If rebarrelling 7mmWSM would you go to 7-300wsm for brass ?

I absolutely hate the idea of abandoning the 7wsm, I love this cartridge so I'm determined to make it work , if that means making brass from what I can find then that's what I will do and I'm sure I will enjoy doing it . would necking up or down be better ?or would it really just depend on what I can get !
necking up results in a cleaner finished product. necking down leaves the dreaded donut ring in the neck, making for additional work to clean up. WRONG, SEE CORRECTION BELOW... :mad:

Last edited:
necking up results in a cleaner finished product. necking down leaves the dreaded donut ring in the neck, making for additional work to clean up.
I thought donuts are caused by altering a case in a way that shoulder junction material ends up in the base of the neck.

Does this happen when you neck down a 300WSM case? Or is my basic premise incorrect?

I thought donuts are caused by altering a case in a way that shoulder junction material ends up in the base of the neck.

Does this happen when you neck down a 300WSM case? Or is my basic premise incorrect?
First sentence: correct...
Second sentence: no it doesn't. you are correct again. I got it all backwards! Opening up the neck creates the donut, which then needs to be hit with a mandrel and then turned off the outside of the case. MY BAD!! (must think before opening mouth) :rolleyes:

I love my 7mm/300WSM! I have built several with my reamer, for friends and family, and have two myself. I started out with Norma 300WSM brass, sized down to 7mm, used the mandrels with my neck turning set to push any inconsistencies to the O.D., and turned the necks to uniform.
I experienced superb results right away with Bergers and several powders.
I only turned my necks to .015" thick, fell prey to the inexperienced mentally of "some is good, more must be better"… but to thick of necks made it to hard to get proper neck tension, so I later re-turned them all down to .013 like factory.
I have 4-5 firings on several batches of brass, zero problems with any doughnuts.

So I have a model 70 left handed 7mmWSM I want to rebarrel with a faster twist rate ! I'm also Having lots of trouble with finding quality 7mmWSM brass. Thinking about when rechambering trying to go to 300WSM brass . Have any of you guys done this ? Which has better quality brass availability the 300 or 270 WSM ? Is it worth fooling with or should I just go back to 7mmWSM Sammi spec and keep hunting for brass ? Thanks guys !
One option on the 7MM WSM brass, Is to buy a hydro forming die from Hornedy. With it you can take a 300 WSM brass, fill it with water, put it in the forming die, hit it with a hammer and it will move the shoulder forward. You can then run it through your 7MM WSM die, turn the necks, size once more and load. I bought one when I decided to build a 7WSM. I was worried about getting brass as well, but then I found a bunch and and haven't had to use the hydro forming die yet.

One option on the 7MM WSM brass, Is to buy a hydro forming die from Hornedy. With it you can take a 300 WSM brass, fill it with water, put it in the forming die, hit it with a hammer and it will move the shoulder forward. You can then run it through your 7MM WSM die, turn the necks, size once more and load. I bought one when I decided to build a 7WSM. I was worried about getting brass as well, but then I found a bunch and and haven't had to use the hydro forming die yet.

Best thing about this forum. I hear about sheet I'd never even have thought about looking for. 🤪

I'm going to look into this hydro die sorcery you speak of 🧙🏻

Looks like whidden gun works makes one I have emailed him to ask him if he will make me a hydro form die for 7mmWSM if he will it will be awesome . Also I dunnno if you guys have ever used these but Peterson brass makes brass tubes for wildcatters . I'm thinking if they make the right size straight tube I could form all the brass anybody could ever want with a hydro form die .

My brother and his oldest son are both shooting and hunting with the 7mm/270WSM load with 140's, and love it. Both built their rifles this past year, and got 500 270WSM cases to build from. Both guns shoot under .4 MOA!

My brother and his oldest son are both shooting and hunting with the 7mm/270WSM load with 140's, and love it. Both built their rifles this past year, and got 500 270WSM cases to build from. Both guns shoot under .4 MOA!

I 'd be interested to know if there was a reason that you went with 7-270WSM rather than 7-300WSM?

And ... is there actually any difference between the two once they are reformed?