Huskemaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Huskemaw?

Huntinfool18
This whole demo monday is about the clarity of the scope remember. The "shootout" is just for fun and some bragging rights. What I am after is finding out if it was a defective scope, or improperly adjusted or just a fluke deal...or maybe even I was right and the scope just wasnt clear. Monday will tell. Bring some guns were gonna shoot metal and maybe paper it should be a good time. You should bring one of your night forces I am wanting to buy one for my current build maybe I could learn a thing or 2 from you about them. I need to talk to Robbie and figure out what time and one of us will let you know.

thanks for the replys mike. and thanks for the invite i will bring my 338 lapua and im sure we will all have a good time. i will talk to the boys at BOTW to see what time this is going to happen and i will meet everyone in basin

No I will be having a (284Jazz)7-338 norma mag done in the next week or two. Not much info out on the norma mags yet necked down to 7mm. I won't make the shoot either. We have had a rash of sickness in our blasting dept. I am the only one left so I won't be going anywhere for awhile.

I have three full customs:
6X47lapua NF nxs 5.5-22X56

7wsm 200freebore NF nxs 5.5-22X56

284Jazz NF nxs 5.5-22X56

Man that shoot sounds like it will be a blast. I do have to come down to Spearfish in late April for the "Best of the west" blasting conference.

Brent

Last edited:

BH, nothing just going to get some knowledge from the ATF, MSHA, PSC. We get to see all the new cool stuff that is out also.

Brent

Re: Huskemaw? THE CONCLUSION

Today was the big shoot. A lot of anticipation on both ends came to a surprising conclusion. I will tell the story as it happened and you come to your own conclusion. The equipment used were as follows.

Myself Factory Tikka T3 Lite chambered in 25-06 shooting winchester brass and 110gr Nosler Accubonds. Scope is a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x 40mm Rapid Z800.

Best of The West Cooper 6.5x284 Norma Brass and 140gr Burgers, and a Custom 6.5x284 shooting the same load. both with Huskemaw Scopes

When they got there they took their gong out to what we ranged as 575 I bielieve. First they shot the cooper and hit it all 3 times. The pressure was on. Then I shot and missed the first 2 times and hit the third. conditions were really good so I am not sure what happened. next we backed up to what I had ranged at 780. I shot first this time and knew if I jacked it up that was it I only had 20 yards more and my scope was no longer usefull so this was my last chance. I shot the first shot and it was about 2 foot high high and right. I had no idea how that happened but I kept on and hit it the next 2 times. Then they shot and missed all 3 shots and at least one more after that I cant say for sure how many were fired from that distance but I know it was at least 4. I think it was just 4 that they fired. They never hit it at that range and we moved back so I was no longer a player with my equipment. So as far as the shooting goes I had one more hit than they did. The shooting outside my range was not overly impressive either but that could easily have been human error. The only way for me to truly tell if I think the scope performs the way i want it to is for me to have one and play with it and see how it does. inside 800 I dont think you can beat the Rapid Z800

However this was not about shooting or how well either of our equipment. functioned. It was about clarity. I have to say the clarity of their scope surprised me in a big way. The scopes were much clearer this time than they were last time. Now weither it was bad conditions or some freak happening is only speculation because we can not go back in time and relive the scenerio. I do know that on that given day my Zeiss was not experiencing any of the problems the Huskemaw was, nor were my Leicas. Today the Huskemaw was quite clear. Compared side by side to my Zeiss the Zeiss was a little brighter despite smaller objective and the edges were a little crisper. I had a lengthy conversation with John Porter telling him my concerns and he had an answer for everything and I do not think it was BS at all either he is a true believer in the product, The Huskemaw has one advantage that stuck out to me. The turrets can be built so that your moa references are the same one one rifle as the next so there is nothing to remember from gun to gun and turret to turret if you hunt different areas and different guns. However the subject of clarity was different he admits you can not beat european glass even though the Huskemaw has some of the best glass japan has to offer it is not as good as European. Another thing he said was that he feels the strength of the Huskemaw is very good. He puts a lot of miles on horse back hunting sheep and elk and all over alaska. and says it has held up very well and he has Broken a few Leupolds. He is obviously an extreem case on scopes but thats where you find limitations is in extreme situations. Probably not as indestructable as the Night Force he says. John was very helpfull and a pleasure to shoot with.
Here are the things I maybe do not understand completely but Dislike about the Scope. 1/3 MOA clicks, They do it so the scope has more adjustment in a single revolution, But I would opt for the finer Adjustment of 1/4 MOA. the difference is small till you shoot 1200 yards. then it becomes significant. I also Wish it were brighter. Maybe its just me and My eye but I expected it to be brighter with a 50mm objective. and of course the crisper edges. BUT that could have just been me because not everyone agreed the edges were not crisp. It was definatly not as bright though. But not unacceptable.

In conclusion The scope that looked like it was full of water looked much better today than before. and based on the results of the shooting from 0 to 800 yards (which is my max range with the Rapid Z800) I dont think you can beat the Zeiss and i dont think they will argue that either. I am not sure it is worth the price tag to me because I don't know that anyone can convince me with anything short of one of my Leupolds failing me that for me and my use that Leupold or Night force for a little more is possible to beat. I am not saying the Huskemaw is a bad Optic I think its a good one. If it woks for you use it. I will definatly be shooting with these guys again as i learn more and keep you all updated on my findings. What do you guys think?

A good and honest report. Thank you. Sounds like you guys had fun.
Also sounds like its a personal preferance thing..... I would agree. Huskemaw scopes (again with my limmited use) DO work like they say they do. Glass clarity tho, seems to differ somewhat person to person.
Ex. Some people like Snap on tools some like Mac, and still others like Crafstman. Bottom line, If it gets the job done for you, and you feel its worth the $, then go for it. Stocks, barrels, bullets, and scopes....My Chevy is better than your Ford.....
Im glad the test went well for all the participants, tho Im sure next time around youll both get more ''hits'' with out all the people looking over your shoulder. Thanks again for the report:D

I total agree Mike. Today went pretty well. I'm new to all this so my two cents isn't even worth that. But I was there and I did look through both. The Zeiss was definitely brighter and sharper.

Interesting. John Porter had trouble hitting the gong w/ his system? I do not know him from Adam but I understand he is an accomplished shooter. I bet it was a good day.

Your report sounds to be fair and objective. I think they will probably sell alot of them. Most important to me is that there doesn't seem to be any fluff/bs to their claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.