What is causing my flyer.

I've never shot the 212, but every other bullet in the eld-x line that I've tried has had a sweet spot between .060 and .080 off, they seem to like a little jump from what I've seen. How far off are you to fit the mag?

I have only chronographed 2 test loads and es was around 25fps. The2 shots are touching or .01 between them. The temp when I have been shooting has been around -10 to -5 degrees celcius. The barrel has no heat to it when I am done a group. Canhunter my rifle is a Sako AV but has never been to powder fussy before. I think I will seat 2 loads out farther at .005 intervals and 2 deeper the same way. It has been my understanding that the ELDX bullets are not fussy on seating depth but like to start at least .015 off as a strting point

My barrel is not even warm when I finish a group as our weather has been quite cool lately. I think I will do 2 loads seating farther out in .005 increment. then 2 seated deeper in the same increments.

The flyer is is more left than high. My seating depth was just magazine length as I cannot seat bullets far enough out to reach the rifling.
Sounds to me as if you haven't tried different seating depths. I would certainly start there. I would start as far out /close to the lands as possible.Always leave about a calibers length inserted in the brass. That's as close as you can get. Read this first post on how to go about it if you haven't already.
https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...-from-berger-vld-bullets-in-your-rifle.40204/

I have only chronographed 2 test loads and es was around 25fps. The2 shots are touching or .01 between them. The temp when I have been shooting has been around -10 to -5 degrees celcius. The barrel has no heat to it when I am done a group. Canhunter my rifle is a Sako AV but has never been to powder fussy before. I think I will seat 2 loads out farther at .005 intervals and 2 deeper the same way. It has been my understanding that the ELDX bullets are not fussy on seating depth but like to start at least .015 off as a strting point
I thought I remembered we had the same rifle, especially since we both have the ggw brake. There's almost no room to work with seating depth in that action with the 300.
I checked my cards I recorded 2 close one far away on all my loads during load development, even the 7828. But the Last time I took it out I used 7828 and according to my notes had good accuracy at 600
I set the 212 at 3.6"
Imr 7828 78.5gr
H1000 82gr
Imr 7977 80.7gr
These r the loads with the 212.
With the 200eldx I used 86gr of h1000 but it's not running as fast as I would've liked.
Apparently I misremembered a little My notes during load development say my rifle did exactly what you're describing. One thing I found with the Monte Carlo stock is its really easy to let the stock drop during recoil into the bag. I preload the bipods a lot, apply the pressure it takes to hold a full beer with my 3 fingers on the palm grip, and try to have the bag stuffed under the heel tightly.
After reviewing my notes, I'm betting ur load is there(2825-2850fps mv?)
It's just hard to shoot a magnum with bench rest accuracy, but after tweaking how I set myself behind the rifle changed the grouping.
I actually shot a cow elk at 425yds last year right in the head with my 7828 load.
I've went through the same thing, good luck

Just did a COL measurement on my gun and I can seat to 3.648 with these 212's. The length of my mag is 3.640 so I have room to seat out further than I thought. My test loads were at 3.620. Should I go farther out or seat deeper.
I would start over and do a seating test like Berger recommends. I had a picky Vanguard 300 wby. I found accuracy seated deeper than you would expect.

I know your going to be all over the seating depth part of this load now. Seat them mag length or minus .010 whichever is longest and then just start seating deeper. I like to go .005 first till I see it tighten up and keep doing increments till it opens back up. Sometimes your seating depth is good over . 015 zone. You can seat to the middle and have a broader tune.
Shep

Here are the easy things: THEY don't cost you anything to check, except time

1) Is it new(er) brass or old brass
-> neck tension becomes suspect
-> do you crimp the case neck
-> does the bolt close easily on all your rounds
2) Are you loading the magazine or are you firing single shot mode
-> next shooting session try shooting single shot mode, do not load the magazine
-> bullets can jump forward due to recoil in the more powerful cartridges
-> changes in case volume due to this will cause variations in velocity changing POI
-> next shooting session bring a dial micrometer with you.
-> shoot your magazine except for the last shot
-> pull that round and measure it compared to rounds still in your cartridge case.
3) COHUNT touched on something, MIRAGE
-> according to John Krieger of Krieger barrels (this guy knows barrels)
-> the larger capacity cases can heat up barrels after 3 shots.
-> In your cold temperature conditions, mirage from the barrel heat can occur at lower barrel temperatures along the entire sight line
-> a scope magnifies the mirage effect and you end up chasing a moving target without knowing it.
-> Allow more time between shots, even if it is relatively cold out.
4) How new/old is the barrel? How many rounds through it?
-> Some barrels take 80 to 100 rounds to break in.

Harder things will come in later posts I'm sure, like firing pin problems, spring etc. They take a trip to a gunsmith to check out.

Inspect the throat of your rifle for any irregularities. I would use a candle and smoke up a used case and see if there were any bright spots where the was unusual contact any where in the breach. Also illuminate your rifling to inspect it all the way to the crown just to be sure.

Inspect the throat of your rifle for any irregularities. I would use a candle and smoke up a used case and see if there were any bright spots where the was unusual contact any where in the breach. Also illuminate your rifling to inspect it all the way to the crown just to be sure.
-----------
I'm not familiar with the candle smoke process you referred to. Can you discuss that in more detail? How do you do it, and what does it tell you? Thx

Canhunter my load with Retumbo using 85.0 grains was 2965fps. My rifle does not have the factory stockany more it is now wearing a Bell&Carlson with no cheeck piece. It will be a day or so but I will try some different seating depths and see how the groups go. I will also take longer between shots and see if that helps.

Canhunter my load with Retumbo using 85.0 grains was 2965fps. My rifle does not have the factory stockany more it is now wearing a Bell&Carlson with no cheeck piece. It will be a day or so but I will try some different seating depths and see how the groups go. I will also take longer between shots and see if that helps.
Have u annealed ur brass? Inconsistent neck tension may be another issue to rule out

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.