If I had to focus on one rifle...

If it's only one cartridge, I would want it to be as versatile as possible. That would mean the heaviest game I might hunt down to smallest. So I would start with the biggest game I hunt and find the lightest adequate cartridge for that game.

For me that would be:

25-06 AI or similar with 131gr bullets for game up to deer. This would be great for targets down to varmints too.

264 Win Mag or similar with 150 or 156gr for game up to elk. This would still work for lighter work too and be comfortable to shoot often.

300 Win Mag + with 200gr+ bullets if big bears or moose were a consideration.
That's THREE.. LMAO

It would have to be .308 for me. If i only had the choice of one gun then there are other serious problems going on. I could always get spent brass from military activity or use "acquired" ammo. I can also load a really heavy bullet for large game at short distances. Those old 220 grain round nose are very effective and i have a lot of confidence in them. Light loads with a plinker bullet would suffice for small game. And it uses a moderate amount of powder and a variety of powders work well.

"If" you're a handloader and like versatility, a large case-capacity, .358-cal. is a great option.
I am a handloader. I reload everything I shoot-- even .223Remington. I don't reload for any handgun because I can't hit a boxcar at fifty feet with one. I live just a few miles from thousands of open BLM acres in the desert. I'm not going to waste all that open land on shootin' a handgun. I respect that some men like handguns; that's just fine with me. But I like the long-range challenge. My goal is to hit a 10" gong at 1000 yards. That's just one MOA; should be doable. I built a .300-caliber mildcat target rifle that will hurl a bullet 1500 yards; should be able to hit that gong with such powerful medicine...

Interesting to see people's choices. I hunt varmints and coyotes way more than big game, at least when you look at total time and effort invested. I get out and chase deer and elk every year, but throw way more lead at the coyotes and varmints.

"If" you're a handloader and like versatility, a large case capacity, .358 cal. is a great option. Obviously, as a handloader you can load it to any power level....from "squibb loads to "fire-breather"! As a plus, as a .358 dia., a vast array of handgun bullets are available for lighter, less expensive loads.....including cast bullets. Also, there is a better selection of bullets designed for big game, than was available just a few years ago!

Well since the subject has come up, and not trying to hi-jack the subject matter here, the .35's is a very capable caliber, my experience with it has been through cartridges like the .358 Win a wonderful cartridge, the .35 Whelen, and bone-crushing .358 Norma Mag a stone-cold game killer for sure. I've shot all three, however'..., never owning one, my mistake over my hunting lifetime.

TX Badger, I kinda like your reasoning simply because it reflects some of mine. Maybe that's why I have 4 25 caliber guns and 3 264 caliber guns in my safe and only one 30 caliber. I guess I don't expect to be shooting that many grizzlies.
A agree. I would consider a 6.5x284 or even the new 6.5 PRC. You can take anything from coyotes to moose with either of those. I also saw a recent video of a guy dropping a grizzly with one shot with a 6.5 PRC. Minimal recoil, and enough energy to get the job done with the right bullet even out to extended range.

A .300 Win Mag of moderate weight.

For a do all rifle, that's easy to find components for and not a PITA to load for I'd go with a .300 win mag.

300 win for me

.300 min mag you have a wide selection of bullets for reloading if god forbid you are in need of ammo while on a hunting trip .300 mag ammo is easy to find out west

I would have to say a 300 win.

300winmag for me, does it all well

At the risk of sounding like I'm following a crowd...I have to agree with all of the above - it's the .300 Win Mag for me. (But mine would be in a Ruger M77 with tang safety).

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.