Proof barrel worth it?

schrock27

I have been recently informed by a smith that proof barrels are "pieces of ****" and he will not build with one. Anyone else share this thought? I have seen a lot of people using them with great success. And this is the barrel I want to use with my next build.

Thanks for your in put
Anthony

Did he say what he did not like about them? The ones that we have used have been really good. So far I am very impressed with them. I had been of the opinion that the cost of a carbon wrapped barrel was just way too much. After being a part of 3 different rifles with them I am thinking my next personal build may have one.

Steve

That was one reason was the the price and you did save that much weight vs like a #5 fluted barrel. He also said that he had three come in and they were extremely crooked.

I have been recently informed by a smith that proof barrels are "pieces of ****" and he will not build with one. Anyone else share this thought? I have seen a lot of people using them with great success. And this is the barrel I want to use with my next build.

Thanks for your in put
Anthony
I don't think I'd necessarily share his opinion of their worth but it's not a barrel I'd ever use on a custom build.

I've been very much against them BUT I've used 4 to date and they we're good barrels, they slugged well and they were very straight, every one has shot just as any other barrel and I can honestly find nothing not to like about them!!
They are different, ya you can get the weight the same with a lighter contour steel but it will not balance as well and if your shooting suppressed you have meat on the muzzle to mount to.
If you want to use one use a different smith, DO NOT make a smith use parts he hates, every gunsmith has his things, I absolutely hate throating reamer and ya I screwed one up and that was all it took. There is no room for error with a Proof, you nail it or buy it and that I think is what scares a lot of guys, I know it does me:D

I don't think I'd necessarily share his opinion of their worth but it's not a barrel I'd ever use on a custom build.

What would be your reason for this? I am in the process of getting parts together for my build and I don't won't to get something I am not happy with.

I know a lot of people that have built guns with proof barrels and every one of them is happy. We even have quite a few guys using Ruger precision and Savage prefits with excellent results.

I'd bet quite a bit that I know the exact smith that you spoke with, because hes the only one out there who publicly slams proof barrels and turns away customers who want to use them.

He does great work, but its his way or no way, and that's ok, but there's no reason to tell people things like proof barrels are **** and its a waste of time to build a rifle off of a stock Remington action.

.....If you want to use one use a different smith, DO NOT make a smith use parts he hates, every gunsmith has his things,........

I have found this to be the best advice. Decide what you want as a finished product, and find someone that does that kind of work. No hard feelings.

My take on the carbon wrapped is evolving. As I see some reliable people using them successfully, a company or 2 finally adding accuracy guarantees to their products, and I'm more intrigued.

I was all set to put one on a build until I had a conversation with a gunsmith about trying two of them on his own personal rifle. He went through two and both had the same problem with coppering up real bad so I kind of cooled on the idea of using a barrel that cost twice as much and potentially wouldn't turn out well. Ended up with a tried and true #4 Hart instead.

But, I have to admit, I haven't completely soured on the idea of using a carbon wrapped barrel on a build and have been seriously kicking around the idea of going with a Hardy Carbon Wrapped barrel as I've heard good things about them.

For me, they definitely have a pleasing look to them and when used with a muzzle brake of the same diameter as the barrel, they just "look" better but in all honesty, short of having a certain "cool" factor or being more pleasing to the eye, I don't know that they offer much over a steel barrel, but, having said all that, I still want a build with one. Just not sure which one I want to take a chance with because the thought of spending double for a barrel and having it not turn out well, is a concern.

I'm using a frozen fiber (carbon wrapped benchmark) on my 28 nosler build I've heard nothing but great things about these barrels, also heard lots of good reviews on the hardy and carbon six has a 1/2 moa guarantee with proper load development so don't shy away from carbon if that what you want to use
Just put a lot of research into it Google is your friend

I know guys are set in there ways and I would never ask someone to make something they don't want to. I have someone else in mind for my build. I just had heard good things about this guy and I wanted to pick his brain a lil on the build. But need less to say the conversation was cut pretty short haha.:rolleyes:

I still think I am going to go with a proof I think it make for a good balance and a nice clean look.

Thanks for the responses

It will definitely give you a clean look and awesome balance. My barrel shot everything great from the first shot, granted I didn't run hundreds of rounds through it. I did just the opposite though, I went with a proof, based on gunsmith recommendation for a lightweight build. Can't say a proof will out shoot a steel barrel, but mine has shot no worse than premium barrels on my other builds. That particular smith possibly couldn't have barreled enough proofs to draw a performance conclusion, but as stated, I understand the setup and transition to actions is more difficult.

I'm using a frozen fiber (carbon wrapped benchmark) on my 28 nosler build I've heard nothing but great things about these barrels, also heard lots of good reviews on the hardy and carbon six has a 1/2 moa guarantee with proper load development so don't shy away from carbon if that what you want to use
Just put a lot of research into it Google is your friend

Carbon six doesn't have a 1/2moa guarantee, they just say that their barrels are capable of 1/2 moa with proper load development. I think I am going to use one of their barrels on my next build. I have a McGowen barreled 26 nosler that shoots really well.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts