Who would you have rebarrel your gun ?

junkie

I have a Win M70 in 300 wm it is a featherweight model. I need it re-barreled the lands and grooves are gone.
Anyway I simply want the same caliber and the profile can be the same or slightly larger. This is my primary hunting rifle so I would need it before next August or September.
I am looking for an inexpensive and quick barrel/smith combo. I looked around and found McGowen up in Montana and they are about 4hrs from me and thought I would use them.
I have yet to get myself in a situation where I have shot past 550yds so I am not looking to shoot much past that range while hunting.
Who would you recommend to re-barrel your gun?

I highly recommend Adam Bentley, owner of The Dresden Gun Company. He's half way across the states from you in Ohio, but his work is worth it. I don't trust many guys to do gun work for me but he has my business. He hasn't gotten super popular yet, but I'd put his work up against anyone's. The way he sets up and indicates his barrels before threading and chambering and the quality he puts out is the best.

IMG_1136.jpg
I just had my 300 win mag barrel replaced for the same reason but I went with 7mm this time I also blueprinted the action and cercoated (sp) it I went with 26" fluted Lilja barrel and I love it and it shoots to (3 shot group 100 yds) 154 interbonds the only problem is the time frame it took me 10 month to get he also builds and shoots for team Hornady so he's on the road alot

Last edited:
I have a Win M70 in 300 wm it is a featherweight model. I need it re-barreled the lands and grooves are gone.
Anyway I simply want the same caliber and the profile can be the same or slightly larger. This is my primary hunting rifle so I would need it before next August or September.
I am looking for an inexpensive and quick barrel/smith combo. I looked around and found McGowen up in Montana and they are about 4hrs from me and thought I would use them.
I have yet to get myself in a situation where I have shot past 550yds so I am not looking to shoot much past that range while hunting.
Greg at southern precision rifles

I've used a local guy in WV, GA Precision, APA/PAI, Crescent Custom, PVA, Short Action Custom. The only ones I don't intend to use again are the local guy, and SAC. A lot of folks really like SAC's work, I asked for a 6x223 throated for 105 Bergers. They called me and asked if I was really sure that I wanted that bullet after they had cut the chamber and said they were going to have to recut it and the barrel would be a bit shorter than I wanted. Then I couldn't get the thing to shoot. The barrel I supplied was a Bergara that I had gotten from a match prize table. I don't know if it was an issue with the chamber or the barrel. The WV 'smith did my first 308. It used a Hart barrel. I couldn't get it to shoot very well either. All my barrels now are cut rifle.

Jeff Hayes at Rivers Bend Gun Company will get my business from now on. He's built a rifle for everyone in our shooting group ranging from a blueprinted Remmy 223 to a Badger Ordnance Action 338 Lapua Ackley, and they are all hammers. He built a 300 win mag for me last year that shot .39in group at 100yards without doing any load development. He has a very fast turnaround time and treats every customer like a friend and each rifle as if it's his own. I've spent some time in his shop and watching him work it's clear to see he knows what he's doing. He's a true craftsman. Give him a call and see for yourself. 816-386-4021.

Contact Matt Bettersworth at Hill Country [email protected] or (830) 609-3139. Hill Country Rifle has rebarreled 3 of my rifles with good results.