Is my Bergara Bergarbage?

Begara went WAY above and beyond, including offering a full refund on what is clearly not, at least after it was returned, a problem rifle. By all indications it shot great with a factory installed scope, using factory ammo, and decent though not great in the OP's hands even with a cheap Tasco loaner. NF checked the scope and says it is fine, they might not like to admit their scopes break but I have NEVER heard of one coming back from repair still broken.

I, and quite a few others, spent a lot of time following this thread, made multiple posts and tried very hard to offer quality advice to the OP. At page 30 I have to say I really feel like a whole bunch of us wasted a tremendous amount of time. Bergara and NF both ended up with a ton of bad ink. The OP did a LOT of complaining, finger pointing and venting and I really do get how frustrating things like this can be, but he also would not approach this in any kind of a systematic way. I don't know at this stage whether it was the rings, his hand loads (which were pretty badly made with huge SD and ES) or the OP just can't shoot but for him to say he threw away 3 grand worth of gear after milking the sympathy vote and complaining all along about what a financial hardship he is experiencing is just ridiculous. To be honest, it really does tick me off. I have no sympathy at all for where the OP ended up; at this stage it is ALL his own fault.
I and many others spent a lot of time trying to help. The OP was definitely a problem, and in his case Begara went way above and beyond. He got treated great, was offered a full refund at one point, and even the CEO got personally involved to help him and the OP still behaved like a little a spoiled 4 year old. He took zero responsibility for all the grief he caused Begara and Nightforce when his shooting and poor loading methods were the issues all along..

That said, Begara rifles have more than enough issues for it to have been entirely possible it was a gun issue. If you read some of my posts you will get what I am talking about.

Last edited:
OP hasn't been on in 2yrs. I would like an update on what NF said about the scope.

@101stCurrahee
Op said NF tested the scope and they said it was fine.

My eyballs hurt but it was like a train wreck, couldn't look away, read every page. Really wanted to find out what the problem was.

I suspected that he just couldnt shoot at several points because of the numerous called fliers on his targets. Then how the groups would open up the more he shot.The other thing is several people offered to buy his setup or help in other ways and nothing was taken up, so that was another thing that made me suspect he knew it was shooter related.

Alas, one of OP's last posts said they tried shooting it at 200 yards and him and several others couldnt get on paper even after everything had been checked by bergara and nf.. Sounds like too slow of twist to me. I never saw where he tried substantially ligher bullets like others had suggested.

It was nice to see bergara step up the way they did. I think it would have been wise for them to send a new gun just to show it wasnt the rifle and clear their name considering how they got slammed.

There's some genrous people on this forum.

My opinion based off the OP's posts is that he isn't a good shot. I'm sure there are plenty of people that see these little sub MOA bug holes by experienced shooters and they expect they can do the same if they spend $3000-$4000.

It's like someone buying a $4000 Gibson Les Paul and the best they can do is squeak out Deep Purple's "Smoke On the Water" with an out of tune g string.

My opinion based off the OP's posts is that he isn't a good shot. I'm sure there are plenty of people that see these little sub MOA bug holes by experienced shooters and they expect they can do the same if they spend $3000-$4000.

It's like someone buying a $4000 Gibson Les Paul and the best they can do is squeak out Deep Purple's "Smoke On the Water" with an out of tune g string.
I am in no way a musician. An "out of tune g string"… it seems there is a punch line there somewhere 😀

Agree that Bergara went above and beyond and at that point the OP should have taken one of the numerous options available.

With that being said, I have noticed that my Bergara is extremely picky when it comes to finding the right load / ammo. I have never struggled so much trying to get a rifle to shoot. I ended up talking to multiple people who were also struggling with their Bergara across multiple forums and the majority of people said to bed the stock and the groups should tighten up and WOW they did. I took my Premier Highlander to my gunsmith and he was showing me all the imperfections in the stock and how it was not sitting properly in the action right from the factory. My group went from around 1 moa to .3 - .4 moa.

All was great until I went out to Colorado on a guided elk hunt, which is why I spent all this money on this rifle, and the sling swivel literally came loose (Also a Bergara problem). I ended up having to use Gorilla glue to get it to hold so I could carry my rifle. I contact Beragra and plan to send the rifle back to them so they can take a look at the stock. I am not expecting much though because I bedded the stock so it will actually shoot.

But worst case if they do not do anything I will take my loss, sell the rifle, and just build a much better 300 WM lol

First off, a load with a 200 fps ES is not the best way to judge rifle accuracy. You need to figure out what is causing the big variation. That said, factory ammo doesn't shoot well either so I would measure the ES on the Factory stuff too. If they are also very wide that will tell you a few things. Second, I have worked on quite a few Bergara and they are prone to multiple defects. In order, bedding is bad, glass or pillar bed to fix, Chamber issues, needs to go back for new barrel. The chamber issues are sometimes so bad you can actually see them on the once fired cases and or they show up in measuring the various critical points. Also check to see it has enough throat, short throated chambers have been an issue too. Crown issues and sundry feeding issues round out the common defects. Unfortunately the track record of the warranty depot for fixing these issues properly is very poor and Bergara won't pay for a qualified smith to fix them locally. The good news is, except for the ones with poorly made chambers, once bedded and crowned most of them shot really good. The feeding issues are usually not that hard to repair.

My personal opinion after experience with them and the very poor customer support, there are much better rifles in the same price range. Let us know what you find.
This was my first post on this thread and the first post after the OP started the thread. It completely agrees with what FNLights just posted.

After reading over this again it appears we have a bad rifle, bad scope, bad factory ammo and someone that has a hard time shooting. Hmmm 🤔, so 3 years later we have no firm conclusion. So I guess after 3 years we can end this 32 pages of assumptions.

After reading over this again it appears we have a bad rifle, bad scope, bad factory ammo and someone that has a hard time shooting. Hmmm 🤔, so 3 years later we have no firm conclusion. So I guess after 3 years we can end this 32 pages of assumptions.
Not true, in this case the OP was 100% the problem. Bergara and NF both tested their products and found them to be fine. I know for sure NF wouldn't lie about that and I doubt Bergara would either. He was offered a full refund by Bergara and didn't take it. The OP couldn't shoot, plain and simple and he was not always even close to truthful.