Interesting new atricle...

FearNoWind said:
Whether "hunter" or "shooter", welcome brother harvester. :)
Doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Did we forget the trappers. Now that is some long range hunting. They can "harvest" from many miles away. Yet they have to hunt the sign, read the trails, understand the behavior.

We hear this debate every day in the shop, and theirs no clear cut defination and/or classification any of us fall into. Its just who we are and what we do, no sportsman's wrong unless their purpose is to hurt/wound game and trash the outdoors. But we all need to unite and fight the mis-information out in the world about what longrange hunting is and how much time and $$ we put into making ethical kills while hunting.
Just my thoughts... Now go "long range hunting" and shoot a buck at 111yds like I did 3 yrs ago :D
Chris
Benchmark

We hear this debate every day in the shop, and theirs no clear cut defination and/or classification any of us fall into. Its just who we are and what we do, no sportsman's wrong unless their purpose is to hurt/wound game and trash the outdoors. But we all need to unite and fight the mis-information out in the world about what longrange hunting is and how much time and $$ we put into making ethical kills while hunting.
Just my thoughts... Now go "long range hunting" and shoot a buck at 111yds like I did 3 yrs ago :D
Chris
Benchmark

+1 (your shot was twice as far as my long range deer shot this year. Its possible I was somewhat over gunned with my 300 RUM :rolleyes:)

IMO, there is a definition that can fit each of us within accurate predicted fires. That's how one can and have defended a debate under any form of hunting to include the nature of this forum. It is possible to draw a definable line in the sand. Unfortunately from experience too many are refusing to do such, elect to ignore the outcome, or don't know how. The later seems to be the most predominant.

Last edited:
Hunting is not the same for everyone. Each of us was raised hunting differently. I grew up hunting in Maine. Regarding whitetail...was not legal to drive deer, feed deer, etc. Other states allow that and I could not understand why. Hunters from those states did not know any different, it was how it was done.

as for hunting....it is really called WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT, controlled by the state. Meaning, there is an expected harvest number to keep numbers healthy. As much as we want to believe, it is no longer our "given right" to hunt. if it was, there would be no such things as drawings for tags or licenses with bag limits.

but how each of us hunts is personal and how we were brought into it colors our belief on how it should be done. trust me, a hundred years ago, if someone could have been able to harvest an animal at 1000 yards ( with newly aquired high tech equipment) they would have done so.

can you wound an animal at 1000 yards and not retrieve it? sure. however I have heard way more stories of wounded animals who were never found at way way shorter ranges. hunting in thick Maine woods, it happens fairly frequently.

one big thing that the long range hunters have going for them. most spend a lot of $$ getting the top end equipment and spend considerable range time practicing. shots are planned and thought out. I used to hate hunting the Maine woods early season....guys out hunting with semi-auto rifles, firing a complete mag to try to hit a running deer. now that is frustrating, and scary! many other hunters were either killed or hurt by this kind of hunting. when was the last time anyone heard of a hunter killed by another at long range because the hunter thought they were a deer? I have never heard it.
from what I can find, long range hunting is actually way safer also.

hunting is based on the equipment used and the experience of the hunter. yup, there are guys that should never take that 600 yard shot, just as there are a lot of hunters who should never ever shoot over 50 yards because they just can't seem to hit the broadside of a barn.

big problem is...we live in a society that some expect to force their ideas/opinions on other men....rather than just go on as individuals.

that is no different that goes on in this country, or, for the rest of the world actually.

We shot many more deer before Georgia started allowing baiting. Two seasons ago the club next to us, also shared a campground with us. They put out 12,000 lbs. of corn in the month of November, so I didn't see much. They're great guys but when I complained that I didn't have any raccoons left on my side they laugh and said not to worry they're doing just fine. On a new lease and we do bait, but I didn't do much better than the season before; I can't compete someone with money.

Hunting is not the same for everyone. Each of us was raised hunting differently. I grew up hunting in Maine. Regarding whitetail...was not legal to drive deer, feed deer, etc. Other states allow that and I could not understand why. Hunters from those states did not know any different, it was how it was done.

as for hunting....it is really called WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT, controlled by the state. Meaning, there is an expected harvest number to keep numbers healthy. As much as we want to believe, it is no longer our "given right" to hunt. if it was, there would be no such things as drawings for tags or licenses with bag limits.

but how each of us hunts is personal and how we were brought into it colors our belief on how it should be done. trust me, a hundred years ago, if someone could have been able to harvest an animal at 1000 yards ( with newly aquired high tech equipment) they would have done so.

can you wound an animal at 1000 yards and not retrieve it? sure. however I have heard way more stories of wounded animals who were never found at way way shorter ranges. hunting in thick Maine woods, it happens fairly frequently.

one big thing that the long range hunters have going for them. most spend a lot of $$ getting the top end equipment and spend considerable range time practicing. shots are planned and thought out. I used to hate hunting the Maine woods early season....guys out hunting with semi-auto rifles, firing a complete mag to try to hit a running deer. now that is frustrating, and scary! many other hunters were either killed or hurt by this kind of hunting. when was the last time anyone heard of a hunter killed by another at long range because the hunter thought they were a deer? I have never heard it.
from what I can find, long range hunting is actually way safer also.

hunting is based on the equipment used and the experience of the hunter. yup, there are guys that should never take that 600 yard shot, just as there are a lot of hunters who should never ever shoot over 50 yards because they just can't seem to hit the broadside of a barn.

big problem is...we live in a society that some expect to force their ideas/opinions on other men....rather than just go on as individuals.

that is no different that goes on in this country, or, for the rest of the world actually.

Some good points^^^

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.