Is a proof research barrel worth it?

->Proof Research makes theBEST CF wrapped barrels because they are spiral wrapped with the machine wrapping CF strands alternately around the barrel like Maypole dancers weaving in and out around each other with their colored ribbons. This is also how SWIX makes CF cross country ski poles. This is the most uniform and strongest method of wrapping.

->P.R. barrels (and other CF barrels) run cooler than all steel barrels making the throat of the chamber last longer. Research has shown that it is heat cycling that causes barrels to gradually expand internally and this is the main culprit of loss of accuracy. Land height (wear) was not enough to account for the expansion and it was groove diameter that increased!

->P.R. uses Bartlein barrels as well.

These reasons are why my next barrel on my Ruger Precision competition rifle will be a Proof Research barrel.

Eric B.
BTW, What you do not want is a CF barrel made by wrapping it with woven CF cloth. This is a very non-uniform wrap.

Agree with bigngreen..quality and not price is the direction I prefer as well.. I have 3 Proof barreled rifles and a new Proof Glacier TI on its was in 300PRC.. also have Christenson.. and Fierce.. there is a difference, at least in the ones I have.. The Proofs for me shoot better than the other two..one is in 6.5PRC , the Fierce is in 26 Nosler.. not impressed with Fierce frankly..ARE Proofs worth the money?? YES..

Ok, longer answer...

Are Proof carbon barrels good quality? Yes, most of the time.

Are they lighter comparabl barrels? No, they are the heaviest carbon barrel on the market I'm pretty sure.

Are they cheaper then comparable barrels? No, they are 30-50% more than other carbon barrels.

Are they worth the extra cost? Imo, no. Especially when you can get other carbon barrels that are just as good AND lighter for LESS money.

So why are Proof's so expensive? The name. Just like buying a CAT, an extra cost for the name.

I think before Proof bought out ABS that Mike was making top notch fully custom barrels, now they are a production barrel with the same price. Just in my opinion.
Lighter carbon barrel...does that mean less dense carbon which means not as strong? Just my two cents.

I'll let you know in a couple months when my Proof 338 Edge is completed. Regarding cost, it's all relative. Some complain they're too expensive. For others, who cares. As I've aged, I recognize diminishing marginal returns. However, I also realize I'm not getting any younger. If you can afford it, go with the best...

The only problem I have with carbon barrels is after a 5 shot group the mirage is so bad your waiting awhile for the next 5. Not good for prs but fine for hunting. Jmo
With a 28 Nosler it is 2 shots. Cold bore and a follow up. real pain in load development, requiring a lot of time and barrel coolers. Should not ever be a problem hunting. Mine is pretty picky on what bullets it likes. That being said, once I found one it likes it shoots lights out. Personally, I will not do another one in a big overbore cartridge. I would do one in a more balanced cartridge. If you do one with a carbon stock it does balance well and looks really cool. Doesn't really save any weight to speak of. No one can deny the "Cool factor" of a carbon barrel and carbon stock. worth the money? IMO NO

I now have 5 Proof barreled rifles. Every one is ridiculously accurate. But then again, so are my Barteins and Rock Creek.
But, from sub-9# to 10.5#, they are very nice to carry.

You do see, very rarely, a bad Proof. I have a buddy who got one. Messed with it for months before he finally spun it off and sent it in to Proof. Had a swell somewhere in the bore.

Lighter carbon barrel...does that mean less dense carbon which means not as strong? Just my two cents.

It means the steel barrel under the carbon is a different contour.

If I'm doing carbon, its for weight, other wise a fluted #4 or #5 will be just as stiff and as accurate as a comparable weight carbon barrel.

If and when I wear out the thin, fluted stainless barrel in my Browning X-Bolt Pro I'd like to replace it with a Proof Research barrel (lightest available) to further reduce the rifle's original 6 lb. 3 oz. weight.

I wonder what that lightest Proof barrel would weighing 6.5 PRC at 24".

Eric B.
BTW, I wonder if a Cerakote job on a Proof barrel would add more than one or two ounces.

If and when I wear out the thin, fluted stainless barrel in my Browning X-Bolt Pro I'd like to replace it with a Proof Research barrel (lightest available) to further reduce the rifle's original 6 lb. 3 oz. weight.

I wonder what that lightest Proof barrel would weighing 6.5 PRC at 24".

Eric B.
BTW, I wonder if a Cerakote job on a Proof barrel would add more than one or two ounces.
A Carbon Sendero lite will be heavier.