Help with first build?

Deerslayer11

Hi guys. I'm new to long range shooting. I have a Remington 700 BDL chambered in 300WM. Problem is I don't have a scope. The stock is beat up so I want a aftermarket one. And the trigger pull is 7lbs! Any suggestions for helping me shoot a deer a 800 yards max this year? Thanks

Big question would be, what is your budget? You could spend a lot of money getting that file to a level where is could consistently shoot 800 yards. At a minimum it might require a new stock with bedding and a new trigger. Then a good scope. After all of that you may discover you need a better barrel. If the barrel is needed, the rifle might not be ready for this seasons hunt.

Also, do you hand load your ammo now for the rifle or does it shoot factory ammo? How well does it shoot now?

Might be better to purchase a new rifle that is setup for long range. Savage has a good rifle called Long Range Hunter. Ruger has a new rifle out named Ruger Precision Rifle. The Ruger in 6.5 Creedmoor would probably get you to 600 yards with Hornady factory ammo chambered for 6.5 Creedmoor with the 140 gr. A-Max bullet.

Check these two rifles out.

Ruger Precision Rifle™
Savage Arms

Big question would be, what is your budget? You could spend a lot of money getting that file to a level where is could consistently shoot 800 yards. At a minimum it might require a new stock with bedding and a new trigger. Then a good scope. After all of that you may discover you need a better barrel. If the barrel is needed, the rifle might not be ready for this seasons hunt.

Also, do you hand load your ammo now for the rifle or does it shoot factory ammo? How well does it shoot now?

Might be better to purchase a new rifle that is setup for long range. Savage has a good rifle called Long Range Hunter. Ruger has a new rifle out named Ruger Precision Rifle. The Ruger in 6.5 Creedmoor would probably get you to 600 yards with Hornady factory ammo chambered for 6.5 Creedmoor with the 140 gr. A-Max bullet.

Check these two rifles out.

Ruger Precision Rifle™
Savage Arms

$760. 2 Mia free handed at 100 yards. I will sell other guns to build this one. Thanks @barrelnut

I for the most part agree with what has been said so far. To give you the correct options we need to know a little bit about you. What is your experience shooting rifles and at what ranges? Even if your rifle is accurate to 800 yards does not mean that you are. It takes a lot of practice to become good enough to consistently shoot accurately that far. You have a good starting platform. With some trigger work, stock work, good glass, and a lot of shooting you might be ready to take game at a considerable distance by next season. Good luck and welcome to long range hunting!

All good points by pburton.

It takes lots and lots of practice to become a competent 800 yard shooter. The shooter is as big or bigger factor than the rifle. That's one reason I suggested a new purpose built rifle to get you there for THIS season. This season is not far away and depending on your current abilities, you need to get in a lot of range time before this season starts. Trying to build the current rifle now might not be wise if you expect/need it to do a 800 yard shot this season.

Like pburton said, lets us know a little more about the rifle and you.

I for the most part agree with what has been said so far. To give you the correct options we need to know a little bit about you. What is your experience shooting rifles and at what ranges? Even if your rifle is accurate to 800 yards does not mean that you are. It takes a lot of practice to become good enough to consistently shoot accurately that far. You have a good starting platform. With some trigger work, stock work, good glass, and a lot of shooting you might be ready to take game at a considerable distance by next season. Good luck and welcome to long range hunting!
Well the gun was my fathers so it's pretty old but I shoot at 200 yards with it now and achieve 2moa. Not great but okay. Me as a shooer, Im used to short range. Under 300 yards. I do shoot long range at groundhogs.nthe farthest kill shot with that was 640 yards. Major drop for a 223 but i hit my target. The gun is a Savage 11 with a 6-18 Vortex scope. If that helps. Thanks. Pburton and barrelnut

deerslayer11- you do not say if you reload. do you want to stay with the 300 wm cartridge? it is a simple matter to adjust the trigger. google remington crisp. i have a rem 700 made 1966 it shoots amazing. by adjusting the trigger and cleaning the barrel . and mounting a good scope yours may shoot great . if not you can rebarrel . if you get on stockysstocks.com you can order a synthetic stock.

deerslayer11- you do not say if you reload. do you want to stay with the 300 wm cartridge? it is a simple matter to adjust the trigger. google remington crisp. i have a rem 700 made 1966 it shoots amazing. by adjusting the trigger and cleaning the barrel . and mounting a good scope yours may shoot great . if not you can rebarrel . if you get on stockysstocks.com you can order a synthetic stock.

I do not use handloads. I would rather get something flatter shooting that doesn't burn the barrel as fast. I'm planning on getting a 4-12 vortex or 4.5-14 leupold scope.

OK. Sounds like you want to build and keep this rifle long term, Don't blame you. And Roninflag is right some of the older Rem 700s can be real shooters.

First you need to decide if you want to keep it more of a sporter weight carry rifle or make it a more dedicated long range rig. The big difference between the two is usually the stock and barrel contour/weight.

If it were me and I wanted to hunt with it this year I would put a Bell & Carlson aluminum bedding block stock on it and replace the trigger. I would get the sporter weight version of the B&C stock and a Timney trigger. Sounds like the 300mag doesn't have a scope yet. If the Vortex scope on the .223 is a good one, I would then move to the 300 and see what you get. If all is working and you want a dedicated scope on it the Vortex PST and Sightron III scopes are good and reasonable priced.

If all works well and next year you want to make it a dedicated varmint/long range rig. Sell the B&C sporter stock and get the B&C tactical stock and rebarrel with a good Sendero contour barrel.
Links to B%C stocks at Stockys:
https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock...wsm-weatherby-mk-v-with-aluminum-bedding.html
https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock...-700-short-action-1001-long-action-stock.html

Timney trigger
https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock...-700-short-action-1001-long-action-stock.html

OK. Sounds like you want to build and keep this rifle long term, Don't blame you. And Roninflag is right some of the older Rem 700s can be real shooters.

First you need to decide if you want to keep it more of a sporter weight carry rifle or make it a more dedicated long range rig. The big difference between the two is usually the stock and barrel contour/weight.

If it were me and I wanted to hunt with it this year I would put a Bell & Carlson aluminum bedding block stock on it and replace the trigger. I would get the sporter weight version of the B&C stock and a Timney trigger. Sounds like the 300mag doesn't have a scope yet. If the Vortex scope on the .223 is a good one, I would then move to the 300 and see what you get. If all is working and you want a dedicated scope on it the Vortex PST and Sightron III scopes are good and reasonable priced.

If all works well and next year you want to make it a dedicated varmint/long range rig. Sell the B&C sporter stock and get the B&C tactical stock and rebarrel with a good Sendero contour barrel.
Links to B%C stocks at Stockys:
https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock...wsm-weatherby-mk-v-with-aluminum-bedding.html

Timney trigger

Thanks for the info. I will defiantly check it out. The scope on my 223 I would like to keep there because my eyes struggle to see the really small targets. My only problem with this 300 is I can't shoot more than 2 shots without a minute break. My shoulder kinda pays the tole.

Deer- weight helps. if you rebarrel with a heavier , krieger barrel , drop it in a synthetic stock like the ones mentioned. i would try adjusting the trigger first. it is easy. i would get the leup scope. if you are talking 800 yards for eastern whitetail and you do not reload, i would say you are going to rebarrel to 7mm rem mag. add a brake for sure .

Deer- weight helps. if you rebarrel with a heavier , krieger barrel , drop it in a synthetic stock like the ones mentioned. i would try adjusting the trigger first. it is easy. i would get the leup scope. if you are talking 800 yards for eastern whitetail and you do not reload, i would say you are going to rebarrel to 7mm rem mag. add a brake for sure .

Okay thanks. How much will the break take off recoil? Sorry for the short response.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts