I can't decide...

BlackSS

I've ordered my first decent rifle and really can't decide on an optic.
The gun is a heavy barrel savage 25.06
I'm looking at a budget of $600-$700
Will be used for target, deer out to 500 yards or so, and maybe some varmint shooting.

I've been kind of hung up on getting a front focal plane reticle, but the more I think about it the less I think I will actually do much ranging with the scope. I've done a fair amount of shooting, but when it comes to real long range shooting I'm pretty much a novice. I've decided my best chance for success will be with a range finder.

I would also like a fairly wide magnification range, or at least a wide field of view.

Will I be happy with a bushnell 6500 elite 2.5 x 16? It seems to have everything I am looking for, and I see no reason I should be unhappy with the scope. I know Bushnell is not Zeiss or Swarovski, but for this kind of cash it should be a good 500 yard scope I would hope??

Should I look at a model with target knobs and a mil dot or something like the DOA 600?

TIA

I've been kind of hung up on getting a front focal plane reticle, but the more I think about it the less I think I will actually do much ranging with the scope. Good idea. I've learn that ranging w/mil dots is about as accurate as asking my wife "how far is that?"

I've decided my best chance for success will be with a range finder. Great idea. Don't go whole hog on the choice. Something advertised for 800 yds would be appropriate.

I would also like a fairly wide magnification range, or at least a wide field of view.

Will I be happy with a bushnell 6500 elite 2.5 x 16? Yep you will.

Should I look at a model with target knobs and a mil dot or something like the DOA 600? Hmmmm??? W/a 25-06 to 500 hold overs wouldn't be much. Target knobs would be appropriate but wouldja have time to adjust before the shot opportunity goes away. A drop compensated reticle may be more useful and probably faster. Your personal preference will prevail.
TIA

What I've learned is that for Long Range hunting the extra time to 'dial in' isn't much of a factor. By long range hunting I mean ambushing from a hide where the game is seen for a long time before the shot is made.

For hunting in the 500-600 yard range, with opportunities possible much longer, my carry gun's scope is a mil dot. This is usually walk and stalk hunting with little opportunity for messing with turrets.

HTH.

Thanks for the reply.

Any more opinions on the reticle or target knobs?

In this scope I can get mil dot with target knobs, or a bullet drop reticle w/o target knobs. No target knobs on anything except the mil dot "tactical" version,

Here are some to consider.

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-6-24x50-Elite-4200-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P8746.aspx: Very nice scope. I have used it and seems to offer more variable power than the 6500.

http://swfa.com/Nikon-6-18x40-Buckmaster-Riflescope-P42257.aspx: I own one with the target dot, but this one will give you the ballistics option if you want to go that route. I really like Nikon optics and their customer service.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Crossfire-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P13295.aspx: This model has been given good reviews by guys on this sight that are currently using it. It doesn't cost a ton, but should not be overlooked.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-65-20x44-Viper-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P11231.aspx: This model will more than likely be my next purchase or the PST model.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Viper-PST-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P44564.aspx: High on the list of wants!

I would also suggest some of the Sightron SIII, but they are out of the price range you are looking into.

Tank

I just put a Viper Vortex 6.5 x 20 x 44 on my 300 wsm and it is great, fired 10 rounds so far doing barrel breakin and the adjustments are right on..

The whole Vortex line seems to be very nice. I went with a Crossfire from Vortex, and I'm very pleased. Many members on the Savageshooters forum have given thier stamp of approval, also.

Well, I think I would be ok with spending a little more, but I want a wilder field of view than a 6x will provide.
I'm still up in the air as to what I will get. I probably have some time though because Savage is taking forever to build the gun. It's been 6 weeks and they can't even give me a date. I will NEVER order another custom gun from them. They only have one lady that knows what is actually going on in the custom shop and she absolutely never 100% of the time returns phone calls. She is nearly impossible to get on the phone as well... :end rant:

Well, I think I would be ok with spending a little more, but I want a wilder field of view than a 6x will provide.
I'm still up in the air as to what I will get. I probably have some time though because Savage is taking forever to build the gun. It's been 6 weeks and they can't even give me a date. I will NEVER order another custom gun from them. They only have one lady that knows what is actually going on in the custom shop and she absolutely never 100% of the time returns phone calls. She is nearly impossible to get on the phone as well... :end rant:

I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, anytime you get anything custom, it takes time to put it together. My guess is that they are very busy due to their excellent product. ;) Though sounds like they need someone else on the phone. That just sounds like bad business.

Tank

I would not over look the Horis vision line of scopes, they are quality and they have the ability to graduate with you as you get more and more comfortable with long distances. you also do not have to use the turrets to get you to 1000 and you can range if you forget your range finder. their math is simple and the system, though intimidating looking is really very simple.
Horus Vision : System 5

not only that but they have a sample shooter so you can try the system.

750 should get you a 3-12.

I also shoot Sightron SIIIs and love the repeatability of their dials, they are every bit of a nightforce without the reticle options.

your idea of the bushnell is not bad but remember that you will eventually want to shoot way out, because this stuff is addicting.
Last is the Millett line and the Hilux optics line. they are in the 350 to 450 range and can do what you want provided that you are not super picky with adjustments and use the internal reticle holdovers. I cannot say that totally for the Hilux as it is a very tight system.
marc7a1.jpg

The Kid

The wait is not what is really irritating me, i would appreciate an honest estimate up front, but I understand that stuff happens. What bothers me is the complete and total lack of communication and ignoring messages.

I really like the horus reticle, but have heard quite a few negative things about the scopes themselves.

I actually thought I had decided what I wanted but it turns out that it is not a scope that is available. I wanted a Zeiss 4.5 x 14 - 50 with target turrets and a rapid Z 800. Zeiss does not make that scope with the 800, only with a rapid Z1000. :(

Well, I talked to Savage today finally after about 10 messages I finally got a call back. They don't have the stock for a long action, so I changed to a 270 WSM.
Still undecided on the scope though.

You know what I think I may have to resend my statement about the Sightron SIII. I just ran the 338 through its paces today with about 50 rounds down range and on round 39 I noticed a small speck on the inside of the eyepiece. It is part of the front ocular and can be moved with the parelax focus. I did not expect this at all, especially just a day after I wrote what I wrote, but you can bet I will send this scope in for replacement.

Montanarifleman I stand humbled.

The Kid.
dfsd006.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.