Reloading in the garage??

I load in my dungeon, aka basement. Hoped I would get my son's room a few years ago when he moved out. Like I said, hoped. Other than spiders, the basement stays cool in summer and mid 60's in winter. Nobody bothers me down there. I guess I have it made afterall.

I heat my garage with a kerosene heater. They can but out some heat. When it is 30 out side I can heat it to 65. I do a lot of woodworking out there in the winter.

But saw that your temp was -5 and were heating the garage to 40. So, you may already be using a kerosene heater. If so, maybe two of them would put get the garage up to acceptable reloading temps.

You mention bringing the reloading supplies in from the garage and storing in the house. That could cause issues with condensation. When you bring a cold item into a warm environment, moisture in the warm environment condenses on the colder item (condensation). This is obviously not good for reloading components.

BTW - I reload in the house and clean rifles in the garage. Maybe that deal will work for you along with roses and chocolates or something. All women have some weaknesses, capitalize on it!

You did not mention if the garage is insulated and sheetrocked, especially the lid. If not you should do so as that warms things up considerably. The sheetrock only needs fire taping so it is DIY easy. R 11 in the lid (31/2" batts) is enough. If the garage doors are too drafty you can hang a temporary curtain across them easily and seal out the cold.

Making the garage more work friendly is pretty easy. Kit Plane builders and Hotrodders do it all the time.

KB

You mention bringing the reloading supplies in from the garage and storing in the house. That could cause issues with condensation. When you bring a cold item into a warm environment, moisture in the warm environment condenses on the colder item (condensation). This is obviously not good for reloading components.

BTW - I reload in the house and clean rifles in the garage. Maybe that deal will work for you along with roses and chocolates or something. All women have some weaknesses, capitalize on it!

I have a couple electric heaters in the garage and looking to improve on that, I can make it comfortable enough for me to "work" there and I do lots of other "tinkering" in the winter.
Condensation or temp changes is my concern, so it would be best to "store" the stuff in the garage if thats where I will be reloading?

And now on AlWAYS clean in the garage!

You did not mention if the garage is insulated and sheetrocked, especially the lid. If not you should do so as that warms things up considerably. The sheetrock only needs fire taping so it is DIY easy. R 11 in the lid (31/2" batts) is enough. If the garage doors are too drafty you can hang a temporary curtain across them easily and seal out the cold.

Making the garage more work friendly is pretty easy. Kit Plane builders and Hotrodders do it all the time.

KB

The Garage is insultated and finished, just no heat so once again that is my main goal, I just keep finding other projects to take me money first!

I remember when I loaded in a cold room,a lot of my dies and tools formed surface rust from the change in temps and humidity,all that changed when I moved into the kitchen.Anytime we had company someone would ask what are these 2 holes for in the table the wife would just shoot me that look-you know the one!I would just say I bought the table and all we do is eat off it.That was my 1st wife.I don't have that table anymore,to bad cause I'm thinking now if I cut it up it would make a good shooting-reloading bench in the field.back to the subject,when I built my shop I made sure that I allowed room for a 15 x15 foot room for all reloading and bullet swaging and after 8 yrs I found out that it is to small,so work with what you have and enjoy it or move into the house and make the best out of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.