Is it just in my head?

The short answer to the original question is "yes"

Many factors including containment, air density, positioning, and most importantly burn rate can have a dramatic effect on the audible and physical end result.

There are very specific uses for explosives of different composition and detonation rate, not unlike fast and slow burning powders for different results in small and large cartridges. You will often hear about charges used for "cutting" (very fast burn rate) these type charges are commonly used in ordinance disposal, shape charges, etc. and have a definitive "crack" when detonated. While others used for "shoving" (slower burn rate) commonly used in mining will have the trademark "boom".

This is a rabbit hole with no bottom but that's the very rudimentary basics.

I could not leave it alone:
Here is real data
WBY MKV 338 Lapua Recoil (Kick)
1639597627951.png

WIN M70 Laminated 375 H&H Recoil (push)

1639597640337.png

By the way...if someone can explain it with physics of why one feels like a kick and the other like a push, I would appreciate it

Last edited:
I'll throw in my 2cents worth. When reloading 10gauge 3 1/2" shotgun shells for my side by side I found for my buckshot loads Alliant Blue Dot produced a recoil that was more like an authoritative shove where Hodgdon Longshot produced a pronounced kick. Looking up my loads the Longshot had higher pressures than did the Blue Dot. I'd say there is a correlation between burn rate and recoil.

is it just in your head? yup...
seriously, total ejecta (bullet plus powder), exit gas pressure/ velocity, peak pressure, powder burn rate/ curve... all these and more have an effect on the recoil you perceive.

I first noticed this phenomenon with the 300 blackout. Same bullet at the same speeds, noticable differences in recoil impulse. The caliber has minimal recoil so I imagine the difference was easier to feel. 4227 is moderate, unique is a slow push, lil'gun and CFE BLK snaps noticeably sharper than either.

The diffinative answer is yes! And as other have said...burn rate! However...at 65...shooting starting at 5..BB gun...progressed to .460WBY by 24...and never recoil sensitive. What I haven't figured out..till today...is why everyone says...heavier bullet...heavier recoil. As the weight of projectile increases the volume of powder decreases accordingly....known fact....not talking about compressed loads...where's this extra recoil coming from folks all talk about? I'm my case the old saying may apply..." NO SENSE NO FEELING"...What's the rest of you use for an excuse? Maybe it's just me shooting early with 500 gr. Projectiles. Thoughts? Sorry...not hijacking...extrapolating

Do some powders produce snappier recoil and crack", and others produce more a big push with a boom? Out of the same gun with the same weight bullet?
Absolutely. I can tell a difference between powders with the same bullet at the same speeds out of the same rifle.
Faster burn rates are sharper, and the slow.powders are more of a push. Like comparing RL23 to N570, I can feel the difference.

Do some powders produce snappier recoil and crack", and others produce more a big push with a boom? Out of the same gun with the same weight bullet?
Interesting thought. I think you might be right but I just don't know, haven't been paying attention/looking for that effect to see it.

I will say that in my 270 the compressed loads of 7828 or rl25 give a very satisfying chest thumping Ka-BOOM! and fireball, and the recoil does seem more "big shove" than fast punch. This compared to loads with 4350-4831-Rl22 burn rate powders at very similar velocity.

The diffinative answer is yes! And as other have said...burn rate! However...at 65...shooting starting at 5..BB gun...progressed to .460WBY by 24...and never recoil sensitive. What I haven't figured out..till today...is why everyone says...heavier bullet...heavier recoil. As the weight of projectile increases the volume of powder decreases accordingly....known fact....not talking about compressed loads...where's this extra recoil coming from folks all talk about? I'm my case the old saying may apply..." NO SENSE NO FEELING"...What's the rest of you use for an excuse? Maybe it's just me shooting early with 500 gr. Projectiles. Thoughts? Sorry...not hijacking...extrapolating

I wonder about this too!!!! But it's a real thing! A 12 guage shooting 3 inch 1 oz slugs at 1760 fps is generating 3000 foot pounds of energy. On par with a .30-06. I've shot .30-06, 300 win, and such from prone lots. I've shot a 12 guage with slugs from prone once. It sucks. It really sucks.

Interesting thought. I think you might be right but I just don't know, haven't been paying attention/looking for that effect to see it.

I will say that in my 270 the compressed loads of 7828 or rl25 give a very satisfying chest thumping Ka-BOOM! and fireball, and the recoil does seem more "big shove" than fast punch. This compared to loads with 4350-4831-Rl22 burn rate powders at very similar velocity.
It's real!