If rebarrelling 7mmWSM would you go to 7-300wsm for brass ?

The head space, shoulder angle, and length of the cases are all the same. The difference is when you neck down the 300 WSM you may have to turn the necks while the necking up the 270 it will be less likely. The reason for the possible neck turning is, when you neck down the 300 WSM, the neck is made slightly thicker as the brass has to flow somewhere. It may or may not be an issue with some rifles pending on the neck diameter of the chamber reamer used or the neck wall thickness original 300 WSM.

My question is why go with the wildcat when the 7WSM Is available as a standard cartridge. Is it because it seems more accurate as it's closer to the SAUM versions, or is it just case availability?

Last edited:
I resize all my 7WSM from 300WSM. Never been a problem for me.
It's probably not an issue if you have a standard chamber as this step down is not that much. I lent my 243 out to my brother-in-law while I was overseas for a couple years, and he used to resize 308 down to 243, cusing the necks to be too tight without turning.

The head space, shoulder angle, and length of the cases are all the same. The difference is when you neck down the 300 WSM you may have to turn the necks while the necking up the 270 it will be less likely. The reason for the possible neck turning is, when you neck down the 300 WSM, the neck is made slightly thicker as the brass has to flow somewhere. It may or may not be an issue with some rifles pending on the neck diameter of the chamber reamer used or the neck wall thickness original 300 WSM.

My question is why go with the wildcat when the 7WSM Is available as a standard cartridge. Is it because it seems more accurate as it's closer to the SAUM versions, or is it just case availability?
The unavailability of QUALITY cases is the issue. I own and regularly shoot a 7WSM. I use prepped Win cases and have had good luck overall. However, I won't rebarrel or rechamber again for a cartridge that doesn't have high end brass available.

I have partially neck sized 300WSM cases and then blown them out to 7WSM but it is much more of a PITA than it's worth and it wastes bore life on expensive barrels.

It's 100 percent a brass availability issue for me that's the only reason I brought this up honestly , it has been brought to my attention that Hornady makes 7 brass as well and I have alerts set for all of that so hopefully sometime in the near future they will do a run of it and I can get some , also my issue with the Winchester brass is obviously just a freak thing and of course my bad luck lol because lots of folks here have said they had good luck with the Winchester brass !

The unavailability of QUALITY cases is the issue. I own and regularly shoot a 7WSM. I use prepped Win cases and have had good luck overall. However, I won't rebarrel or rechamber again for a cartridge that doesn't have high end brass available.

I have partially neck sized 300WSM cases and then blown them out to 7WSM but it is much more of a PITA than it's worth and it wastes bore life on expensive barrels.
This wasting expensive barrel life is why I'm looking to order the Hydro to form die , seems that would eliminate a step in this process !

This wasting expensive barrel life is why I'm looking to order the Hydro to form die , seems that would eliminate a step in this process !
A 7SAUM would really solve all the issues but would result in a small reduction in velocity. My 7WSM replaced a custom 7STW that I really loved but realized that I didn't need all that velocity. I adjusted quickly to the reduced velocity of the 7WSM and haven't regretted it.

I'm not certain what I'll do when my current Bartlein barrel is toast. I was thinking that 7-300WSM was the direction but maybe a 7SAUM would be a more practical idea without any real reduction in performance.

So far so good with Hornady 7WSM brass as I mentioned before. I secured 300 pieces of Hornady brass and all of it upon inspection was excellent quality. I then prepped 200 cases and annealed all of them as well. Only time will tell how they hold up but so far so good! I'm going to send the OP 50 of them on a LRH hand shake that he will replace them at some point.

So far so good with Hornady 7WSM brass as I mentioned before. I secured 300 pieces of Hornady brass and all of it upon inspection was excellent quality. I then prepped 200 cases and annealed all of them as well. Only time will tell how they hold up but so far so good! I'm going to send the OP 50 of them on a LRH hand shake that he will replace them at some point.
You're a good man Charlie Brown.

My word is my bond brother , you will definitely get them back and you have no idea how much I appreciate it ! I got notifications at so many online shops surely it won't be too long before some pops up , fingers crossed 🤞… side note have u guys tried Bertram brass ? Seems like that have a pre order for 7'mwsm ?

@Usmcinfantry1988

By your username I assume you served in our military? I've used 7WSM hornady and winchester brass as well as Bertram. Both hornady and winchester have excellent results for hunting I actually use both interchangeably. Bertram brass I gave it away, no comment. For the brass I do use I run near max and they're on 4-5 firings so far with tight pockets.

@Usmcinfantry1988

By your username I assume you served in our military? I've used 7WSM hornady and winchester brass as well as Bertram. Both hornady and winchester have excellent results for hunting I actually use both interchangeably. Bertram brass I gave it away, no comment. For the brass I do use I run near max and they're on 4-5 firings so far with tight pockets.
Yes sir spent some time in the usmc, that's what sent me to this part of the country camp lejune and I just never left ha ha !