Northern Idaho Whitetail

dstark

Looking for some advice from guys who know the area. I'm from southern Idaho, a good friend I grew up with lives in Moscow and is just getting into hunting and we're planning a trip up to the Moscow/Coeur d alene area for whitetail during the rut. Fish and Game recommended a WMA south of St. Maries.
I haven't ever hunted that area and I won't have any time to scout other than maps and such. Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm looking for info on hunting pressure, terrain/strategies for the area, and anything else I should know before heading out.

Last edited:
We are from Star, ID and have gone north 3x's to hunt whitetails, which is our favorite family hunt since all the sports are usually over by late Nov and everyone can go, plus the terrain is easier for my less motivated family members.

I have one bit of advice, wherever you end up. Try and be flexible enough to go when the weather dictates as my experience says the colder the better from about the 20th of Nov on. I am excited about this year as we usually go around Thanksgiving so I can take 4 days and only burn one vacation day, and it is the end of the month, when it was a week earlier last year.

We go a little farther south than you are looking at.

biggest thing is weather and be out all day because that time of year the deer are moving all day also please bring a wolf tag or 10 have a fun and safe trip

It's by far my favorite hunt as well!
We hunt in orphino just a few miles up from Nightforce after Nov 20 is defiantly the best time last year was plenty of snow and the bucks were moving like crazy all day in the 10 years I have hunted there seems to be that the deer quality (bucks) are getting better and better can't wait for this November

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.