Is the 243 the best whitetail deer cartridge?

View attachment 478312

For those who believe the old error that you must have 1,000 ft/lbs "minimum" of energy to kill deer sized game, here is a ballistic chart for one of my 10" Contenders in 7mmTCU. Its a 120gr Sierra bullet at 2,000fps sighted at 100yds and altitude charted for the old family farm in the South. Notice it falls below the 1,000 ft/lbs "minimum" before 50yds, and at 200yds, it is 672 ft/lbs.

That handgun and old load has been killing deer for 4 decades, and some very close to my 200yd self-imposed limit for that barrel length and load. Add this to the numerous other posts on many other calibers starting or impacting well below the 1,000# mark, and its time to let this go.
Yeah you know more then bullet manufacturers who recommend 1800 fps minimum for their bullets to perform. 1000#'s of energy is usually pretty close to that. But as discussed less energy with well places shot will still kill. But what if you don't get that perfect broadside shot.

But what if you don't get that perfect broadside shot.
Honestly the broadside shot gives me an opportunity at that space between the fourth and fifth rib about 6-8" up from the belly.
High and you ruin a shoulder roast.
Low and you miss.
Forward and you break a leg.
Aft and you lung the beast.

I find better opportunities with front and rear quartering shots.
Include being at even a slightly higher elevation and head on into the brisket for a fifth location.

That makes it five to two perfect places to put a round.

I really don't prefer a broadside. Not that I won't take that shot but I don't prefer it.

So page 40 is getting closer. Lets get apples to apples with 25/06>6mm/06.
and do oranges to oranges with 243>25 Souper. If any 25/08 fans have any experience with 243, please chime in and leave us your experience for comparison.

A fast 22 cal is my favorite on deer in the fields. Woods hunting I bump up to my big gun, the mighty 25-06.
In pa there's as many 243s as there are 270s in the deer woods taking plenty of deer here every season with federal blue box from Wally World. But you know those armor plated deer sneer at any bullet under 150 grains and laugh a big belly laugh at the thought being shot with such a small gun.

I watched two buddies on two different occasion drop bucks in their tracks at over 600 yards with 6mm. One was a CA black tail and the other a mule deer. I would say .243 works great.

I just bought a .243 for coyote hunting as I live in a "straight wall state." I grew up in Kansas where we could use a better rifle caliber, first a 30-06, then a .308. A neighbor used a .270 which Dad regarded as too light for deer. Wait, I have a .270 and a 6.5 creedmoor too. But am stuck using a 350 legend.

Getting one for an elephant and rhino hunt.:cool:

You could also use it for the extinct T-Rex as a dual-purpose cartridge…….it can bring them back to life, and then slay them! That's a true " dual-purpose/do it all" cartridge! 😉

"All Hail" the phenomenal 6.5 CM! 🙏 memtb

You could also use it for the extinct T-Rex as a dual-purpose cartridge…….it can bring them back to life, and then slay them! That's a true " dual-purpose/do it all" cartridge! 😉

"All Hail" the phenomenal 6.5 CM! 🙏 memtb
The T rex is extinct because of the 6.5CM. Hornady just brought the 6.5 back to life after a cooling off period. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I just bought a .243 for coyote hunting as I live in a "straight wall state." I grew up in Kansas where we could use a better rifle caliber, first a 30-06, then a .308. A neighbor used a .270 which Dad regarded as too light for deer. Wait, I have a .270 and a 6.5 creedmoor too. But am stuck using a 350
Should've got a 450 bm or 45-70. A little more range then the 350 Legend. That 350 Legend ain't got no a**.