Huskemaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Huskemaw?

Tikkamike, nothing wrong with 1/3 MOA adjuctments IMHO. I shoot mill turrets and 1/3 MOA is close to 1 tenth of a mill

.349 inches per click for the 1/3 MOA adjustment and .358 for 1 tenth of a Mill adjustment at 1 hundred yards.

I had the same resorvations about the courser adjustments until I started useing the mill system and found that it worked just fine for me

I have to agree with a few of the comments here for sure I think it is priced to high for what it is 1k+. I could get a Leupold or Nightforce for a bit more so id best save my money a little longer. If it where in the 500 dollar range they would sell like hot cakes. I have never seen one but I would buy one based on what I have heard if it where more affordable.

I think you just seen a lemon and it happens with everybody scopes your cousin and his wife are just not as experienced as you. They have the money to buy good stuff but that does not make up for experience.

Jon

BHHUNTER,

No John Porter was by far the best shooter out there. when we were sitting at 915 to 1170 he was hitting a pretty regular basis.

This is an interesting subject. I have been curious and I hope to try a huskemaw some day although I am very satisfied with what I now have. I don't have a huskemaw scope but I have had Leupolds and I currently have a couple of Nightforces and 2 Nikons.

I could get a Leupold or Nightforce for a bit more
I like my Nightforce scopes but they cost more than a little more than what I think the huskemaw does. I think with a zero stop, which the huskemaw has, a Nightforce is now around $1800 making it 50% more than a huskemaw. I don't know how much those special turrets things cost but my Nightforce doesn't have one of those either.

well i guess i speak for the BOTW boys. first off let me say thanks to mike for having us out to his neck of the woods for a great day of shooting. conditions were perfect. great shooting by both parties. mike let me say this to you personally. you did a really good job with your set up. probaly the best ive seen with a hold over reticle system.
let me start by saying when we set up the target we put it in a draw with a hill about 35-40 yards behind and a hill about 60-70 yards in front. it was impossible to get a range on the target. you were either hitting the hill in front or the one behind. we wanted it to be like something you would find out hunting. not saying this for excuses just letting you know the set up.
now to the shooting. the first range went just like mike had said BOTW 3 for 3 and mike 1 for 3. the next range mike had said BOTW hit nothing but the he did hit for sure 2 for 4 and a good possiblity of 3 for 4 (3rd just nicking the plate) and mike 2 for 3. then we moved back to 900 and 1200 and just shot fun. not that any of the shooting matter because this was all to prove the clearity of the scope. which i heard mike say him self say he could not tell a difference between his or the huskemaw. but all in all mike your system works for you and your pretty **** good with it. but i will stick with huskemaw and still think if set up right is the EASIEST and FASTEST system for the AVERAGE shooter.
pretty much everyone out there had shot the gunwerks/best of the west shooting system and all were hitting what they amied at with it and were very impressed with the system. even at 1200 yds with having never shot the system before. with a few saying that they would be getting a scope soon.
i would like to finish up by saying again thanks for having us out there and a great day of shooting with a great bunch of guys. i would also like to thank mikes parents for taking all of us BOTW boys out to dinner afterwards.

Last edited:

Yes it was a very good time lots of shooting going on. I think we should do it again maybe not the whole camera crew and everything just go out and shoot some praiarie dogs or maybe we can go grab some doe antelope tags in the fall. that would probably be too much fun.

Very interesting post and reviews by all. I'm glad that we have a forum that lets member openly express their respective views on products w/out everyone else calling them out for "product basing". Someone's opinion is someone's opinion. Take the negatives with the positives and evaluate accordingly. I have shot the Huskemaw side by side with a VX-3 and did notice that the glass was not on par with the Leupold. In my opinion there is no feasible way to benchmark optical clairity, and its more of a gut feel. But I can tell you this, I can clearly notice a difference when I pick up my dad's Swaro EL's, my VX-3, my VX-III, and my nikon spotter (in that order of decending quality).

I am by no means experienced or professional in the long range field but there are a lot of things about BOTW that make me scratch my head.

First of which is Aaron Davidson, "Product Engineer". Aaron seems like a very intelligent individual and has a great base knowledge of LRH/LRS. But the way that the whole Huskemaw product came about is somewhat interesting to me. I went to school for Mechanical Engineering and Physics and all I know is this. There is no way that, by myself as a "Product Engineer", I could sit down and design a new scope from the ground up and say it was as good as the others mentioned in this forum. They more than likely have teams of engineers that have years of R&D, testing, and re-design that make their products what they are. So where did this scope come from? What design did he tweak and buy the patents out on? It's ok to break the mold and go out on you own, but don't buy out an old patent on a Jap scope, tweak it, and market it as a NF when its really more like a Bushnell.

In addition, they have also "designed" and produced their own stocks and custom actions.....in the same time frame as the scope. Seems to me like thats more than one "Product Engineer" can handle in that amount of time and make quality components. My guess, is that like the scope, the actions and stocks are probably tweaks of existing items or they may even just buy the stuff from someone else and assemble it as "their system". Which is fine, b/c it works and works well.

Like I said, I don't like to bash anyone's stuff. And these guys have done a lot of things the right way. I really like their wind doping tips on the show and have used them sucessfully. I guess its just a personal rant of mine that I've been wanting to let out as an engineer and the way that I think I see things happening behind the scenes. I work as part of a field service team and we have a fab shop that works in the power industry and I know hands on what it takes to make new products/components that work well and break them into the market against the "big boys". Its tough, it takes time, and a TEAM of good people.

If it was me I'd either say the stuff was made by the people who made it or I don't think I could look at myself square in the mirror every night.

Everyone has their opinion, this is just mine. Take it as you wish...

Comparing a Huskemaw to a Zeiss is a bad day for the Huskemaw.Zeiss has been building optics for a long long time they know their stuff..

Comparing a Huskemaw to a Zeiss is a bad day for the Huskemaw.Zeiss has been building optics for a long long time they know their stuff..

So what would be a fair comparison?

Something in the same price class, or something with the same optical quality?

Wow!!! I would think if they worked for BOTW that there scopes would be prestine. This is the first negative review I have heard on their scopes.

What did your cousin think about the optical quality between your Zeiss and there Huske?
If you google that scope (I did because I am looking for a new scope), you will see that most of the positive links can all be traced back to this forum. On other forums, the reviews were less than positive. The general consensus of users is that the glass is not very good nor clear.
More over priced made in China crap.

So what would be a fair comparison?

Something in the same price class, or something with the same optical quality?

You are absolutely correct. If they want to charge the high end price like Ziess and others, then they need to produce the same or better quality. Age and experience really have nothing to do with this. A new company can buy the same quality lens and install them in a quality tube and produce a clear image. The problem is these cheap China manufacturers are using crappy, poor quality glass, and trying to charge the same money as a Ziess or NF.

The problem is these cheap China manufacturers are using crappy, poor quality glass, and trying to charge the same money as a Ziess or NF.

I agree with the first part about china manufacturers but, it ain't them that's charging the same money...it's the distibutors and sellers, many in the US...it's called outsourcing...which in many ways is a big joke. Just look at RCBS lots of it coming in from china at a significant cost savings to RCBS...Have ya seen any cost savings passed on to the consumer-NOPE. Corporate America in the last 15 years has found a new money maker-Outsourcing. PS you get screwed 2x. Once when you don't benefit from any lower prices and secondly... millions of jobs lost to overseas which just makes the economy worse for all of us except Corporate America Exec's.

PS I don't capitalize the C in china and go way out of my way not to buy "made in china"...not until they have a better record on both human rights and product quality...I'm not funding them.

Last edited:

If you google that scope (I did because I am looking for a new scope), you will see that most of the positive links can all be traced back to this forum. On other forums, the reviews were less than positive. The general consensus of users is that the glass is not very good nor clear.
More over priced made in China crap.

Is your axe dull or what, the reason most searches lead to this site is that it is a LONG RANGE HUNTING OPTIC and this is thee LONG RANGE HUNTING SITE so your going to naturally find more info here than anywhere.
China is the largest importer of high precession CNC lathes and mills right now, they have the capability to make anything you spec out, if you get a crappy scope from China it is because it was spec'ed that way by the US importer, and that who is jacking you up not China!!!!!!

Bigngreen, with all due respect and I mean that. china can buy all the cnc etc they want but, that alone doesn't produce quality, there's alot of other skills needed beyond a cnc to produce quality and china doesn't have those skill set in sufficient quantities. They do not have the capability to build anything you spec out...they are about mass production and doubt they could for instance build a top of the line BR or LRH rig/scopes or space shuttle parts or precision medical equipment. Realistically would you order your next LRH rig from china or have no reservations about OR room life support systems made in china? You can try to lay all the blame on the companies specs and I suppose to some extent there are companies willing to except looser tolerences but, companies that aren't and where tolerances are critical don't outsource to china. Perhaps their purchasing of cnc etc is their attempt at getting into the higher precision stuff and thinking they will still be able to keep labor costs down. If so they will find out in the long run they will need the skilled craftman...and guess what cost goes up. There's no free ride, it's economics, it's math-plus and minus.

I don't want to get into a pee contest on this...suffice to say that all those highly skilled US employee who's jobs were outsourced didn't go with the job to china. I'll give you the last word.

Status
Not open for further replies.