Interesting Test...

Joel Russo

9492B09D-F0B6-41CE-A2BD-64E6544E0989.jpeg
7E523F89-A23E-42BD-B336-D94BA262A2B1.jpeg
4AFA96CA-7C70-4A6C-B692-21C41D8593DF.jpeg

Always trying to make improvements... we've been working on a more efficient way to make our bolts.

After weeks of working on the first one made with the new programming and on an different machine, I did some testing.

This bolt was not heat treated, and had .002" less headspace than the bolt I use with this rifle.
I was shooting my 6 BR, our Vector action with switch barrel capability, and hand tight barrel.
First shot was center target, had different scope on last time I shot it.
Left group, normal bolt, and typical of this rifle.

I then screwed the barrel off, then hand tightened it back on... switched to the new bolt that was not heat treated and was .002" less headspace. Was a bit tight to close on live round. Shot the group on top right. You can see the blue Dykem still on the test bolt.

Groups shot with front bipod and rear bag.

Confirmation that we are able to now manufacture bolts more efficiently without any degradation to accuracy.

Last edited:
Pretty awesome machine work right there. Action, bolt, barrel, chassis, all of it. I wish I had some spare time, and our machines had some spare spindle time.

morning u people that were asking about what does it take
to b described as a good smithy?? u r looking at the work of two of the
best. outstanding justme gbot tum

Interesting Joel, always enjoy seeing your works progressing.

Have you considered cry treating vs heat treating? There's very little cost involved and with the right containers the LN keeps incredibly well.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.