Is a proof research barrel worth it?

Personal experience....

My Proof Carbon bbl is worth it to me.

I have a 7mm bbl. & initial results so far are that it shoots accurately & cleans very easily.

Last edited:
Personal experience....

My Proof bbl is worth it to me.

I have a 7mm bbl. & initial results so far are that it shoots accurately & cleans very easily.

Here are some questions I considered prior to my purchase & I considered if answered by experience or opinion. I considered if the answer to each question was a benefit.

Is the cost appropriate

Why are some others cheaper.

Are they the lightest.

Why are some others lighter.

Are they cut rifled or button.

Do others have a better wrapping process.

Or just different.

Are they a proven product. &

Does the company back their product?

I'll answer for you...

Is the cost appropriate - No

Why are some others cheaper - Because you aren't buying the "name"

Are they the lightest - No

Why are some others lighter - Different materials and liner contours

Are they cut rifled or button - Either can be had

Do others have a better wrapping process - Yes

Or just different - Both

Are they a proven product - Yes

Does the company back their product? - Yes

IMG_4130.PNG
IMG_4141.PNG

Have two now and I absolutely love them. Are they the best, well prolly not. But they fill my needs and would not hesitate to drop that coin again. I cut corners on food brands cause u just **** it out but guns last lots longer lol

Last edited:
Thx. Adam, but I wasn't looking for answers, I already have them, & they differ from your opinions.

I thought those were questions since your post was so open ended and confusing.

Sorry if my answers and opinions vary from yours.

I find the Proofs worth the money, everyone I've built with shoots excellent ... run out in the lathe is as good as any high end steel barrel.

I've used mostly Bartlein barrels for my builds but did chamber two Proof carbon barrels for lightweight carry builds. Yes, you can get a similar weight steel barrel but hanging a 14 oz. suppressor off the end certainly changes things. The carbon barrel gives me the weight savings and mass.

The Proof carbons proved to be shooters so I chambered a few more of their steel barrels. For me, the Proof barrels have been smoother to machine than the Bartleins.

As Bigngreen says, the runout on the lathe of a Proof is zero in my experience. All the Bartleins I've tested between centers have .004 - .007" runout but they all were still shooters. If Proof pays that much attention to runout then what else are they paying attention to?

I would wager that every carbon barrel out there has near zero run-out...just due to the wrapping and re-contouring process...

Proof has been looking to get traction for their steel barrels also, a friend I think is playing with one, I may order some now that I think about it, may be the best made in Mt barrel right now, the carbon certainly are.

Another option to look at is Carbon Six. They are a little cheaper than a proof but they install and true your action for $150 if you buy the barrel from them. I shoot with a friend who has a proof and I can not tell the difference.