If you could design a cartridge from scratch

Calvin, there is a guy on this site building a 6/280 AI for heavy bullets, this should be very interesting.
I thought about the 6-280 Ackley, just need to finish these 2. The 25 was designed around the 133gr and 135gr Bergers, the 6.5 was designed around the 156gr Berger. Both designed to use necked down 280 Ackley Sammi brass with no changes to the shoulder.

IMG_6109.jpeg

That is "sick".
Looks like the design goal is to make the powder column as close to spherical or at lead a cylinder as wide as it is tall as practically possible.

The shoulder looks like the start of a weatherby double radius that just forgot to curve out the other way 🤣. Just a "radius" no double haha

According to Mic it's the 6mmBR case.

Description
SMc cartridges were developed in an attempt to produce an efficient cartridge combining low recoil, low heat, and high velocity. The 5 mm/35 SMc has produced velocities in excess of 4,800 ft/s (1,500 m/s) shooting a 30-grain (1.9 g) molybdenum disulfide-coated Berger bullet from a 28-inch (71 cm) Pac-Nor barrel, far higher than its commercial counterpart the .204 Ruger.
Although it is a wildcat cartridge, rifles chambered for 5mm/35 are (were) available from the custom shop at Savage Arms.
The patents for the cartridge are US 7210260, US 7086336 and US 2003079639.

I remember when you could buy factory loaded sabot rounds. Can you still get them from the factory or do you have to assemble them yourself? What kind of velosity do they get nowdays?

The Remington Accelerator rounds have been discontinued for many years, and these are handloads using a box of older E. Arthur Brown sabots. When pushed "hard", the 30-06 50gr breaks the 5k fps mark, but its best accuracy in the rifle I shoot it in is around 4,700fps. The 308 with a 50gr reaches the 4,500-4,600fps range, but best for me around 4,300fps.

The 300 RUM has not been tested yet, as I was discussing this on Butter Bean's thread about breaking the 5k mark with a 50-55gr. I will have to learn what powder and charge this case will like to reach top vels, but I do have some data on a 300WinMag, so I will start there with a max load and work up. I don't believe there will be a direct correlation between case capacity, as usually, I do not see that in my testing.

Last edited:
1687111563951.png

The infamous Remington Accelerator cartridge was introduced in 1977 in three different high-powered rifle cartridges: .30-30, .308 and .30-06. Remington seated a .22 caliber bullet inside a .30 caliber sabot, then seated the sabot in the mouth of the cartridge case. It was a great concept that didn't work particularly well. The intent was to give a hunter a high speed varmint gun without having to go to the expense of buying a dedicated varmint rifle. Essentially, a .30 caliber rifles that fired a .22 bullet up to 4000-foot per second. In other words a .308 Accelerator could boast ballistics comparable to the .22/.250 round.

How it was envisioned to work was as simple as the sea is salt. When fired, the sabot holding the .22 caliber bullet zipped down the barrel and dropped to the ground immediately after exiting the muzzle. Due to the sabot having engraved itself into the rifling, the .22 caliber projectile rotated downrange. In theory. In reality, the .22 caliber bullet wasn't stabilized and began to tumble after 50 or so yards. Some say the Accelerator was nothing less an abysmal failure. While others claim to have had no problem knocking off jack rabbits on a regular basis.

Another issue, Accelerator sabots, being plastic, left residue in the rifling lands and groove.The final nail in the coffin was histrionic anti-gun zealots who pronounced Accelerator Cartridges as "assassin" bullets. This for the simple reason they did not engrave rifling marks on the .22 caliber bullet, that would otherwise allow forensic experts to study their striae under a stereo microscope in order to trace a bullet to the rifle that fired it. Ultimately Remington yielded to government pressure and stopped making the Accelerators in calibers .308 and .30-06. The ill logic was that .308 and .30-06 could be chambered in "military" semi-auto and fully automatic rifles.

Production of vintage .30-30 Winchester, not considered to be as deadly, and less likely to be used in a violent crime, continued in production.

With all that in mind, and contrary to ignorant internet posts, know the truth, that Accelerator rounds are NOT illegal, Not in any state and not under Federal law. Accelerator cartridges remain available. Albeit supplies are drying up. The sabot (pronounced - sayboh) principle has also been applied to .30 calibre loads in .50 Browning rifles and M2 belt-fed machineguns. Moreover, reloaders can fashion loads using .30 cal sabots from EABCO, Know sabots tend to shoot high. So hold low.

30-06 Springfield .308 Winchester.30-30 Wincester
55 grain55 grain55 grain
Pointed Soft Point Pointed Soft Point Pointed Soft Point
4080 fps3400 fps

View attachment 471179
The infamous Remington Accelerator cartridge was introduced in 1977 in three different high-powered rifle cartridges: .30-30, .308 and .30-06. Remington seated a .22 caliber bullet inside a .30 caliber sabot, then seated the sabot in the mouth of the cartridge case. It was a great concept that didn't work particularly well. The intent was to give a hunter a high speed varmint gun without having to go to the expense of buying a dedicated varmint rifle. Essentially, a .30 caliber rifles that fired a .22 bullet up to 4000-foot per second. In other words a .308 Accelerator could boast ballistics comparable to the .22/.250 round.

How it was envisioned to work was as simple as the sea is salt. When fired, the sabot holding the .22 caliber bullet zipped down the barrel and dropped to the ground immediately after exiting the muzzle. Due to the sabot having engraved itself into the rifling, the .22 caliber projectile rotated downrange. In theory. In reality, the .22 caliber bullet wasn't stabilized and began to tumble after 50 or so yards. Some say the Accelerator was nothing less an abysmal failure. While others claim to have had no problem knocking off jack rabbits on a regular basis.

Another issue, Accelerator sabots, being plastic, left residue in the rifling lands and groove.The final nail in the coffin was histrionic anti-gun zealots who pronounced Accelerator Cartridges as "assassin" bullets. This for the simple reason they did not engrave rifling marks on the .22 caliber bullet, that would otherwise allow forensic experts to study their striae under a stereo microscope in order to trace a bullet to the rifle that fired it. Ultimately Remington yielded to government pressure and stopped making the Accelerators in calibers .308 and .30-06. The ill logic was that .308 and .30-06 could be chambered in "military" semi-auto and fully automatic rifles.

Production of vintage .30-30 Winchester, not considered to be as deadly, and less likely to be used in a violent crime, continued in production.

With all that in mind, and contrary to ignorant internet posts, know the truth, that Accelerator rounds are NOT illegal, Not in any state and not under Federal law. Accelerator cartridges remain available. Albeit supplies are drying up. The sabot (pronounced - sayboh) principle has also been applied to .30 calibre loads in .50 Browning rifles and M2 belt-fed machineguns. Moreover, reloaders can fashion loads using .30 cal sabots from EABCO, Know sabots tend to shoot high. So hold low.

30-06 Springfield.308 Winchester.30-30 Wincester
55 grain55 grain55 grain
Pointed Soft PointPointed Soft PointPointed Soft Point
4080 fps3400 fps

From my handloading these through the years, I found the old Rem Accel loads to be rather mild, as with some experimenting, I have been able to far exceed their stated vels.

I posted these to validate my earlier post on the idea of loading larger and heavier calibers in a similar way as the 30cal/.224 bullets. Bore expansion ratio allows for higher vels vs same weights at caliber.

Last edited: