Is 325wsm too much gun for Northern Whitetails & Black Bear

I hope there is a "not too much gun for Nothern whitetails" because I am looking forward to using my soon to be new 338-378 on them.
lol exactly, they would only sell these calibers to those going to moose, bear and Africa if the too much gun theory played out. Now are there "enough" gun certainly. Life's to short, if it blows your skirt up, take her for a spin! If we are truly hunting for meat shoot them in the head.

I have a .325 wsm as well as a 300wsm. My biggest problem is getting 200 or 225 grain bullets for the .325. If I want to shoot a 180 grain my 300wsm does a wonderful job and has dispatched moose, elk, deer and antelope over the years. The reason I purchased the .325 was I got it real cheap from a recoil shy individual and secondly I love the terminal performance of the 225 grain bullets on larger game. Just my 2 cents.

I hope there is a "not too much gun for Nothern whitetails" because I am looking forward to using my soon to be new 338-378 on them.
My good friend runs that cartridge for everything. For deer he loads the 215 Sierra. Has taken piles of deer with that set up as he does some crop damage work for a couple of farmers.

He had trouble with a couple of different scopes on it. I recently mounted a 4.5-18 LRHS for him. Shoots tiny groups near and far with a number of loads.

Last edited:
No, for those two game animals. Only you could determine if that cartridge in a rifle of your selection creates too much recoil for you.

I know a guy that shot a snowshoe hare in AK with a 460 Weatherby. Killed the hare. Only animal he ever shot with it. I never asked about it being overkill, and he never mentioned it being too much gun.

Im a Hugh fan of the 257 Ackley and the 25-06, but a even bigger fan of the 338 Win, both my 257 Ack and 338 tip the scale 6lbs field ready, full magazines and with sling, these days I shoot 185 or 225 Barnes tsx, either bullet ruins less meat than the 25's,
Suppose the same could be said about less meat loss if you shot the Barnes tsx, from the 25 caliber offerings.

Case capacity references: (may not be exact) estimated

284 win: 57.5 gr. water
30-06: 60.0 " "
325wsm: 70.0 " "

I'd say its quite a hot 06'!!!
Recoils got to be brutal.

My 348 win shoots a 220@2100fps (known) and 200@2500fps(guestimate)
I'd say that gun is heavier and less horsepower than the 325 we are discussing.
That rifle stomps me pretty hard is why I'm hesitant for more gun in a lighter package
😲
Depends on how it's stocked and how it fits you

Gday memtb
I do like the way you think! 😉 memtb
Let's get a 3000fps fridge going or was it oven from Elmer 🤷‍♂️a huge amount of that information is still applicable & wish the guys like him & Roy weatherby had the pills we have today as my mind boggles on the advancements that would be made

I get any pill can kill & taken many a bovine with the 22lr also deer goats etc & all goes well to it dosent & that's where meplat size shows it's superiority ( pill design still critical )

cheers

Gday memtb

Let's get a 3000fps fridge going or was it oven from Elmer 🤷‍♂️a huge amount of that information is still applicable & wish the guys like him & Roy weatherby had the pills we have today as my mind boggles on the advancements that would be made

I get any pill can kill & taken many a bovine with the 22lr also deer goats etc & all goes well to it dosent & that's where meplat size shows it's superiority ( pill design still critical )

cheers

😁 ….I believe that Elmer's expression was a "camp stove"! But, any of the above would work pretty well! 😉

Cheers to you as well my friend! memtb

Recent Posts