I'm Done With Nosler Brass!

I am aghast at the amount of being off between two lots. I had to test a theory. I would say that you could be off by 4.4 grains, but 44 grains I can not believe. I just weighed 120 various/random cases from my supply of 264 Win and 7MM rem brass (the median weight was 235 grains, extreme spread on weights was 234.1 through 238.2). this is over all brands and both calibers: winchester, hornady, nosler, Federal, Norma, Barnes, and even W-W, XX-supreme. Only 2 cases were over 236.4. one winchester at 237.9 and another Winchester XX-supreme at 238.2. only one 234.1. most in the 234.X were 234.9. the "80% bell curve" had 235.0 through 236.0 in it. the actual number under the 1 grain curve was 107. something has to be wrong with your measuring, a 20% weight increase between two lots just can not happen. a 2% variance between lots is very much under the alloying and metallurgy manufacturing allowances. I would check your weights again. something went horribly wrong here.

I have used Nosler bras for some time in various calibers due to it consistency within lots and even when using other lots it was within a grain or two of other lots. But then I ran across a 44 grain difference between two different lots. I called Nosler support on this issue and they did not seem to be surprised with this much of a difference. I explained I was not able to purchase Nosler brass except on line or drive long distances to try and find the same lot. I asked if it is possible two buy bulk quantities with no luck. I explained I enjoy shooting and hunting LR and it would be nice if they would offer the option to buy in larger quantities than 50 for this specific caliber. Getting no where with Nosler I decided to give up on them and ask for input from others who they trust in quality brass and can be bought in quantities of 200 plus in the same lot. Look forward to your input.
I understand your frustrations. I exclusively use nosler brass In my 7mm rm. It comes in 50 each boxes. So I bought about 5 boxes of it. Mostly all the same lot. This was prior to the release of adg 7mm rm. However I have luckily not ran into the weight difference you have but I do no doubt your findings. The nosler brass was a step up from Remington , Hornady & Winchester. I'm sure that adg would be another step up.

Peterson brass is getting some really good reviews, and there is always Lapua if they make it for the gun you are talking about, you didn't specify. Both can be bought in batches of 100 and easy to get suppliers to send same lots if you order more.

P.S. Just saw you said 7 Rem Mag in a later post, no Lapua for 7 or 300 Mag.
Petersen doesn't make 300 Win Mag either...they have been trying to do so for more than a year...can't seem to get it right...I really like their .308 Win brass though...

I am aghast at the amount of being off between two lots. I had to test a theory. I would say that you could be off by 4.4 grains, but 44 grains I can not believe. I just weighed 120 various/random cases from my supply of 264 Win and 7MM rem brass (the median weight was 235 grains, extreme spread on weights was 234.1 through 238.2). this is over all brands and both calibers: winchester, hornady, nosler, Federal, Norma, Barnes, and even W-W, XX-supreme. Only 2 cases were over 236.4. one winchester at 237.9 and another Winchester XX-supreme at 238.2. only one 234.1. most in the 234.X were 234.9. the "80% bell curve" had 235.0 through 236.0 in it. the actual number under the 1 grain curve was 107. something has to be wrong with your measuring, a 20% weight increase between two lots just can not happen. a 2% variance between lots is very much under the alloying and metallurgy manufacturing allowances. I would check your weights again. something went horribly wrong here.
The water weight difference was 36.9 gr. when filled with water to top of case

In 30-06, I have Nosler Trophy Loaded ammo brass that weighs about 175 vs Nosler box reloading brass that weighs around 200
Same situation with 280AI. Considerable weight difference at 20 grains and water capacity was about 4 grains difference. Back to load development, since the loaded ammo brass being reloaded gave me problems with pressure/ wild speed variation. Frustrating.

Just another observation on Nosler brass, but not sure what it means or why. Both .260 rem and .280 AI cases with 4-6 reloadings developed a donut at the neck/shoulder junction. I've loaded Remington, Winchester, Federal and Lapua brass the same number of times (or more) and never had this happen. Coincidence?

I understand your frustrations. I exclusively use nosler brass In my 7mm rm. It comes in 50 each boxes. So I bought about 5 boxes of it. Mostly all the same lot. This was prior to the release of adg 7mm rm. However I have luckily not ran into the weight difference you have but I do no doubt your findings. The Nosler brass was a step up from Remington , Hornady & Winchester. I'm sure that adg would be another step up.
I agree that I have had good experience with Nosler until this issue I had. For this and what you stated I need a supplier that I can buy 200 plus of the same lot. Nosler does not offer this unless your lucky to find enough boxes of 50 quantity in this case.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.