If rebarrelling 7mmWSM would you go to 7-300wsm for brass ?

Usmcinfantry1988

So I have a model 70 left handed 7mmWSM I want to rebarrel with a faster twist rate ! I'm also Having lots of trouble with finding quality 7mmWSM brass. Thinking about when rechambering trying to go to 300WSM brass . Have any of you guys done this ? Which has better quality brass availability the 300 or 270 WSM ? Is it worth fooling with or should I just go back to 7mmWSM Sammi spec and keep hunting for brass ? Thanks guys !

All depends on what you quantify as quality brass. Get the cartridge you want. What's wrong with the brass you have? I'm simple and boring and would look for factory 7WSM brass. Worst case you can modify another case.

I have a couple Threads up from earlier in the week where I managed to get 4 bags of brand new Winchester 7mmWSM brass from 2 different lot numbers and all 4 bags have insane deformities on at least 15 out of 50 pieces per bag I'll post a pic here just so u can see why I'm searching for other options, Winchester has been contacted and are not willing to replace the brass well correction they said they can't replace the brass but will send me a check to reimburse me. This being said I was just thinking when I rebarrel I might look into using a little different case if I can get some different brands of brass easier.
751AD485-B34E-4726-A229-B67E4FD7036F.jpeg
F481CD2D-4020-41E1-A67D-AD57FDDBDBA5.jpeg

Going 270/7WSM is not a bad idea, but your biggest issue is still gonna be brass availability. Have you seen brass anywhere of late in any WSM case?
When I built my 270 Bee, I sourced 300 pieces of Norma brass and 5 boxes of factory 150g Weatherby ammo to run in the barrel. This cost me an absolute butt load of money, but I don't have to hunt for brass for the life of the barrels, I have 2 now.
You could make your brass from either of the other 2, but you will need to ream/turn your necks after forming in the FL die.
I make several cartridges from other brass, you have to love doing it or you will hate all the steps. I find hydroforming to be an absolute PITA and I cannot handle the mess it makes on my bench….but it is what it is, right?!

Cheers.

Also I did try shooting these out to see if maybe the dents would come out but most of them are so bad I see no noticeable difference after shooting and honestly I closed my eyes when shooting them lol afraid a dent that large would affect the integrity of the brass !

Going 270/7WSM is not a bad idea, but your biggest issue is still gonna be brass availability. Have you seen brass anywhere of late in any WSM case?
When I built my 270 Bee, I sourced 300 pieces of Norma brass and 5 boxes of factory 150g Weatherby ammo to run in the barrel. This cost me an absolute butt load of money, but I don't have to hunt for brass for the life of the barrels, I have 2 now.
You could make your brass from either of the other 2, but you will need to ream/turn your necks after forming in the FL die.
I make several cartridges from other brass, you have to love doing it or you will hate all the steps. I find hydroforming to be an absolute PITA and I cannot handle the mess it makes on my bench….but it is what it is, right?!

Cheers.
I'm interested in making the brass to fit my 7mmWSM but yeah your right you can't really find any WSM cases right now !

I absolutely hate the idea of abandoning the 7wsm, I love this cartridge so I'm determined to make it work , if that means making brass from what I can find then that's what I will do and I'm sure I will enjoy doing it . would necking up or down be better ?or would it really just depend on what I can get !

I buy bulk brass so that I can cull the brass just like yours.
It happens with just about every manufacturer…even Lapua has had defects for me.
I no longer buy Winchester brass, my last batches in both 300WM & 338WM had a 10% cull rate and I think that is unacceptable. Sure it was cheap, half the price of Remington, but out of 52 in bag of Remington, I may get 1 piece that is unusable in 5 bags.

Cheers.

I buy bulk brass so that I can cull the brass just like yours.
It happens with just about every manufacturer…even Lapua has had defects for me.
I no longer buy Winchester brass, my last batches in both 300WM & 338WM had a 10% cull rate and I think that is unacceptable. Sure it was cheap, half the price of Remington, but out of 52 in bag of Remington, I may get 1 piece that is unusable in 5 bags.

Cheers.
I probably set my expectations too high lol, I do that a lot especially when paying outrageous prices for products that are hard to get then you get em and can't use em because of **** poor quality. Oh well it's life I guess ha ha ! I tell what has caught my eye though and it seems like I can get brass for pretty simply (expensive). The 7mm Sherman max , anybody got experience with this ? Would it fit in my WSM action?

I think you got a bit of bad luck. My Winchester 7wsm brass is really good. My Hornady is ok.

I love the wsm I wouldn't give up on it yet. Some supply is starting to hit the market in greater numbers last 60 days, maybe be a tad patient and snag up some other Winchester and other when it comes available. FWIW I bought many 7wsm bags in last 12 months…it hasn't been OOS for that long.

I think you got a bit of bad luck. My Winchester 7wsm brass is really good. My Hornady is ok.

I love the wsm I wouldn't give up on it yet. Some supply is starting to hit the market in greater numbers last 60 days, maybe be a tad patient and snag up some other Winchester and other when it comes available. FWIW I bought many 7wsm bags in last 12 months…it hasn't been OOS for that long.
well this makes me Feel better , I thought surely I couldn't have that bad of luck to have two different lot numbers the same way ! Then the way Winchester made it sound was kinda dooming when they said they don't have any brass to replace mine with that they could only refund me. I'll keep my eyes peeled for some fresh bags coming out , both of these lots are from around 2013 if I recall correctly .

well this makes me Feel better , I thought surely I couldn't have that bad of luck to have two different lot numbers the same way ! Then the way Winchester made it sound was kinda dooming when they said they don't have any brass to replace mine with that they could only refund me. I'll keep my eyes peeled for some fresh bags coming out , both of these lots are from around 2013 if I recall correctly .
Snag some Hornady if you see some. I don't think it holds primer pockets as good as the Winchester but for my hunting purposes it's just fine. Can always load a tad softer and mitigate (that's no fun though).