Is it just in my head?

I wonder about this too!!!! But it's a real thing! A 12 guage shooting 3 inch 1 oz slugs at 1760 fps is generating 3000 foot pounds of energy. On par with a .30-06. I've shot .30-06, 300 win, and such from prone lots. I've shot a 12 guage with slugs from prone once. It sucks. It really sucks.
Now Calvin...the question is about comparative calibers, powders, etc...you know Apples 🍎 with 🍎....not nearly 3/4" (.710) bore compared with .306.....geeeeeeez...go test -45 degree with Lab Radar!🤣 This is like comparing driving a golf ball with your Putter vs a Big Bertha!

I wonder about this too!!!! But it's a real thing! A 12 guage shooting 3 inch 1 oz slugs at 1760 fps is generating 3000 foot pounds of energy. On par with a .30-06. I've shot .30-06, 300 win, and such from prone lots. I've shot a 12 guage with slugs from prone once. It sucks. It really sucks.

Now Calvin...the question is about comparative calibers, powders, etc...you know Apples 🍎 with 🍎....not nearly 3/4" (.710) bore compared with .306.....geeeeeeez...go test -45 degree with Lab Radar!🤣 This is like comparing driving a golf ball with your Putter vs a Big Bertha!
Hahahaha. But seriously why should bore diameter affect recoil. I pointed out where they're both apples!🤣. Identical projectile muzzle energy should generate identical recoil you'd think, in a Newtonian sense? And the 12 guage is using way less powder to boot! I do see the humour in this and will concede it's a tad extreme but my question is serious and does remain, it's the same as yours really: why do heavier bullets with lighter charge weights kick harder than lighter bullets with heavier charge weights if they're generating the same total energy at the muzzle!?!?

Hahahaha. But seriously why should bore diameter affect recoil. I pointed out where they're both apples!🤣. Identical projectile muzzle energy should generate identical recoil you'd think, in a Newtonian sense? And the 12 guage is using way less powder to boot! I do see the humour in this and will concede it's a tad extreme but my question is serious and does remain, it's the same as yours really: why do heavier bullets with lighter charge weights kick harder than lighter bullets with heavier charge weights if they're generating the same total energy at the muzzle!?!?
Your question was as valid as anyone's....The Devil maaaade me do it! So I would guess larger diameter barrel more rapid expansion of Gas, Gas = Recoil . This to try to explain your shotgun analogy. My best guess here Brother....now...back to the 🍎 vs Apple 🍎 question 😊

Last edited:
Nah..,didn't you read his post's conclusion. Gas=recoil. Now you know. He's actually talking about TacoBell!
Nah...I drew this conclusion by reflecting on my Homemade smoked Baked Beans and the effects they have on different sized ( weights) of folks that have consumed the same amount and the expulsion of gas through smaller and larger Sphincters! Findings were similar to the 12 ga vs 30-06 bore diameters...kinda like BLOWING A SMALL WHISTLE- COMPARED TO BLOWING A TUBA!