If you had a choice ?

Hit-em

I'm going to have a new rifle built. I'm having a real mental excerise in regards to which caliber to go with.

I've already had this gunmaker turn me out a beautiful rifle in a 30/06. I figured I couldn't go wrong with this classic.
I know it will do everything I'm looking for in a rifle, but figured I need another rifle a little more specialized.
wink.gif

The main purpose of this rifle will be for Whitetail,Mule Deer & Antelope with the ability to reach out & touch.

I know most calibers will do the job. What I'm looking for is a caliber that is very effiecent,fairly low recoil,shoots a high coefficient bullet & is flat shooting.

My choices have come down to the following.

6.5 X 284
7 Rem Mag.

Looking for some opinions on my choices & other recommendations.

Thanks

Hit em

Would opt for factory caliber.

7 RM will do it, I like the or 270 or 7 WSM. Flat, low recoil accurate and factory ammo available if you need it

Go with 1-9 twist 24-28" match grade barrel for the 7mm.

BH

[ 10-25-2004: Message edited by: BountyHunter ]

Although I am partial to my 7STW; based on your stated criteria I'd take a close look at the 7WSM.

I would not build a rifle for any cartridge if premium brass was not available. I believe that you can get Lapua 270WSM brass which could be necked up for the 7WSM.

Just my 2 cents

I didn't get drawn for an antelope this year and didn't see a good enought set of horns(muley) worth taking so will have to wait another year to use the 6.5x284. Nothing against the 7mm mag (I own one). I think you will be happy with the 6.5x284 just need to figure out what bullet and twist to handle it.

Given your criteria and your two cartridge selections, I would go with the 7mm Remington. I have both cartridges, like them both. The 6.5 is a varmint/bench rifle(In my configuration, it is a true hunting cartridge as well), the 7 is a flat out hunting rifle. I've taken the 7 through rough brush and over many miles, it has never let me down. In any given barrel length over 24", the mag will have the edge in velocity and energy. It will also be able to sling heavier bullets. I agree with BH, nothing wrong with being able to go to local hunting store to pick up a box of ammo either. Recoil, depending on the weight/stock of the gun will be on par with the 06. If I had a 7RM built, I would definately go with a 26" barrel. The 24 incher I have now is nice, and light, but velocity gains with the longer tube are appreciable. Oh, and for accuracy, I've gotten my 7 (Which is a Ruger M77) to shoot a 1/2 MOA at 100.

[ 10-25-2004: Message edited by: 7ultra ]

I appreciate the input so far.
I know I'm splitting hairs in looking for a caliber that is IMO the ultimate long range caliber for mid-sized game.

I know I could just stick with the 30/06 but what kind of fun would that be
grin.gif

Again, the whole purpose of this rifle is that it be specialized for mid sized game at possible long ranges.

That it be able to shoot a 140-160 grn with upmost efficientcy & be reasonably flat shooting.

Any other calibers to consider ??

Thanks again for your input.

Varmint hunter,
I have not heard Lapua brass is available in the WSM lineup. I would like some for my 270 WSM if I found a source.

I believe it is available in 6.5/284,& 300 win mag. but not 7 RM

Hit-em,

The .280 Ackley may fit your criteria, it practically matches velocity with the 7 RM with a bit less recoil and powder.

You can get 30-06 Lapua or National match brass and neck down.

I don't think you scratched out wildcats, the factory rounds have merit, but that the 280 Ackley is what came to mind when I first read your post.

7wsm gets my vote.

High BC heavy bullets. Retained energy. Efficent cartridge. Low recoil. Can go with shorter barrel. Factory ammo readily available. Have heard win brass is just fine. Flat shooting. Short action or build off long mag action if you want the extra powder capacity by seating out bullets.

Talk to chris matthews. He is first class all the way!

Bullets maybe lite for what you want but think about a 25-06 some of the 120`s are real impresive on the computer

I think I've settled on the cartridge (for Now ???)
grin.gif

Drum Roll...........

The winner is !!!!!!!

The 7 Rem Mag !

When I compare it to some of the other choices,it's just the best suited for what I'm looking for in regards to efficientcy & overall rate of return.
I did think about the 7 STW, but thought my gain over the 7mm Rem Mag was not worth the additional powder charge & recoil.

I want to thank everyone for their replys, if anyone has any other thoughts or suggestion I would appreciate them.

Thanks,

GOOD CHOICE ON THE 7MM MAG
HERE IS WHAT I FOUND BEST IN MY SAVAGE 110
68.0 GRAINS RELOADER 22
140 GRAIN BALLISTIC TIP MOLY COATED
THREE SHOTS@100 YDS.----.181 GROUP
AND THIS WAS A $235.00 DOLLAR RIFLE BOUGHT AT GUN SHOW
IF YOU WANT PICTURE OF THE TARGET EMAIL ME
[email protected]

only reason I have a 300 win and not a 7mm rem is that I already had a 270 and wanted a significant difference in horsepower which I didn't really see enough of in the 7 to warrant a new rifle being chambered as such. But having shot both, I think you're absolutely right to avoid the .30 cal magnums. They do indeed recoil noticeably harder than the 7s and for deer and antelope the 7 is a more fitting niche