Is It Bad To Store Powder/Reloading Components In My Garage?

Many years ago I had powder and primers stored in the garage because I couldn't reload. I'd estimate the temperature could swing from -25 to 115. When I finally got back into reloading most of the powder was bad but the primers work fine.

The change/cycle in temperature degrades the powder even though it is sealed. The more you can minimize temperature swings the better.

Any insulated container will help. some use old up rite refrigerators or freezers for there insulating abilities. It also helps if you use a de humidifier to control humidity also.

Most garages are not insulated very well and a good insulated storage is recommended. powders degrade at different rates depending on the type of powder and the container it comes in, So you need to check it periodically by smelling it. (It will have an acid spell if it is braking down.

J E CUSTOM

I bought 10-12lbs of powder at an estate sale. It was stored in his reloading shop in his garage. The containers were metal and very old. I think some of it said DuPont on it instead of IMR? Maybe, I could be wrong about that. Did DuPont ever make powder?

Anyways, it's all worked well so far. And I live in west Michigan were temp swings are ridiculous and humidity is high because of the Great Lakes.

Just wondering if I'm wrong to be storing my reloading components at my reloading bench which is located in my garage. Its not near anything else that's flammable. Not in direct sunlight and always stays above freezing. I live in a low humidity part of the country also(another reason I love Idaho). Am I doing any harm to the open power or bullets? What about sealed ones? Maybe these are dumb questions, but I have a lot of money tied up in bullets and powder(unless you're my wife reading this) and don't want them to get ruined. Thanks in advance
Yes, don't store them in your garage. Store them somewhere in your house where there is very little atmospheric moisture. Your dies and press can also rust in your garage.

If a Deep freeze style do the need to run and get cold or do you need the just for the sealed aspect of it?
No need to run at all. The idea is that the outside temp may swing dramatically, but the inside temp stays the same year round.
In the beginning I taped a thermometer to the underside of the lid, year round the temp hardly changed, it rose a little if I was in and out during the same day, but settled back to it's average pretty quickly.

Cheers.

No need to run at all. The idea is that the outside temp may swing dramatically, but the inside temp stays the same year round.
In the beginning I taped a thermometer to the underside of the lid, year round the temp hardly changed, it rose a little if I was in and out during the same day, but settled back to it's average pretty quickly.
Just curious What sort of temp did the freezer maintain? My beer fridge was acting up this winter & even though the temps were very cold outside, the beer got considerably warmer & that's how I noticed the problem with my fridge?

I keep my powder in original pkg and inside a big Ice chest. The big ice chest is stored in the walk in cooler I built in my shop. Even with 100 degree days, I go in and the temp is always below 70 degrees.

Just wondering if I'm wrong to be storing my reloading components at my reloading bench which is located in my garage. Its not near anything else that's flammable. Not in direct sunlight and always stays above freezing. I live in a low humidity part of the country also(another reason I love Idaho). Am I doing any harm to the open power or bullets? What about sealed ones? Maybe these are dumb questions, but I have a lot of money tied up in bullets and powder(unless you're my wife reading this) and don't want them to get ruined. Thanks in advance
Petrol in your tank is far more explosive. As long as it is stored in dry and cool area it wont be an issue.

Just curious What sort of temp did the freezer maintain? My beer fridge was acting up this winter & even though the temps were very cold outside, the beer got considerably warmer & that's how I noticed the problem with my fridge?
Let me first address the fact that I'm using a cooler, not a freezer.
My cooler, ice chest or whatever you want to call it is made from fibreglass and is 150ltrs. I do not know the US conversion, I think you divide by 4 to get US Gallons.
It really doesn't matter how cool or warm the interior is, as long as it is constant to a degree. Mine stays around 12C, unless I am in and out of it several times in one day, but it never gets severely hot.

Cheers.

I keep mine in sealed containers like ammo boxes and use Silica Gel packs with them to keep them dry. I do the same with primers

I've used 20 year old powder with no issues. However, I do not store them in the garage, temperatures vary too much and can go all the way up to 140 degrees in the summer inside the garage.

Heat, not changes in temperature or humidity, is the enemy of smokeless powder. Nitrocellulose is kinda unstable, and is manufactured with concentrated nitric acid, some of which will inevitably remain in the finished product and degrade it faster. Modern powder is manufactured with stabilizers that prevent runaway degradation (I.E. kaboom!), but these degrade/are consumed over time. At 60°F a well made powder lot will probably last several lifetimes, while if it's stored over 100°F it might only last a few short years.

Keep it cool, keep it out of the sun. If it gets wet, dry it before use (it's plastic, water won't harm it).