What is causing this dent below the shoulder on my Ackley Improved cases?

That is very cool, I used to clean parts at a previous job in a salt bath. I could probably do that. Of course I used to braze also through an induction process as well so there's that.

I use the salt bath method myself and find I get great results only I'm a little nervous of the liquid temp.

Yes, that is an issue, especially if you have children around. We used electrical charges in the salt bath to clean cast parts before brazing them to rolled steel. Pretty cool process.

I've had this happen to me. Liking the remedies.

I do use Imperial die wax but after seeing what @ButterBean does with STP I asked if Morey's will work. No-one has tried it so I did because I had Morey's oil stabiliser. Works well

Maybe, these products will be helpful.

Check out the Ugly Annealer for a budget priced Annealer. Just got mine and it's got a lot going for it in the price point

Get on over to Butterbean barstool channel on YouTube , learn some stuff and encourage him to post more.

I've had this happen to me. Liking the remedies.

I do use Imperial die wax but after seeing what @ButterBean does with STP I asked if Morey's will work. No-one has tried it so I did because I had Morey's oil stabiliser. Works well

Maybe, these products will be helpful.

Check out the Ugly Annealer for a budget priced Annealer. Just got mine and it's got a lot going for it in the price point

Get on over to Butterbean barstool channel on YouTube , learn some stuff and encourage him to post more.
I absolutely will! Thank you for the recommendation!

Amp is the real deal of course but the annealeze works just fine for most shooters. Plus if you decide to go next level and step up to amp selling it will be easy

I had the same problem with sizing .223 brass in bulk numbers for Service Rifle Competition. Made me go crazy trying to make it stop. Finally I super cleaned my dies and polished the inside by putting Q-Tips in a hand drill. Then I switched lube type. Started using Lanolin/denatured alcohol mix of about 8 to 1. Put it in a small plastic spray bottle and spread cases flat on a cardboard sheet. Roll the cases around and give them a second shot of spray then let the lube mix dry on the cases for 4 or 5 minutes before actually sizing. I have never had a dented case since.

Okay, so I don't know exactly what I did that fixed it but so far so good. I cleaned my die with brake cleaner and wiped it out the best I could. Scoped the die and don't see anything obvious. I've not lubed anything above the shoulder. I'm going slowly to allow the brass time to relax and form. It's hard as crap to bring the case back out of the die but it goes in easy. Thought I was going to stick a couple but haven't yet. I scoped the chamber of the rifle also and didn't see anything that looked out of place there. I have a bigger problem now though, the extractor broke. The rifle was built on a Bergara action and has the Savage style extractor. My gunsmith has an extra extractor and is going to swap it out in the morning for me so I can hunt with it this week. I appreciate everyone's help.

RCBS 2 lube, applied from the pad, fixes many of these problems.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221120-084629_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221120-084629_Chrome.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 24