Bad experence with Nosler blem brass

Retired2021

I recently purchased 100 pieces of 28 Nosler brass from Shooters Pro Shop. These were blems. It is my understanding that "blems" are useable but have visual blemishes such as small dents, water spots etc. The blems I received were 25% unusable. If I can I will attach a picture. The necks were split and some had a hole thru the shoulder of the case at the end of the split neck.

I contacted Shooters Pro Shop. The fellow there is very nice but said for warranty items I needed to talk to Nosler. I sent an email to Nosler and was completely ignored. The experience sure leaves a sour taste in my mouth for a company I have been loyal to for a long time.

Attachments

• 20220910_131723.jpg
    20220910_131723.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 262
I recently purchased 100 pieces of 28 Nosler brass from Shooters Pro Shop. These were blems. It is my understanding that "blems" are useable but have visual blemishes such as small dents, water spots etc. The blems I received were 25% unusable. If I can I will attach a picture. The necks were split and some had a hole thru the shoulder of the case at the end of the split neck.

I contacted Shooters Pro Shop. The fellow there is very nice but said for warranty items I needed to talk to Nosler. I sent an email to Nosler and was completely ignored. The experience sure leaves a sour taste in my mouth for a company I have been loyal to for a long time.
From what I see in the picture is unacceptable even for blemishes. But if you're able to use 75% of the 100 cases at a substantial discount I wouldn't complain too much about it but just steer clear of the blem brass in the future. Just my .02

You'll see stuff like that slip through occasionally even with factory "first" brass, although maybe more commonly with Winchester and others.

I've bought plenty of 2nds and blems through SPS with the understanding that not all of them were going to be perfect. I'd use the cases that you can and have it be a learning experience - don't buy blems again in the future.

I have read a few forums about Nosler brass & the quality. It has me hesitant to buy. I could really use it for a rare caliber these days. It is listed as new brass. I am just getting into reloading. And have about 100 Rem brass that was fired once possibly twice according to the seller. Which I personally don't know. But brass does mic well & look well to me. So my question is should I stay clear of the Nosler brass even though being a new product ? Or do you think it should be fine if I don't try loading hot rounds ? Or is this Nosler brass just good enough for 1 or two reloads ? I was reading on here yesterday someone was blowing primers in their Nosler brass. I think it was a 6.5 CM.

WHAT CLASSIFIES A BLEM?
Products are considered a "blem" when there is imperfections. This generally is discoloration on the bullet jacket or brass casing, or potentially some scratches and dents. There may even be some sizing differences. A blemished bullet could also have a cannelure or band. WE label these to be blem products becuase they did not pass Nosler's strict inspections process but are perfectly fine to load or shoot.

That seems a bit outside their definition of a blem if they say it should be "perfectly fine to load or shoot."

I have used blem brass and bullets for years with very few complaints. My nose is most out of joint becasue of the lack of interest by Nosler in the fact they let a reject product out the door and wouldn't bother to communicate about it.

As soon as other brands of brass is available I will be switching. I have mostly already switched to Hammer bullets and am very happy there. Customer service counts.

I have bought several lots of Nosler blems from SPS. Mostly very nice brass. I suspect often, its just run of the mill brass that they have too much of the Nosler fully prepped brass. So they don't need it. Since I really prefer to prep my own brass, I am happy. I weight and throw the outliers even with really good stuff (Lapua etc) Nicer to throw away $0.50 brass than $1.50 brass!

Split necks and holes are NOT blems. Agreed.

I hate to hear about your experience. I'm not sure what's going on with Nosler but it is impossible to contact customer service. I've tried to contact them by phone and email numerous times regarding their rifles and never gotten a return. I've always liked their products but like you I believe customer service is just as if not more important than the product. I've since switched to others for bullets and as much as I love my M48 I sometimes wish I could wipe the Nosler engraving off my receiver. I can't stand that a company that won't give their patrons the time of day.

Does anyone know for sure whether Nosler makes their rifle brass in-house? or is it a subcontract thing? Don't get me wrong, I like Nosler products and have used them for over 40 + years... I had a similar thing happen with another major manufacturer; who I won't name, they made me whole in the deal and I'm sure they've corrected their brass manufacturing in-house problem(s) since then. The photos are of new "virgin".223 brass that I loaded, that came apart in the magazine(s). Not a good thing for duty or self-defense ammo, I had about 1500 plus rounds of their brass.

20200814_151552.jpg
20200813_041109.jpg
20200904_101754.jpg

20200905_110605.jpg

They use to sub contract Norma. Then I believe they took over making their own brass about the time they bought Silver State Armory. SSA before the switch made very good strong brass. IIRC, the owner, Art, offered to show them the process as part of the purchase. They rejected the offer. So, instead of ADG quality brass, you get costly soft crap IMO. Way better choices out there. Lapua, ADG, Atlas, Peterson etc.

Think I would almost rather sort thru Winchester than buy Nosler.

Does anyone know for sure whether Nosler makes their rifle brass in-house? or is it a subcontract thing? Don't get me wrong, I like Nosler products and have used them for over 40 + years... I had a similar thing happen with another major manufacturer; who I won't name, they made me whole in the deal and I'm sure they've corrected their brass manufacturing in-house problem(s) since then. The photos are of new "virgin".223 brass that I loaded, that came apart in the magazine(s). Not a good thing for duty or self-defense ammo, I had about 1500 plus rounds of their brass.

View attachment 404367View attachment 404369View attachment 404376
View attachment 404366
Looks like Nosler forgot that annealing step. Usually their stuff is soft. That is seriously brittle high stress state to split/separate all around the shoulder area.

I guess you could save it by giving it a good anneal run. But I would be leary. Maybe a bad batch of core brass?