Interesting week, first kills on new rifes.

WildRose

Well in the last week I had my first kills on game with the 375 Ruger and 6.8spc.

The Ruger was very interesing. Using Hornady 270gr Interbond had a shot on a little doe at 220yds, steep uphill at about 30 deg.

I was sitting in a makeshift blind consisting of a dead, downed tree with some of it's limbs propped up to break up visible outline.

I made a mistake I should not have. When the shot came I did NOT make absolutely clear of muzzle clearance!

Saw shot seemed oddly off, she was facing me almost straight on but with butt slightly quartering to the right.

Rifle zeroed at 200yds and wind not a factor.

Started shaking my head because I knew POA and POI should have been right on but I could see bullet strike considerably high ad left by bout 4-6".

Well I settle back into the blind because she was definitely DRT and after about a half hour noticed something odd. There was a 375 size hole through a 2" mesquite limb I was using as part of the blind. It was about 2" from the end of my muzzle brake!

Upon inspection the doe was indeed dead and the shot was still about 3-4" high and the same left!

Mystery solved!

A reminder to check muzzle clearance and then check it again particularly when shooting from a field expedient setup like mine.

Picked up a nice boar Tues Morning as well. Field dressed just over 377lbs after probably 120lbs of innards were removed.

It's only equipped with an Aimpoint Comp (Ruger mini in 6.8spc) tuned and customized by ASI in colorado a few years back.

Hit him just behind he ear on a dead run quartering right to left at a little over 200yds in the dark (legal to hunt hogs with lights at night in TX), Rolled him but he got up and turned dead straight away.

Wanted to stop him before he made it into brush so I laid one in just above his tail and got the perfect result. Split the pelvis in two but did not rupture the colon or other gut equipment.

Down like a sack of hammers!

Always enjoyed that little gun as a "truck gun" for varmints and predators on the fly but it did a more than passable job on the hog as well. Bullet was 110gr Accubond.

Put it in the right hole and it's a stopper even on critters much tougher than deer, it's a great round for this rifle and/or for anyone with a recoil sensitive shooters or those prone to be to use because of minimal recoil and little noise.

It's good to be back!

Great story brother, I wonder how much that Interbond opened before it hit that doe? I believe that is an extremely prevalent tip to share, I know I will think about your story in the future as I do not hunt in dense cover very often.

I also have a 6.8, chambered in a Stag AR. Nice little cartridge that offers a substantial bit more punch than my 5.56 does. It's not quite up to my Beowulf standards but it doesn't kick like a 12ga shooting slugs either :cool: I've got a soft spot for the 6.8, right or wrong. Mine sees a pretty steady diet of 110 V-Max as of right now, as I start tinkering with the loads, I'm more than certain I'll end up feeding it all sorts of fodder..... I'm good like that :D

t

I have had Mini 14s for more than 20 years. I like them. Stock they are not real accurate but depenable. I have bedded the actions and have done little tricks to get them almost as accurate as an Ar-15. I had thought about getting ASI to put a good heavy barrel on one of mine but never wanted to put that kind of money in a Mini. What kind of groups are you getting ? My 223s shoot around moa but I have lucked up and shot a few 5 shot 1/2 groups. Just can't do that too often. Most of the time 1" to 1 1/2' 5 shot 100yd groups.

Great story brother, I wonder how much that Interbond opened before it hit that doe? I believe that is an extremely prevalent tip to share, I know I will think about your story in the future as I do not hunt in dense cover very often.

I also have a 6.8, chambered in a Stag AR. Nice little cartridge that offers a substantial bit more punch than my 5.56 does. It's not quite up to my Beowulf standards but it doesn't kick like a 12ga shooting slugs either :cool: I've got a soft spot for the 6.8, right or wrong. Mine sees a pretty steady diet of 110 V-Max as of right now, as I start tinkering with the loads, I'm more than certain I'll end up feeding it all sorts of fodder..... I'm good like that :D

t
I've shot a whole lot of the SSA factory 6.8's with the 110 Accubonds and they shoot extremely well in the Mini. I had it accurized by ASI in Colorado before I even bought it and that combination has been deadly on coyotes and varmints out to 500yds.

My little brother borrowed it for a couple of years and his young son killed his first deer with it and a few pigs but this was the first time I'd actually had a chance to shoot anything other than varmints and predators with it.

In the right rig for medium and small game and even hogs it's an extremely effective round especially for 300-400yds max. More people should consider it for young shooters, women etc because it will definitely get the job done with minimal recoil and muzzle blast.

Well added one more today. Saw something moving in the grass this evening at about 470yds (could not get an accurate range to save my life since the CRP is literally just a sea of grass.

Got "The Beast" out, the RBros Custom 7mm STW that I picked up from Butter Beans and tried to figure out just what I was watching.

There was a small area where the grass thinned out and two nice sows walked into my scope. I've mounted a VX-6 4-24x50 on the rifle and am very impressed with the optic to this point. Already had it sitting on 10x which was perfect at that range and cranked it up about 18" using her back to brisket as measuring stick (zeroed at 200) with the cross hair level above her back about 12" and let the Winchester factory Supreme 160 failsafe fly!

Deader than a hammer would be an understatement, I don't think she even drew another breath.

Now if I can just get the right deer to pop out while I'm carrying it I'll have it thoroughly broken in.

This is not my pet round for the STW by any means but I love the nickel brass and found three boxes of them setting in a gun shop in Lubbock last time I was in there trading things out with the gunsmith so I jumped on them pretty fast.

Merry Christmas to all!

I have had Mini 14s for more than 20 years. I like them. Stock they are not real accurate but depenable. I have bedded the actions and have done little tricks to get them almost as accurate as an Ar-15. I had thought about getting ASI to put a good heavy barrel on one of mine but never wanted to put that kind of money in a Mini. What kind of groups are you getting ? My 223s shoot around moa but I have lucked up and shot a few 5 shot 1/2 groups. Just can't do that too often. Most of the time 1" to 1 1/2' 5 shot 100yd groups.
It is consistently sub MOA with whatever I feed it. He does a special bedding job on them drilling and pinning with two pins and a third Allen Screw that locks them hard to the stock. Added an improved spring buffer and a few other things he didn't really explain to me.

He is an absolute master with AR's and Mini's.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.