If I had to focus on one rifle...

God forbid that this should ever happen, but I've been wondering... like so many of you, I've been fortunate enough to accumulate a broad spectrum of rifles (and I hope I'm not thru yet). But if I had to really focus in on just one to put all my effort into - time, money, load development, shooting time, research - which rifle, or which caliber would it be?

a 6.5 of some flavor. I think it is a great all around caliber for everything from varmints to elk. My son has a CM and I have a PRC. If I could only keep one rifle it would be my PRC.

Approaching 60 years old and spending almost a lifetime with a myriad of rifles/cartridges, I did what you are suggesting about 10 years ago. Much thought and consideration was given between choosing the 6.5x284 and 300WM. IMO, the decision weighs heavily on the type of hunting is anticipated looking forward. In my case, I spent my prior years hunting a wide range of game from squirrels to Cape Buffalo. Looking forward, my interest was to pursue LR hunting, primarily for medium sized game, Whitetails(my favorite), Mule Deer, Antelope....Possibly, an Elk or Moose. The rifle would be used more then the "conventional" hunting rifle for LR shooting skill development. Weight, shoot-ability, and recoil management would be factors. Given medium game would be my predominant use, I ended up choosing the 6.5. Since then, and a few dozen medium game animals effectively taken from 500-1100 yards, I think the choice was a good one. If larger game (ie Elk) at long range was anticipated to be bulk of my quarry I would have chosen the 300WM.

.300 min mag you have a wide selection of bullets for reloading if god forbid you are in need of ammo while on a hunting trip .300 mag ammo is easy to find out west

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts