the Terminator today, but forgot to put a little silicone sealer "skim" across that area that Roy's "thingie" protects. I saw that a couple months ago on here; checked mine and seemingly no wear, but sure see how there could be. I've a few hundred rounds over my V-2 and still no wear. I think it's because I have it mounted so close that the main blast hits the bayonet above and a tad beyond.

I'm thinking that the resiliency of silicone or Liquid Tape might last. It'd at least protect that area. Here's some pics, including a new girlfriend at the range today:

Attachments

• MS entry1.jpg
    MS entry1.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 92
  • MS entry2.jpg
    MS entry2.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 89
  • MS entry3.jpg
    MS entry3.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Lady of the Range.jpg
    Lady of the Range.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
How did you affix the bayo to the aluminum strap? I am going to do the same thing with my old v1

I was able to use the existing screws (yeah--those 4x40 flat heads believe it or not) that held the spacer bottom plate. When I countersunk the aluminum flat there was plenty of thread grip. I also used silicone sealer to help and to give a good bedding for the flat.

Have you tested it both on the adapter and barrel mounted? The is some evidence its not the barrel mounting but gas reflecting up of the bayo as the actual cause for groups moving up. I think I see this I'm my use, the only guns I have that moved with any significance were all non braked where most of the exit gas is redirected that are also my heavest barreled rifles.

Interesting thought about gas deflection. The change in POI doesn't bother me much. I am concerned that accuracy seems to be affected, especially in some of the lighter barrels I have. I have been doing OCW workups and then I chrono the best load or loads. I would love to chrono during OCW, but I can't stand setting up the old optical systems.

I looked at my old v1 bayo, and no such screws. If I mount it on some sort of extension, I will either have to make some holes or come up with a different plan. I also notice that the sensor table is very close to level with the attachment assembly, so I wont have much room to attach an extender on the top of it without encroaching on the barrel. Have to get creative...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.