I Struck Oil! Hammer Bullets

I used to have this break open pellet rifle that if you put a drop of 3 in 1 in the back of the pellet it would diesel off. Sounded like a 22 mag going off. I wonder if you can get a little more speed in a rifle using this technique? Hmmm. Time to break out my lab coat and goggles.
Weird. But cool. Was this a plain old "sub-500 fps" pellet gun like what we had as kids or one of those fancy newer types that get up into .22lr velocity ranges?

Just wondering if oil under compression could be a contributing factor in hammer success?
I don't know about it affecting their expansion but in theory it makes sense that it would certainly prevent the nose from collapsing in on the cavity rather than opening up as designed. Fluids aren't compressible, if the hollow point is full of oil it should only be able to expand, never cave in, if that makes sense.

Do you mean like this one
Learn something new all the time. One thing I did not know was that the hollow points on (well on my Hammer Hunters anyway) are filled with oil. I was curious to see how far down the hollow point went into the bullet, so I stuck a straightened paper clip in the hole and oil oozed out! Hmmmm, isa wondered! I checked a few more and they all had oil in them. I saw the Hammer Bullets video showing a smoke trail and stating the vapor trail was actually smoke from burnt oil in the tip. I figured somebody accidently got gun oil/lube in that bullet. Nope, they must all have oil in them.

Out of all the posts, articles, and online research I've conducted, I have not seen this brought up yet. So, my questions:

Is the oil just merely left over from bullet making/machining the hole?
Is the oil in the holes to initiate hydrostatic opening of the tip/petals?
?

Attachments

• 089F05C5-CEE1-4867-8310-059E8B6C7B19.png
    089F05C5-CEE1-4867-8310-059E8B6C7B19.png
    531.6 KB · Views: 141
I've had the same thing happening with my hammers, it took me coming here to the form to figure out what's happening but it is quite fascinating. I've always pondered on if the oil coming out hurts stability or bc?

Attachments

• 7009DB15-0751-4532-AB76-0A5581E46E64.png
    7009DB15-0751-4532-AB76-0A5581E46E64.png
    706.8 KB · Views: 64
There was a good amount of me being serious about doping the nose of a bullet to see if the effect can be created on demand. Then shoot back to back pairs of a doped versus an alcohol cleaned bullet and check drop. It's something I've never considered before because most meplat openings are either super small or have a polymer tip.

For science :cool: Not because I'm a mad scientist.