Creative ways to mount a magnetospeed?

I have seen someone post this one. I haven't tried anything yet but definitely looking at some options. Depending on the recoil of the rifle this might work, but may have to verify before each shot.

Attachments

• Attach8656_20220302_153100.jpg
    Attach8656_20220302_153100.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 598
That is my bench mount! I posted it on another website. Some guys are modifying some inexpensive front rests. I had this aluminum box kicking around that I put together for another purpose which didn't work out.

I found the concrete bench found at many ranges to be too short to properly set up the unit and a rifle in a front rest and rear bag. I made a plywood extension that quickly C clamps to the front of bench for the magneto speed box.

The threaded rod is also threaded on top for a small bolt that holds the bayonet. The aluminum box is threaded so the rod can be rotated for height. The rear knob is used to raise or lower the base to get bayonet parallel to the barrel.

The way I set it up is to get rifle on the front rest and rear bag and aiming at the target. I put a cut down old plastic coated cleaning rod in the bore and adjust the magneto speed.

The bayonet bolt on top is loosened first which allows the bayonet to remain stationary as height is adjusted. Then the locknut on the vertical threaded shaft is also loosened. The threaded shaft is adjusted for height, then the lock nut is tightened. Lastly the bayonet bolt is tightened. The rear knob can tilt the assembly to get the perfect gap under the barrel.

I took these pics on my old paint covered work table.

Here are two clearer pictures:
1648382869000.png

1648382687850.png

And one at the range showing the plywood bench extension
1648383289463.jpeg

1648383546815.jpeg

Last edited:
That is my bench mount! I posted it on another website. Some guys are modifying some inexpensive front rests. I had this aluminum box kicking around that I put together for another purpose which didn't work out.

I found the concrete bench found at many ranges to be too short to properly set up the unit and a rifle in a front rest and rear bag. I made a plywood extension that quickly C clamps to the front of bench for the magneto speed box.

The threaded rod is also threaded on top for a small bolt that holds the bayonet. The aluminum box is threaded so the rod can be rotated for height. The rear knob is used to raise or lower the base to get bayonet parallel to the barrel.

The way I set it up is to get rifle on the front rest and rear bag and aiming at the target. I put a cut down old plastic coated cleaning rod in the bore and adjust the magneto speed.

The bayonet bolt on top is loosened first which allows the bayonet to remain stationary as height is adjusted. Then the locknut on the vertical threaded shaft is also loosened. The threaded shaft is adjusted for height, then the lock nut is tightened. Lastly the bayonet bolt is tightened. The rear knob can tilt the assembly to get the perfect gap under the barrel.

I took these pics on my old paint covered work table.

Here are two clearer pictures:
View attachment 353530

View attachment 353529
And one at the range showing the plywood bench extension
View attachment 353531
View attachment 353532
Great idea.

Thanks. I guess I should get around to sanding off the aluminum alloy labels and round the sharp edges. I have a friend who could cero kote it for me. Oh well it functions just fine.

Mount MacGyver's wet dream in the trash can and get a LabRadar......

No need to trash the magneto. I have both magneto and labradar - they BOTH have a place and neither can do everything. For a quick speed on a customers rifle when it's zero degrees outside, the magneto slips on the barrel, then a window opens, and in less than a minute I have a speed. I can't do that with my labradar. On the other hand if I want a lot of data without effecting accuracy or POI then I take the time to set up my labradar. I think the idea here of a mount that does not hang off of the rifle and is easy to use has a lot of merit.

No need to trash the magneto. I have both magneto and labradar - they BOTH have a place and neither can do everything. For a quick speed on a customers rifle when it's zero degrees outside, the magneto slips on the barrel, then a window opens, and in less than a minute I have a speed. I can't do that with my labradar. On the other hand if I want a lot of data without effecting accuracy or POI then I take the time to set up my labradar. I think the idea here of a mount that does not hang off of the rifle and is easy to use has a lot of merit.
I apologize for trashing MacGyver.........

This is what I came up with, it's good not great. But it works.
View attachment 355015
Like your shooting bench and gun. And, your Magnetospeed device........MacGyver is bursting with pride!!!! I think I see where you might add a pipe union and dab of duct tape for the MacGyver Whole Enchilada Award. One thing certain about Magnetospeeds, they foster ingenuity and creativity. Every Engineering program student should receive a Magnetospeed at enrollment as the basis for a Senior graduation design project. :) :) :)

Nice job Stewert! Never thought of using pipes.

I will admit I tried some other versions.

Tried attaching to front rest: I had many pieces for dial indicators. The multiple segments allowed plenty of adjustment movements. The weight of the sensor caused lightweight arms to move too easily. Kept trying

Attached the quick release base of a manfrotto tripod. It required many movements in front of the bench to get it just right. Not the best for a public range

Used the top of an old tripod. At least it was rigid. Required unclamping to move forward or rearward. The box shown earlier in the thread is the best so far.

Nice job Stewert! Never thought of using pipes.

I will admit I tried some other versions.

Tried attaching to front rest: I had many pieces for dial indicators. The multiple segments allowed plenty of adjustment movements. The weight of the sensor caused lightweight arms to move too easily. Kept trying

Attached the quick release base of a manfrotto tripod. It required many movements in front of the bench to get it just right. Not the best for a public range

Used the top of an old tripod. At least it was rigid. Required unclamping to move forward or rearward. The box shown earlier in the thread is the best so far.
Very creative. RingyDingy One.....RingyDingy Two........ Whoa!!! I've got MacGyver on the other line here. Wants to borrow your adapter for his new Rube Goldberg Exhibit.... :) :) :)

Magnetospeed is missing the marketing opportunity in not offering a MacGyver Adapter Kit Series........Rube Goldberg Edition, Redneck Edition, Sanford & Son Edition, Engineer Edition, Jury Rigged Edition, N_______ Rigged Edition, Duct Tape Edition, Burn It Together Edition, Super Super Glue Edition, Twist & Zip Ties Edition, Rubber Band & Paper Clip Edition, Louisiana Edition, Mississippi Edition, Arkansas Edition, NY & NJ & CA Edition (expensive as Hell, requires 14 unobtainium permits, ATF shoots your dog, confiscates it), For the Children Edition, Hair On Fire - We're All Gonna Die Edition, Whole Kit & Kaboodle Edition, et el. Collectors Societies, Club franchising, reality shows, Macgyver autograph signings, T's, caps, branded bling........ Oh, the possibilities. The Marketer's wet dream. Could relegate Legos, Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys into the dust bin of history.