If I had to focus on one rifle...

Compact, accurate, fairly flat, hits hard, good for anything in the world and recoil is not bad. You can find ammunition most places in the world. 375 Ruger in a Hawkeye Alaskan. Racoons to blue wildebeest with a lot of pigs in between! Or the 30-06.
The 375 Weatherby magnum shoots 375 H &H amnunation.

I haven't done it yet but have always thought about doing it over the last 10 years & that is to turn one of my favourite rifles into a multi cartridge/calibre rifle by having a smith turning it into a switch barrel rifle preferably in the same bolt face & probably a Tikka as they are all the same action length.

Shoot varmints in the morning & larger game the arvo ;)

I know their are switch barrels out there but just want to make one of my own.

Thinking .22-250 & .270.

Not a bad combo right?
Double Post.

308 Winchester. Reason is very long barrel life, versatility, you can buy cheap over the counter ammunition to practice things such as positional shooting, moving targets etc. without breaking the bank. Get good with a 308, and there's nothing you can't do with it. It's not the most exciting, but it's the practicaliest.

Grouse? They must have been just a stain on the road

The trick is to either shoot their heads off, or shoot the ground in front of them under the right conditions. That kicks up rocks which will stun them so you can go up and snap their necks. No meat lost!

Right now it would be my BAR 30-06. I'm having a custom 300 win built to take its place as my #1.... maybe. No rifle yet has dethroned it.
JMCMATH, I am in complete agreement with your choice. My number 1 hunting rifle has always been my BAR 30-06 for everything from whitetails to moose and bear. Absolute reliability from an autoloader and accuracy in the field second to none. Shoots anything you feed it to almost the same point of impact out to 400 yd.(because I don't shoot farther than that) Mine is an original FN BELGIAN- Made from1974 and is still like new. I consider the hand-finished craftsmanship on a par with rifles many thousands of dollars more. French walnut stocks and high quality open sights original factory included. I think one of the most undervalued, thus best buys on the used firearms market.....BUD

JMCMATH, I am in complete agreement with your choice. My number 1 hunting rifle has always been my BAR 30-06 for everything from whitetails to moose and bear. Absolute reliability from an autoloader and accuracy in the field second to none. Shoots anything you feed it to almost the same point of impact out to 400 yd.(because I don't shoot farther than that) Mine is an original FN BELGIAN- Made from1974 and is still like new. I consider the hand-finished craftsmanship on a par with rifles many thousands of dollars more. French walnut stocks and high quality open sights original factory included. I think one of the most undervalued, thus best buys on the used firearms market.....BUD

But the triggers, have you guys found a way to improve them?

TX BADGER, I know what you mean re the triggers. Although I find mine acceptable for a good hunting gun, it definitely could be improved upon and I am sure would help in DISTANCE accuracy. I don't know if anyone in the business has found any way to improve this one drawback. I did a search of all trigger makers just last month but could not find any available. Wonder if any of the smiths have been able to come up with anything? Maybe J E CUSTOM would have run across something in his couple of weeks in the smithing business. (KIDDING)

TX BADGER, I know what you mean re the triggers. Although I find mine acceptable for a good hunting gun, it definitely could be improved upon and I am sure would help in DISTANCE accuracy. I don't know if anyone in the business has found any way to improve this one drawback. I did a search of all trigger makers just last month but could not find any available. Wonder if any of the smiths have been able to come up with anything? Maybe J E CUSTOM would have run across something in his couple of weeks in the smithing business. (KIDDING)

You can buff them and smooth them out some, timney used to do it if you sent it in. Arts will do a minor buff job for you i think but that's really it. By design that is all you can really do IIRC, get frisky with it and it will get western.

Best trigger job i've found for a BAR is to line 10 of them up and buy the best one...

My best one is plenty light but has the break of a pudding pack, as is life

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.