I'm Done With Nosler Brass!

I believe norma makes noslers brass for them !

I read somewhere fairly recently that Nosler bought Silver State Armory, and are now starting to make their own brass. It may be that in switching over to production in their new facility from the Norma-made brass they are seeing this large variation. If this is what's going on, it wouldn't hurt to have some communication from them about this. In a competitive market like this, it's not a good idea to get a black eye.

I have used Nosler bras for some time in various calibers due to it consistency within lots and even when using other lots it was within a grain or two of other lots. But then I ran across a 44 grain difference between two different lots. I called Nosler support on this issue and they did not seem to be surprised with this much of a difference. I explained I was not able to purchase Nosler brass except on line or drive long distances to try and find the same lot. I asked if it is possible two buy bulk quantities with no luck. I explained I enjoy shooting and hunting LR and it would be nice if they would offer the option to buy in larger quantities than 50 for this specific caliber. Getting no where with Nosler I decided to give up on them and ask for input from others who they trust in quality brass and can be bought in quantities of 200 plus in the same lot. Look forward to your input.
Call Brunos how much do you want 500 or 10.000 they will send it to your door same lot numbers. 623 587-7641

As I stated earlier, I have been a long time Nosler brass user on various calibers and have not encountered big differences between lots. For instance I have 3 different lots of 28 Nosler and they are all within 1.2 grains of each other. This is totally unacceptable and Nosler support person on December 2nd didn't seem to be too surprised with this big variance.
I am curious in what the difference in water volume is between the heavey and light cases.

so I would call them back and ask to talk to management.
that is gross and way beyond NORMAL MANUFACTURING tolerance.
and how many pcs in that weight class..the whole box ?

I know that Norma has two different case weights for the 300 Win Mag. I don't remember the number of grains but it is very different. Maybe Nosler has done something similar?

added - Norma even has separate reloading data for two different weights.
https://www.norma-ammunition.com/us/Ammunition-Academy/Reloading-Data/300-Winchester-Magnum---light/

WOW, that is great info, but that is also F'd up. How is the average reloader supposed to know something like that or find out? I'd think that should be noted on the package of Brass, but also, it should be noted in any catalog where you are purchasing from, both on-line and in a print magazine. The 300 win mag .... is off by 55 grains per case! That is virtually a different cartridge.

I try to stick with Winchester brass. This has been recognized as about the best brass you can get for a reasonable price (for many years). I've heard rumors that there were some inconsistencies here and there for a while but any problems have been worked out many years ago. It has worked well for me. George Gardener swears by it.

I shoot nosler in 300 win mag.
I have shot new boxed, seconds boxed and seconds bagged.
the box stuff has been great with in their advertised 1 gr spec. buy 2 boxes and resort to 1/2 grain.
the bagged seconds were indeed SECONDS very mixed and big weight spread. but still shootable, just not as many good 50 rd lots.

technically from a TARGET shooters perspective, it is pure crap.
I bought 300 pcs, got one lot of 50 out of it and gave up on it shortly afterwards.
short range hunting/plinking have no where near the standards of real long range target shooters

[QUOTE="Michael Cantor, post: 1770643, member: 104167"
I try to stick with Winchester brass. This has been recognized as about the best brass you can get for a reasonable price (for many years)..[/QUOTE]

For those that didn't see the pictures that were requested here they are again.
I bought some Nosler and Adg brass in 7 mag recently. The Nosler weighed about 213 gr like you are seeing. The ADG weighed 242 gr. I was planning to develop loads for both to see how they compared, but because of the large difference I decided to put the Nosler away and use the ADG since I think it may be significantly tougher?

Last edited:
I have used Nosler bras for some time in various calibers due to it consistency within lots and even when using other lots it was within a grain or two of other lots. But then I ran across a 44 grain difference between two different lots. I called Nosler support on this issue and they did not seem to be surprised with this much of a difference. I explained I was not able to purchase Nosler brass except on line or drive long distances to try and find the same lot. I asked if it is possible two buy bulk quantities with no luck. I explained I enjoy shooting and hunting LR and it would be nice if they would offer the option to buy in larger quantities than 50 for this specific caliber. Getting no where with Nosler I decided to give up on them and ask for input from others who they trust in quality brass and can be bought in quantities of 200 plus in the same lot. Look forward to your input.

I have been checks case weigths for years. Found that older Noma brass RP, PMC, Fed cases were the heaviest. Winchester brass was the lightest of the them all. I have purchase some Hornady and Nosler brass sometime back, because of not being able to get winchester brass. I generally shot a belted mag case. I started to look at the Hornady and Nosler brass. It's seem to me that is was lighter than the Winchester Brass. I use to purchase brass at the range of all different types back in the early 2002. It was a lot cheaper than going to the store to get cases. Seeing that I was shooting a 308 Norma Mag, and getting case for that was another problem in itself.

Mike

I try to buy USA ,starline and peterson.Starline has had some growing pains,they listen to feedback.I am on my 4x of 6mm predator (grendel) sill looks good,weighs in 2nd to laupa,lot cheaper than lapua,better than hornady.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.