Help decide

DXHI

Guys .. My dad gave me his old rifle my grandad bought him for Christmas when he was 13. It's one I cut my teeth on and killed many a whitetail with it. Precision Accuracy with it has been minimal. With hand loads at best I can get 1.5" group.

I've been trying to decide if I should rebarrel (same caliber) and new stock
Or let it be and get me a new one. Part of me wants to leave it be and retire it due to the sentiment behind it..

The other wants to keep it in use and bring it back to its old glory

If it was me... And I have a few of my grandads guns(whom passed away a year ago) leave them be and keep the memories, buy a new gun and make more memories and pass them on to your kids or family.

My families take in it is to rebarrel grandpa's gun and bring back the precision so it can stay in use for more generations but not altering it beyond recognition. I know guns I pass one that were ment to hunt with Id want them to stay hunting and adding history!!

Might help to have some info like caliber, make, model, round count, has it ever been cleaned and such. I only mod Savages as t makes more sense to spend $900 for a real action if you are shooting Remmy style stuff. Just me tho.

Guys .. My dad gave me his old rifle my grandad bought him for Christmas when he was 13. It's one I cut my teeth on and killed many a whitetail with it. Precision Accuracy with it has been minimal. With hand loads at best I can get 1.5" group.

Or let it be and get me a new one. Part of me wants to leave it be and retire it due to the sentiment behind it..

Didn't you just order the 5R Milspec in .300WM?

To me, a rifle is only worth how well it will shoot, but some hold more sentimental value than others. You can always keep the sentimental value, and rebarrel it, and keep it mostly original, and still be able to enjoy it. But I agree with Rhian (bigngreen) that I think your dad would like to see you enjoy it and use it like he did all those years, and by rebarreling it, you can keep it in use for many years to come, and even pass it down through the generations someday. Maybe talk to him, and see what he thinks you should do with it? If he's cool with you rebarreling it to keep it in use as an accurate hunting rifle, then that's the route I'd go.

But, it is your rifle, you have to do with it what feels right to you. That is a decision that nobody can make but you.

Mudrunner I did just order!
Came in today . Can't figure out how to post pics.. But I figured I'd wait until my scope came too

What action? Has it been floated and pillar bedded?

I inherited a target .22 from my grandad when I was shooting competitively and had the same discussion with my dad and he just laughed and said his dad would be proud to see it get a "makeover" as long as I could be successful with it.

I wouldn't feel the least bit bothered at the idea of upgrading it unless he'd told you specifically at some point to always leave it exactly as it is. If he ever did so then I'd just start with something new and put that one up as a keepsake.

Mudrunner I did just order!
Came in today . Can't figure out how to post pics.. But I figured I'd wait until my scope came too

Good deal. Be sure to take it out of the stock and scrub all the cosmoline and grease out of the action and bore before shooting it. Also, if you have a proper inch-pound torque wrench I recommend re-torquing the 2 action screws (the ones that go through the stock into the receiver) to 65 inch-pounds. Also, follow recommended torque specs on the rail and scope rings, too.

What do you think so far?

Also, I use a PhotoBucket account. It's free and they also have a smartphone app where you can take pictures with your phone and upload them straight to your PB account.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.