If I had to focus on one rifle...

My one rifle choice would be my .416 Ruger Alaskan.

I've shot a ragged one hole group with 240 grain GS-Custom monolithics at 2800 fps.

Accuracy with 400 grain solids and softs over iron sights is as good as you can aim.

Shoots 420 grain powder coated cast bullets well to 2200 fps.

The action is smooth, feeding is immaculate. Synthetic stock soaks up the recoil.

I built a 7.5tw 6.5/06ai recently. I'm driving the 147 and 150's at 3120ish. Barrel has 50 rounds on it. I will try the 156 bergers also. I like everything about it but for a one gun scenario I'd go with my 270. Not because it does anything better than the 6.5 performance wise just availability. I don't live in the west so Elk isn't a focus. If it were a 300 of some flavor.

Probably a 30.06, maybe Ackley improved.
I went that route 1994. I took a Winchester MDL.70 push-feed system reamed-out to 30-06 improved pushing a 180 grains bullet from a 24" barrel 2950 FPS powder IMR 4350 Nosler Partition. Fire-forming is what is required...fire-forming cases RP but Winchester cases gave me the best groups 3/4 shots group sizes .142-.795 from 100 yards. Fire-forming I would use 110 grains bullet slow burning powder.

My one rifle choice would be my .416 Ruger Alaskan.

I've shot a ragged one hole group with 240 grain GS-Custom monolithics at 2800 fps.

Accuracy with 400 grain solids and softs over iron sights is as good as you can aim.

Shoots 420 grain powder coated cast bullets well to 2200 fps.

The action is smooth, feeding is immaculate. Synthetic stock soaks up the recoil.

Excellent choice! My go to gun is a Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in 375 Ruger and it's the only gun I own that I'd never sell. Shoots well out to 600 yards with very manageable recoil in a compact package. I've used it on everything from grouse to elk.

I would have expected more love for the 338s. I've always felt the mid sized 338 like the Win Mag and Dakota were some of the most versatile chamberings out there.

Excellent choice! My go to gun is a Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in 375 Ruger and it's the only gun I own that I'd never sell. Shoots well out to 600 yards with very manageable recoil in a compact package. I've used it on everything from grouse to elk.

I have the Ruger Guide Gun in .375 Ruger and I love it! It's a TANK! A great do-it-all rifle that is as dependable as it gets, especially when there might be dangerous game around.

I would have expected more love for the 338s. I've always felt the mid sized 338 like the Win Mag and Dakota were some of the most versatile chamberings out there.
Grouse? They must have been just a stain on the road

God forbid that this should ever happen, but I've been wondering... like so many of you, I've been fortunate enough to accumulate a broad spectrum of rifles (and I hope I'm not thru yet). But if I had to really focus in on just one to put all my effort into - time, money, load development, shooting time, research - which rifle, or which caliber would it be?

My first thought is to keep it simple so I picked the .375 H&H between its 235gr bullets to 350gr plus bullets it pretty hard to beat as an all-around take anything cartridge.
However, if I wanted to push the range out and keep as much [FPE] as I could, I think I might select the .358 Norma Mag a spectacular cartridge for carrying [FPE] a little farther downrange. I think if the manufacturers would make a few "really" high BC heavyweight bullets for this type of cartridge in .35 cal it might take off again. This choice I made was only focused on game hunting, not sport shooting or self-defense that's another pick for me, it would be the ubiquitous 7.62x51 NATO. yes, over the 5.56 NATO in an AR or M1A... I'm good to go there... I have an M1A that can be configured to do pretty much everything I need.
Resized_20190831_085106.jpeg
Resized_20190831_085259 (1).jpeg
:) just my 0.02

Compact, accurate, fairly flat, hits hard, good for anything in the world and recoil is not bad. You can find ammunition most places in the world. 375 Ruger in a Hawkeye Alaskan. Racoons to blue wildebeest with a lot of pigs in between! Or the 30-06.

I haven't done it yet but have always thought about doing it over the last 10 years & that is to turn one of my favourite rifles into a multi cartridge/calibre rifle by having a smith turning it into a switch barrel rifle preferably in the same bolt face & probably a Tikka as they are all the same action length.

Shoot varmints in the morning & larger game the arvo ;)

I know their are switch barrels out there but just want to make one of my own.

Thinking .22-250 & .270.

Not a bad combo right?

Not a bad combo, however with a 22-250 & a .260 AI you'd have the same parent case & could do it all on a short action.

https://westtexordnance.com/switchlug/

The rifle in the attached picture started life as a 700LH VSF in 22-250.

Attachments

• 5A5696A9-712C-4FA6-978A-AB4E15ED7620.jpeg
    5A5696A9-712C-4FA6-978A-AB4E15ED7620.jpeg
    309.7 KB · Views: 131
I built a 7.5tw 6.5/06ai recently. I'm driving the 147 and 150's at 3120ish. Barrel has 50 rounds on it. I will try the 156 bergers also. I like everything about it but for a one gun scenario I'd go with my 270. Not because it does anything better than the 6.5 performance wise just availability. I don't live in the west so Elk isn't a focus. If it were a 300 of some flavor.
Many believe the 270 will bounce off elk in the west. I think within 300 yards 270 would be somewhat acceptable if the wind is at your back while taking your shot. LoL

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.