Idaho Unit 6 Whitetail

SArnold30

I finally have the time to hunt out of state this year and picked up a general season tag. I have a place to stay in Wallace, this unit showed favorable accessibility and success rates, and I haven't chased a whitetail since I was a teenager so I'm excited to just go see new country!

My preparation has brought up some logistics questions, and I was hoping to get some opinions/expertise from those more familiar with this unit. All advice is greatly appreciated!

• I'm planning for the last two weeks of October: what kind of weather and conditions should I expect?

• Picking up some bear and wolf tags might also be a good investment?

• Most of my deer hunting has been in wilderness areas, but this unit doesn't seem to offer that type of remoteness, and it has tons of road access: would truck camping be my best bet here? Also, I do have access to a quad, would that be a welcome addition?

Thank you!

I finally have the time to hunt out of state this year and picked up a general season tag. I have a place to stay in Wallace, this unit showed favorable accessibility and success rates, and I haven't chased a whitetail since I was a teenager so I'm excited to just go see new country!

My preparation has brought up some logistics questions, and I was hoping to get some opinions/expertise from those more familiar with this unit. All advice is greatly appreciated!

• I'm planning for the last two weeks of October: what kind of weather and conditions should I expect?

• Picking up some bear and wolf tags might also be a good investment?

• Most of my deer hunting has been in wilderness areas, but this unit doesn't seem to offer that type of remoteness, and it has tons of road access: would truck camping be my best bet here? Also, I do have access to a quad, would that be a welcome addition?

Thank you!
As an Idaho resident, I will say that October can be really nice or really cold... Its just on the breaking point of full on winter, so layer up. But my best advise to you would be to not tell anyone you're from CA. Be respectful to others and you'll receive the same treatment. I've not personally hunted Unit 23, but I know that area is mostly forest. Unit 23 doesn't appear to have motorized restricted hunting rules, so you should be able to bring your quad.

As an Idaho resident, I will say that October can be really nice or really cold... Its just on the breaking point of full on winter, so layer up. But my best advise to you would be to not tell anyone you're from CA. Be respectful to others and you'll receive the same treatment. I've not personally hunted Unit 23, but I know that area is mostly forest. Unit 23 doesn't appear to have motorized restricted hunting rules, so you should be able to bring your quad.
Haha thank you. I'll have the layers loaded up.

Your point of advice has been a concern that's on my mind. Is the dislike for Californians that strong there? I guess I've seen some poor examples from hunters here that would lead me to believe it'd be for a good reason.

Should be easy advice to heed nonetheless, I'm a Midwest native and served in the Marines, etiquette and manners aren't completely dead west of the Sierra's. I promise I won't show up in a Tesla and ask where all the deer are, then for directions to the nearest charging station.

Your atv will be your friend for sure. Unfortunately, locals can be quite rude to outsiders, however - don't let that stop you from getting after it!

Definitely grab a wolf & bear tag - bring good glass, you will need it to comb through the vast clearcuts.

Your atv will be your friend for sure. Unfortunately, locals can be quite rude to outsiders, however - don't let that stop you from getting after it!
The
Definitely grab a wolf & bear tag - bring good glass, you will need it to comb through the vast clearcuts.
Thanks! The big gridworks of clearcuts are where I plan to focus a lot of my efforts.

Also, you've got a great store/website!

Haha thank you. I'll have the layers loaded up.

Your point of advice has been a concern that's on my mind. Is the dislike for Californians that strong there? I guess I've seen some poor examples from hunters here that would lead me to believe it'd be for a good reason.

Should be easy advice to heed nonetheless, I'm a Midwest native and served in the Marines, etiquette and manners aren't completely dead west of the Sierra's. I promise I won't show up in a Tesla and ask where all the deer are, then for directions to the nearest charging station.
S/F Devil dog. To answer you question yes, the dislike for doubling Idaho's population with a bunch of people that just want to change Idaho tends to lead to a distain for those groups of people. Hell, there's not too many places that like Californians, haha. But none of that matters if you act appropriately. Just giving you a heads up. Might want to get an extra moto sticker on the truck or something ;)