Proof barrel worth it?

I have never heard of one used by a benchrest competitor. If they are that great, price would not be a deterrent to them.

I think there has been some huge advancements in technology in the last few years. From what I understand the process of wrapping has entirely changed. Also from what I understand the old barrels were turned down for the carbon and are now purposely built for the process. Getting rid of some of the old consistency problems that once existed.

I don't think they shoot better than a non wrapped custom barrel. But as stated before they balance differently in the rifle. The ones that I have used do not seem to heat up nearly as fast as a non wrapped barrel. I also think there is something to the stiffness for weight. They are definitely for a purpose built rifle.

As I stated before, I truly scoffed at the carbon barrel due to the price. Why would anybody spend that kind of money. Till I used some.

Steve

I have a build that is almost finished it will have a proof barrel and I will post the results. I have a friend that has been working up loads for proof rifles that customers have bought and his avg group size for each rifle is so small I won't even say, because most wouldn't believe it. I have shot several of these rifles up close and at range and they were all very accurate. I have also shot some trued 700's with proof barrels that shot just as good.

I wasn't there for this but he told me they lined up some proof rifles shot 10 shot strings at X distance then shot some custom rifles with steel barrels, most were sendaro contours I believe, and they shot 10 shots to check poi drift as the barrels heated up, and from what he told me the difference was huge with the proof barrels coming out on top.

After seeing and shooting many proof rifles and rifles that had proof barrels I would not hesitate to build with one. Proof has a half moa accuracy garentee so nothing to lose anyway. All thier barrels are made in house now and they are not made from bartlien blanks or the other company's blanks that proof bought out like many still think. I am not affiliated with proof just going off what I've experience personally with the rifles I've shot and the rifles I've seen shot up close and at range.

I would want to get one melonite treated, but I see no process in place allowing this.
So it's out for me. I'll just go fluting.

I've got three rifles built on proofs now. Every one of the broke in easy and shoot lights out. I'd be more than happy to post groups as well as critters that died from a long ways away with them. They are a solid company with great customer service. If I were you and you want a proof, find another smith that uses them.

"do not seem to heat up nearly as fast as a non wrapped barrel"

Yes, this is what I noticed, my only experience was with a Proof. Does the carbon absorb the heat and draw it away from the metal, allowing it to dissipate ?
For the same weight barrel does a carbon barrel cool faster ?
Seems like the outside didn't really get hot like a metal barrel.

Yes, this is what I noticed, my only experience was with a Proof. Does the carbon absorb the heat and draw it away from the metal, allowing it to dissipate ?

I'm not sure how it works other than that they say it dissipates heat faster. I wonder if it insulates or gets rid of heat. I shot one again today at 200y and it was stellar. I am going with heat dissipation.

Proof does sell non wrapped barrels too. So you can have a Proof for normal price if you want.

Steve

Carbon fiber seems to draw heat away and quickly disappate it rather than conducting and holding heat like metals. I don't understand the physics of it but that is why it is being used for a whole lot of applications. I know it's a miracle for protective head gear like tactical/military and motorcycle helmets on hot, sunny days.

I had my Gunwerks LR-1000 done with the Proof CF wrapped barrel. I love it, but I do believe it's Gunwerks G5 barrel turned down and just wrapped by proof, either way it's a shooter. And as mentioned before it disapates heat super fast.

They are as good as any top barrel, I have 2 6.5 creedmoor last time I shot it at 960 y 3 shots 2 1/2 inch group, 7 rem mag last shot at a mile 8 inch group. I have a buddy 7 rum 1000 yards lady group 2 5/8 inch 3 shor, we built them for hunting light weight guns..

You pay for the carbon, and weight reduction.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts