Proof barrel worth it?

I have three proofs now and all are sub 1/2 MOA barrels. I have two 338s (one is a LM and the other is an Edge) and I have a .308 bore on my 300 WM. The 300 WM is exceptional and easily the best barrel I own. The only downside from the customer's perspective is price. From the gunsmith perspective, bigngreen nailed it, you have no margin for error.

I have one on a 300 rum that has been excellent. It's got close to 500 rounds down the pipe and shoots as good as it ever has. Trued Rem 700, 230 Berger hybrid at 3005 fps with an es of 11. 1/2 minute or better and many kills between 500 and 800 yds. I really don't have any comparison though. It's my first build. Gathering parts now for another that will have a rock creek steel barrel just due to cost. If it's what you want and you have the funds I don't think you'll be a bit disappointed.

I have a Proof barrel on a .264 win mag with a trued rem 700 action that shoots lights out. Will it out shoot a comparable steel barrel? I don't think its "more" accurate but I do know after several shots and barrel heats up the point of impact does not shift like a steel barrel does. I will say my Proof barrel is my favorite rifle to date.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.