I'm having a problem with the CBTO

Very Good!

This method is for the serious hand loader because one has to pull the barrel and receiver out of the stock and do a few more things to get ready. It is, nonetheless, clearly a very repeatable method.

The remaining question is: "How does one extend to AR's or to break actions like the the TC Encore? Both types are capable of impressive accuracy.

In my experience with the Hornady OAL gauge, it took me a while to get the "feel" for it. I found after I inadvertantly "stuck" a few bullets in the lands that sharpened my "feel" for it. Plus it depends on the bullet you are using. ELD/VLDs are a little harder to feel. And it does help, to have Hornady make a modified case with a once-fired case from YOUR rifle. I also found using both the Hornady and Sinclair comparators as a way to double check my measurements. They are different between the two, but you get two sets of date. I use an average of 10 measurements on each gauge. I have not started using my newly-acquired Forster Datum kit yet.

To me finding the exact spot or COAL the lands are is not extremely important unless you want to precisely track your throat wear. It's really just a reference point for me to work from as I test different seating depths to find what shoots best

I usually get 4-5 measurements and average them. I typically make my own threaded brass tool but buy the hornady tool at times.

I slide a cleaning rod down the barrel and push back and forth with the hornady tool and the cleaning rod to get the best feel of where the lands are.

To answer your question about an RPR throat, if it's been pushed hard you may be feeling fire cracking in the throat. Could be anything.

I am using a fired modified case. My problem, my question is only about the Ruger RPR 6.5 creedmoor and using the Hornady OAL guage. I have been reloading for my Remington rifles and Savage for 15 years, no problem. Please direct your well appreciated comments to load set up for the Ruger 6.5 creedmoor. Thank you all again.

To me finding the exact spot or COAL the lands are is not extremely important unless you want to precisely track your throat wear. It's really just a reference point for me to work from as I test different seating depths to find what shoots best

I usually get 4-5 measurements and average them. I typically make my own threaded brass tool but buy the hornady tool at times.

I slide a cleaning rod down the barrel and push back and forth with the hornady tool and the cleaning rod to get the best feel of where the lands are.

To answer your question about an RPR throat, if it's been pushed hard you may be feeling fire cracking in the throat. Could be anything.
Yes I agree with you on your procedure, I am doing it the very same way. The rifle is new. Maybe 20 rounds of Hornady 147 ELD-M to site the scope. So I don't think it is fire cracking. And I have looked with a bore scope to see why it is different feel at the lands than my other 5 rifles. This is only about the Ruger 6.5 creedmoor I just bought.
Thank you for your comment.

Please direct your well appreciated comments to load set up for the Ruger 6.5 creedmoor.
Sorry, I don't own a RPR or a 6.5 Creedmoor for that matter....and I'm certainly no "expert". However, like I mentioned in post#10 I think you may just be experiencing a slight difference/anomaly in how your throat was reamed. Good luck, Sir. ;)

Side note: RPR: Ruger Precision Rifle OR Ruger Precision Rimfire. I occasionally have to clarify depending on who I speaking with! example: "Yu are reloading a .22LR?" insert smiley face emoji here.

Did you feel anything different when cleaning as a patch engages the throat?

What was your barrel break in procedure?

How does it shoot?

The other real good thing about the Wheeler method is since you have the ejector off and firing pin out, you might as well validate your brass headspace to the rifle doing pretty much the exact steps except for brass. I've never really had any issue finding the lans but I can see how it can be a problem.

I picked up a tap off Amazon to match the Stoney Point now Hornady comparator and although it is correct, it is really tough to properly hold the brass so you can both drill out and tap without buggering the side of the brass up unless you have a good means to do so. I've made a few on my own but have to laugh that I butchered up brass before I got what I wanted.

Much easier to send Hornady three pieces of spent brass to make one up for you since it will fit your rifle perfectly.

I used the Hornady straight OAL gauge with plastic center stem,, for many years. On the advise of Glen Zediker, in one of his books, I bought a curved tool which has a coiled metal core. I found the curved tool has better feel and much more repeatable results. I will measure and release until until I have 4 identical measures. That is the number I use. May be crude but works for me so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.