I cant decide...help haha

greenecj

Ok I have been debating for months on what long range rifle I want to build. I'm going to build off a doner Remington 700 action. I have narrowed it down to two calibers. The 28 nolser or a 300 ultra.

I was thinking of the 28 nolser throated out to receive the 195 bergers to get the high B.C. of the caliber

With the 300 ultra I would get an extended mag and make sure its throated to seat the 225 bergers out further.

I've hunted with a 300 ultra since I was 16. So I dont know if it's just a confidence thing that I keep wanting to go back to that caliber. I know the 29 nolser would have a little better bc
Gaaaaaaaa I dont know. Help me choose!

Ok I have been debating for months on what long range rifle I want to build. I'm going to build off a doner Remington 700 action. I have narrowed it down to two calibers. The 28 nolser or a 300 ultra.

I was thinking of the 28 nolser throated out to receive the 195 bergers to get the high B.C. of the caliber

With the 300 ultra I would get an extended mag and make sure its throated to seat the 225 bergers out further.

I've hunted with a 300 ultra since I was 16. So I dont know if it's just a confidence thing that I keep wanting to go back to that caliber. I know the 29 nolser would have a little better bc
2nd on the 300

What kind of critters will you be hunting on a yearly basis and to what ranges?

What kind of critters will you be hunting on a yearly basis and to what ranges?
90% whitetail and same sized game. Not saying the gun wont be going on an elk hunt in the future tho.
Most of my shots are under 800 but I do have a hand full of places I can get out to 1200+

I have both. The 28 has less blast, maybe a little less recoil. It also has shorter barrel life. The RUM is a bigger hammer. Choose your poision. I like them both. I take the RUM when i am really serious.

90% whitetail and same sized game. Not saying the gun wont be going on an elk hunt in the future tho.
Most of my shots are under 800 but I do have a hand full of places I can get out to 1200+

In that case zero doubt in my mind to go with the 28. What state do you live in?

Good question, the fella said 90% of his game will be deer. Most shots sub 800.

For me, I won't tote a gun that's over 9 lbs all ready to roll (sling, rounds, glass, bipod) and I absolutely despise brakes!

I've worn thru several barrels shooting off the ground shooting chucks with big 7's, 300's and 340's. I like to shoot a lot, and I want to feel comfy shooting from any position. As much as I like the 300 RUM, when it's set up the way I would do so then I have no interest in it. For me I can do all I want as far as I want with my 7 Mashburn Super (the 28 Noz that was conceived in the 50's).

We're talking deer here, we use our 22/250 for most all the small big game (lope/deer) that we take. If we can consistently take them out with this gun to 500 then I have Zero issues going 2x as far with a Big 7.

But, that's just my way and my style.

If I had 100 guys shoot a Big 7 set up the way I do for 100 rounds off the ground on an afternoon for chucks and then do the same with the RUM with the same set up how many guys do you think will do as well with the RUM......? This is shooting off the ground, field conditions, no benches, no brakes, just come as you may just like any other hunting. Hike, spot, hit the turf and shoot in a very short time. I would bet on the Big 7 guys cleaning up all the time.

Again, this is just my way it doesn't need to fit others ways:)

If your decision relies heavily on BC then consider the Berger .245 (G1=.807) as supposed to Berger 195 (G1=.755).

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts