Help on first new build

7mmultrafan

I have a Winchester model 670 30-06. I want to build a 6.5-284 Norma mag. Would you guys opt for a different action or can this action be used and get a magnum bolt. Or am I better off finding a Remington or savage action for my build. Any info would be appreciated thank you.

The 670 was basically an economy car version of the Model 70. I'd find a good smith familiar with working with the M-70 action and have them look at yours before deciding.

It might be you have a good one that can easily be trued and then be the basis for a nice precision rig.

I wouldn't make any decisions either way until having a good smith go over it and give you their opinion.

The 6.5-.284 is not a belted magnum, it's based on the rebated .284 Winchester case, your current bolt should work just fine.

Bob

Your in luck. I have the same action that started life as a 270Win when my dad bought it as a boy. It is now a .308Win. The smith that put it together for me was able to get the trigger down to a crisp 2.5lbs. I have it set in a Hogue overmolded stock with Mod 70 bottom metal/hinged floor plate. Shoots really well. So well that I would like to sink a little more money into a better stock. The trick is the safety is external of the action instead of on the tang or the bolt. So you will need a little extra removed for the safety to work well. You can purchase a Mod 70 stock. The hole spacing for mounting screws are the same. I wouldn't be afraid to use it at all. Here's mine:

IMG_3706.jpg

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.