Improving the 308 Win performance

My 308 is my go-to rifle for most things, I have been a huge 308 promoter for many years. But, I thought my 308 load was getting VERY sporty with a 168 A-Max doing 2840 out of a 26" barrel. And, in my rifle it IS a sporty load, it's about .7 grains under pressure signs on every piece of brass and will expire hornady brass in 4-5 loadings by expanding the primer pockets. A 30-06 it is not, but I still love it!

That being said, one performance window that had opened up with any old school 30 has to be with the 120 Barnes tac tx originally meant for .300 blackout. With a .358 g1 bc (and probably much higher at non .300 blk velocity) and the .308 easily being able to break 3000 fps by a lot, you legit emulate the original .270 Winchester performance with a lot less powder.

Or run them at 4050 fps out of a magnum. It's what I do 😁😁😁😁
But the 10 twist doesn't do so great it turns out. Not sure as accurate as I want d at that speed, my 300 really likes 200+ grainers.

My next light and fast endeavour is with a .257 wby shooting 75 hammer hunters and 90 grain absolute hammers.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Steven I have had a 168 ABLR over 2970 out of my 20" 308 5R with CFE223.

They just don't shoot worth a flip.
I had to go back and look at a powder chart. I didn't realize cfe223 was so close to varget and the like of burn rate. I assumed it was faster for some reason but makes sense now that I looked at it.

What twist rate did you have on that barrel? I assume 10. Now I'm gonna have to tinker with my GAP 308 and see what I can get out of it. Have only shot factory GMM out of it since it was a work rifle and people couldn't possibly handload better quality ammo 🙄 I'm running a 11.25 twist though.

I had to go back and look at a powder chart. I didn't realize cfe223 was so close to varget and the like of burn rate. I assumed it was faster for some reason but makes sense now that I looked at it.

What twist rate did you have on that barrel? I assume 10. Now I'm gonna have to tinker with my GAP 308 and see what I can get out of it. Have only shot factory GMM out of it since it was a work rifle and people couldn't possibly handload better quality ammo 🙄 I'm running a 11.25 twist though.
My 5R has 11.25 twist rate. I've shot up to the Berger 205 Elites out of it with good accuracy.

It seems to be an anomaly for sure.

Don't broadcast this info about cfe223 being like varget!!!!!!

I grabbed 4 pounds of the stuff the other day, as supplies trickle back into Canada as well it was one of the few powders everyone wasn't buying up completely 🤣

Maximizing chamberings like the 308 or the 7mm-08 is a very fun endeavor, the result are rewarding since you break into ranges many think the bullets won't even make it to it seems let alone get performance from them.
Can you give a picture definition of "open" at the far end of the impact velocities, so many manufactures call loosing the tip and the nose of the bullet still at cal or less diameter it's hard get a picture of honest performance on game to be looking for.

Maximizing chamberings like the 308 or the 7mm-08 is a very fun endeavor, the result are rewarding since you break into ranges many think the bullets won't even make it to it seems let alone get performance from them.
Can you give a picture definition of "open" at the far end of the impact velocities, so many manufactures call loosing the tip and the nose of the bullet still at cal or less diameter it's hard get a picture of honest performance on game to be looking for.
Indeed. For true low velocity opening it hard to beat the eld m, tmk, and most surprisingly the federal trophy bonded tip.

I grabbed 4 pounds of the stuff the other day, as supplies trickle back into Canada as well it was one of the few powders everyone wasn't buying up completely 🤣
Both made by Hodgdon. They control the supply and price

I mean no it's not.... it's totally different..... total garbage.... don't buy it..... cough cough

😂😂

Indeed. For true low velocity opening it hard to beat the eld m, tmk, and most surprisingly the federal trophy bonded tip.
The absolute lowest I've taken a bullet was a 215 from a 308 on an antelope, it was below 1500 fps and opened well by the looks of the wound channel but despite hours of looking I couldn't find the bullet. I've had some luck finding bullets after pass throughs but the lower the impact with heavies I find it harder to get one caught in an animal.

How low you can go has to have accuracy first though and it has to be pretty much first rate, if a bullet won't hold it's accuracy bullet terminal performance doesn't really matter IMO.

I'm interested in this post, but….what's a "150 gr BD"?? I'm just starting load development for an Aero Precision in .308, interested in others exeriences
It's made by Badlands Precision and they make a second generation Bull Dozer (BD2) which is the hunting line of bullets. PM me if you want more specific information. There is a short video on UTUBE called 150 gr Bull Dozer vs Blue Wildebeest. Used that bullet in a 20" 308Win with an MV of 2920 fps 1:10 barrel at 482 yds.