Is the 243 the best whitetail deer cartridge?

I have found the 243 is just too large for my whitetail rifle:) Added another 6mm Arc to the stable this year with a Howa Mini with a 22" barrel

There is not doubt that the .243 will kill any deer that walks, up to and including elk, with proper bullets like the Nosler Partition with well placed shots just like a 300 Win Mag will not kill a deer when shot in the gut, at least not humanely.

I'm not looking for a cartridge that will kill effectively under ideal conditions, I'm looking for one that will work in a worst case scenario. I want one that will work all the time, under any condition, if I do my part. That begins with the 270 Win with 140s, the 308 with 165s and the 7mm with 175s but that's just my preference.

I shot of literally a "buck of a lifetime" last year, I had a 308 with plain ole Hornady 165s, he's at the taxidermist now. I shot him quartering to me and the bullet did it's job and exited the far side, he literally didn't take a step.

The .243 may have done same but I'll never know!

There is not doubt that the .243 will kill any deer that walks, up to and including elk, with proper bullets like the Nosler Partition with well placed shots just like a 300 Win Mag will not kill a deer when shot in the gut, at least not humanely.

I'm not looking for a cartridge that will kill effectively under ideal conditions, I'm looking for one that will work in a worst case scenario. I want one that will work all the time, under any condition, if I do my part. That begins with the 270 Win with 140s, the 308 with 165s and the 7mm with 175s but that's just my preference.

I shot of literally a "buck of a lifetime" last year, I had a 308 with plain ole Hornady 165s, he's at the taxidermist now. I shot him quartering to me and the bullet did it's job and exited the far side, he literally didn't take a step.

The .243 may have done same but I'll never know!
Now we need to see a picture of the deer

A little background, my father in law debated me one time, 243 is the best deer cartridge. I said, naw, it's the 30-06. He said no way, the 243 kills them just as dead, sweetest shooting cartridge with no recoil, and very flat and fast.

Shortly after that, I 'd gotten on a lease and bought a 243 as a back up to my trusty 30-06 and for my father in law to use when I took him as my guest. Well guess what? I've come to believe he's right. I've shot deer with calibers up to 375H&H and pistol calibers 45 ACP and 41 magnum and nothing kills deer as quickly as that 243.

Since then I bought a small frame 243 Tikka T3 for my kids to use as their first deer rifle. That gun is a tack driver and kills deer dead right there. It's light, smooth action, relatively inexpensive, sized right for kids and comes with shims to grow with them. My buddy took his youngest of three sons out to hunt his first deer this weekend. Borrowed that 243. One shot, DRT! Loved the gun.

Just more proof in my mind that my father in law was right. The 243 is the best deer cartridge. I don't know what it is, speed? sweet-spot diameter of bullet? Just the right amount of energy? Love to hear others' thoughts and reactions, both pro and con!
It was until the 6mm Creedmoor came out :) same diameter bullet, but you can get heavier and longer bullets, I'm shooting 105 and 115 gr bergers out of mine, super fast, flat shooter, but now I have more range and better bullet than a typicall 243. It also depends on how long the shots are, we are in AZ hunting those coues deer, and typically need longer shots.

I switched to a 6cm about 4 years ago in the search for the perfect small kids gun and Remington had the short run of Remington CP's. Had 2 barreled to 6CMas there was ammo for the 6cm but not much for the 243. My boys are lethal with those 6 Creedmoors. 243 and 6CM are pretty much the same.
Faster twist barrels for 6mm CM is a serious advantage

There are to many cartridges out there for whitetail deer. The 243 is one of many. I am very comfortable with my 243s. The 243 does offer some advantages such as light recoil, and a huge amount of bullets to choose from if your a reloader. But I've taken quite a few deer with the factory federal 85gf Powr-shok, it's also great for shooting coyotes.
I just acquired 100 rounds. Thanks.

When I hunt in wooded areas with some brush I would rather have a heavier bullet. When I want to have more forgiveness as to shot angles I prefer a heavier bullet. I can't argue with the killing ability of the .243 or other fast sub 120 grain cartridges but if I were going to shoot a quartering too whitetail buck at 50 yards I'd rather have a 30 caliber with a stout bullet of 165-180 grain any day. I've had lighter faster bullets explode on a shoulder bone not making it into the lungs. If I were using a .243 I'd be looking for a well constructed bullet for sure. Just food for thought. If you are always going to wait for the perfect broadside shot then the lighter bullets are fine. Remember, this is just my opinion. But it is based based on years of hunting and dozens of whitetails taken.
It was the statement that the lighter bullets exploded when hitting the shoulder bone that got me thinking. (Yes I know all of you can smell the wood burning ;) ) If your shot hits the shoulder bone, then you have essentially not hit in the kill zone. The shot is supposed to hit right behind the shoulder. The only bone it might hit if shot behind the shoulder would be a rib bone what will not stop the bullet's travel like a shoulder hit will. I doubt that many, if any of you are familiar with the book, "TOUCHING THE WILD," by: Joe Hutto. It is a chronological history of his living among a Mule Deer herd in Wyoming.
On page 152 there is a picture of a deer he has named Casper that has suffered a gun shot wound. The picture shows a crater over the shoulder bone where a bullet hit, then from the looks of it exploded on the shoulder bond and blew back without any penetration beyond the bone. It was like the bullet hit a steel plate, disintegrated and bounced back taking additional flesh with it. To me this looks like the shot mentioned above where the little .243 hit the shoulder bone instead of behind the shoulder where it would have passed into the heart lung area. The issue was not the fact that it was a .243, but the shooter did not place the bullet well, which resulted in their not getting the deer but only wounding it and allowing the wound to fester. Eventually the bullet was ejected and the wound allowed itself to then close up and heal. The deer lived on for another season or more.

The book, "Touching the Wild,"
by Joe Hutto is a very interesting journey into a human interacting with a deer herd, accepted as one of them. There are many insights into how the deer think and react to his presence. It is available on Amazon.com. It is well worth the money as it gives you an insight into a deer's psyche.

Recent Posts