If I had to focus on one rifle...

Gibbshooter43

God forbid that this should ever happen, but I've been wondering... like so many of you, I've been fortunate enough to accumulate a broad spectrum of rifles (and I hope I'm not thru yet). But if I had to really focus in on just one to put all my effort into - time, money, load development, shooting time, research - which rifle, or which caliber would it be?

Whichever one suits the widest array of your needs while being the least of a PITA.

For me, it'd be a choice of which receiver rather than what chambering. I'd probably lean toward a .473" bolt face long action which would take about 90% of the totality of chamberings that I shoot or ever might want to shoot. If I were hunting in the USA (I don't anymore because Africa costs less and is more fun than just taking my gun for a walk) I might add a magnum bolt to the package to give me more flexibility.

Last edited:
My 450Marlin.
It kills everything it needs to kill and with broad wounding without too much wasted meat. It's no good varmint cartridge. I might go for a 308.

God forbid that this should ever happen, but I've been wondering... like so many of you, I've been fortunate enough to accumulate a broad spectrum of rifles (and I hope I'm not thru yet). But if I had to really focus in on just one to put all my effort into - time, money, load development, shooting time, research - which rifle, or which caliber would it be?

We have a pretty good selection of firearms, but use only one for "all" of our big game hunting. So, if hunting is the prerequisite.....this!
Pretty hard to beat a .338 WM, for a "do it all" cartridge! It's worked real well for my wife since 1996. Though, I simply can't bring myself into going with a smaller caliber cartridge! :D memtb

A .300 Win Mag of moderate weight.

This. If one must do it all, the is the best mousetrap I have found. Will do anything up close and reach out quite far, across a wide range of species. My factory 300WM Sendero is nearing the end of its barrel life, I plan to rebuild it as a moderate weight packing "do-it-all" rifle.

I have a soft spot for .358 rifles, but as "do it all" they lack the range.

If it's only one cartridge, I would want it to be as versatile as possible. That would mean the heaviest game I might hunt down to smallest. So I would start with the biggest game I hunt and find the lightest adequate cartridge for that game.

For me that would be:

25-06 AI or similar with 131gr bullets for game up to deer. This would be great for targets down to varmints too.

264 Win Mag or similar with 150 or 156gr for game up to elk. This would still work for lighter work too and be comfortable to shoot often.

300 Win Mag + with 200gr+ bullets if big bears or moose were a consideration.

.300 RUM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.